ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EU citizen family - rights to work in other EU countries?

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

tebee
United Kingdom

EU citizen family - rights to work in other EU countries?

Post by tebee » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:52 pm

Just a theoretical question, if my non-eu family join me and get a residence permit in the country I live it, do they have any rights to work in other countries assuming I don't move with them ?

Is the UK a special case as usual ?
“I speak the truth not so much as I would, but as much as I dare: and I dare a little more as I grow older.

SRAQAI

Re: EU citizen family - rights to work in other EU countries

Post by SRAQAI » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:29 am

tebee wrote:Just a theoretical question, if my non-eu family join me and get a residence permit in the country I live it, do they have any rights to work in other countries assuming I don't move with them ?

Is the UK a special case as usual ?
No. You have to move with them to the other EU country. So you literally have to up sticks and move yourself (and home, and job, and dog or cat and chickens) to another EU member state. Your non EU spouse cannot be on their own, unless they want to under a normal visit visa.

tebee
United Kingdom

Post by tebee » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:28 am

Ah - that's a little unfortunate. It's my step-son, who is currently finishing a medical degree back in his own country.

Unfortunately where I live, France, will not recognize it when he completes it - medical training is different in France, doctors train for 9 - 11 years.

But it would be accepted back in the UK, and if he did his probationary time there , when he is registered to practice by the GMC he can work in France !

So it looks like we may all have to move back to the UK for a while ......
“I speak the truth not so much as I would, but as much as I dare: and I dare a little more as I grow older.

casper_aks
Newly Registered

Post by casper_aks » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:19 am

tebee wrote:Ah - that's a little unfortunate. It's my step-son, who is currently finishing a medical degree back in his own country.

Unfortunately where I live, France, will not recognize it when he completes it - medical training is different in France, doctors train for 9 - 11 years.

But it would be accepted back in the UK, and if he did his probationary time there , when he is registered to practice by the GMC he can work in France !

Exactly, you have to move to the UK before you apply for GMC registration for your step-son
There's BIG difference between (having) the right, and (exercising) the right

SRAQAI

Post by SRAQAI » Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:29 am

tebee wrote:Ah - that's a little unfortunate. It's my step-son, who is currently finishing a medical degree back in his own country.

Good luck. This whole EU palava gets people running around like headless chickens, sometimes I think it would be easier to just apply for a visa directly to the UK. The French dont seem to recognise anything apart from their own nation. Im attempting to apply for a UK visit visa for my hubby to come here and then together from UK we gonna try ireland. Keepingwell away from continental europe.

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru
Location: does not matter if you are with your EEA family member

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:02 am

tebee, what is your citizenship? How old is your step-son?

UK is never a special case. Rules work the same there as elsewhere for free movement of direct family members (like your step-son)