ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

University letter from school in U.S.?

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Rb
Newly Registered

University letter from school in U.S.?

Post by Rb » Fri Mar 09, 2007 4:54 pm

Hi, I've searched and wasn't able to find any info on this. I received a Bachelors degree from a university in the United States. I'm an American citizen and will be applying from the US. Do I still need a letter from my university saying that my classes were taught in english?

tomkin

Post by tomkin » Fri Mar 09, 2007 11:08 pm

Unfortunately, yes

Rb
Newly Registered

Post by Rb » Mon Mar 12, 2007 4:14 pm

nileshratan wrote:Unfortunately, yes
Thanks for clearing that up.

I just have to vent and say that I find this requirement totally ridiculous. Any state university in the US is going to be taught in English.

pantaiema
Diamond Member

Post by pantaiema » Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:51 pm

Indeed this is ridiculous. If someone like Rb, who were born, educated and have been living/working in the US can not speak english, who else HSMP aplicants could speak english ???
Another mistakes from poeple who design HSMP, I suppose.

In fact, for the person who has qualified for HSMP, to get IELTS of 6.0 is just a peace of cake.

Pantaiema

Rb wrote:
nileshratan wrote:Unfortunately, yes
Thanks for clearing that up.

I just have to vent and say that I find this requirement totally ridiculous. Any state university in the US is going to be taught in English.

ADR
Newly Registered

University letter from school in US?

Post by ADR » Mon Mar 12, 2007 7:44 pm

It is utterly ridiculous!
I'm a Canadian with two masters' degrees from two different UK universities but they only accept bachelors' degrees for automatic proof of English language proficiency.
Just another money maker as far as I'm concerned.

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:38 pm

Any state university in the US is going to be taught in English.
This is a genuine question, so don't shout at me for asking it!

Given the number of Spanish speakers now living in the US, are there actually any universities in the US teaching any of their courses in Spanish?
John

pantaiema
Diamond Member

Re: University letter from school in US?

Post by pantaiema » Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:25 pm

ALso FYI, as your mother tongue is english, IELTS administtor wil not allowed you to sit for IELTS. IELTS is only for people whose mother tongue is not english. It is clearly mentioned on IELTS guidelines.

So the only evidence of complience with english requirement, is to ask letter from the university where you got your BSc degree.

Another loophole (mistakes) Let take for Instance, you are native Canadian, stay in english speaking part of Canada until finished high school and then toolk Bachelor Degree in "French" speaking part of Canada. GO to UK take 2 (two) master's degree in the UK. Work quite a while in the UK.

If you are about to apply for HSMP how could you meet HSMP english requirement ?.
Keep in mind:
- Your BSc is not taguht in english
- You will not be allowed to sit for IELTS (by IELTS administrator, NOT HSMP team) as your mother tongue is english.

In this case you will never be able to meet the requirement

Hope the people who design this system aware of this mistake

Pantaiema

ADR wrote:It is utterly ridiculous!
I'm a Canadian with two masters' degrees from two different UK universities but they only accept bachelors' degrees for automatic proof of English language proficiency.
Just another money maker as far as I'm concerned.

tomkin

Post by tomkin » Wed Mar 14, 2007 12:42 pm

In this case I think you just have to lie for IELTS, that your mother tongue is not English.