ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

English language requirement for someone with A Level

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

tango2000
Newly Registered

English language requirement for someone with A Level

Post by tango2000 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:11 pm

Hi

I am on indefinite leave to remain in uk and I am going to apply for the settlement visa for my wife who is currently in Pakistan and about to complete her undergrad. I just want to know that does she need to have an IELTS for english language requirement considering that she has done A Levels (Cambridge system) and scored an A in english. She is currently an undergrad student at a good business school and about to complete her studies in 2 to 3 months

Thank you

Lucapooka
Respected Guru

Post by Lucapooka » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:32 pm

She does not need IELTS per se, but does need to have passed that or any of the other approved tests. Degree level education in English offers an exemption but certainly not for A levels.

st pauli

Post by st pauli » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:15 am

It does not exempt her. But at least the test will be a piece of cake.

DieselD

Re: English language requirement for someone with A Level

Post by DieselD » Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:40 am

tango2000 wrote:Hi

I am on indefinite leave to remain in uk and I am going to apply for the settlement visa for my wife who is currently in Pakistan and about to complete her undergrad. I just want to know that does she need to have an IELTS for english language requirement considering that she has done A Levels (Cambridge system) and scored an A in english. She is currently an undergrad student at a good business school and about to complete her studies in 2 to 3 months

Thank you
From October 2013 the English requirements will change to level B1 for spouses wanting to apply for ILR. Since she will ultimately apply for ILR she would need to pass an English test at B1 or higher.

I had O Level English passed by the Associated Examination Board UK and thought that was good enough, not. I ended up doing English ESOL A1 as a fiance only to discover I now have to pass B1 after October 2013. I have decided to do level C2 and be done with it.
Add your timeline to Skydrive for FLR(M)

st pauli

Re: English language requirement for someone with A Level

Post by st pauli » Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:55 am

DieselD wrote:
tango2000 wrote:Hi

Thank you
From October 2013 the English requirements will change to level B1 for spouses wanting to apply for ILR. Since she will ultimately apply for ILR she would need to pass an English test at B1 or higher.

I had O Level English passed by the Associated Examination Board UK and thought that was good enough, not. I ended up doing English ESOL A1 as a fiance only to discover I now have to pass B1 after October 2013. I have decided to do level C2 and be done with it.
A spouse visa is not ILR though, you have what, two and half years to take a test at B1 level? Why rush?