ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Work Permit to Tier 2

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

DietSnapple34
Newly Registered

Work Permit to Tier 2

Post by DietSnapple34 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:39 pm

Hi All

My WP was issued in July 2008 with an July of Aug 2013. I have been with the same company since the beginning of the WP , but my contract will be terminated in mid April. It looks like I will have a job offer to start on May 1st 2013.(same industry, same job/title)(there is going to be only 2 weeks gap). If my contract were not to be terminated, i would have qualified to apply for ILR at the end of June 2013.

My question is :

a) Can I still work with my current Work permit because it still has not expired yet ? Do i still need to apply for Tier2 even if I will use it only for two months (ie I qualify for ILR provided that i can combine my WP days and Tier2 days)

b) Can I combine my WP days and the Tier2 days to apply for ILR or do i have to satisfy the 5y rule under one visa ?

Thanks a lot for your help in advance

Kind Regards

Gagan1986

Re: Work Permit to Tier 2

Post by Gagan1986 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:11 pm

DietSnapple34 wrote:Hi All

My WP was issued in July 2008 with an July of Aug 2013. I have been with the same company since the beginning of the WP , but my contract will be terminated in mid April. It looks like I will have a job offer to start on May 1st 2013.(same industry, same job/title)(there is going to be only 2 weeks gap). If my contract were not to be terminated, i would have qualified to apply for ILR at the end of June 2013.

My question is :

a) Can I still work with my current Work permit because it still has not expired yet ? Do i still need to apply for Tier2 even if I will use it only for two months (ie I qualify for ILR provided that i can combine my WP days and Tier2 days)

b) Can I combine my WP days and the Tier2 days to apply for ILR or do i have to satisfy the 5y rule under one visa ?

Kind Regards
1. As soon as your contract is terminated you can't work for your existing employer. To start working with other employer you will have to start the tier 2 visa process. You are allowed to have a 60 day period gap within both the employments. So you will be fine in that instance. You cannot work with the difference employer with old work permit

2. Yes you can combine both WP and tier 2 provide the gap between both the jobs is not more than 60 days as it will then be considered as residence broken

DietSnapple34
Newly Registered

Re: Work Permit to Tier 2

Post by DietSnapple34 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:18 am

Gagan1986 wrote:
DietSnapple34 wrote:Hi All

My question is :

Kind Regards
1. As soon as your contract is terminated you can't work for your existing employer. To start working with other employer you will have to start the tier 2 visa process. You are allowed to have a 60 day period gap within both the employments. So you will be fine in that instance. You cannot work with the difference employer with old work permit

2. Yes you can combine both WP and tier 2 provide the gap between both the jobs is not more than 60 days as it will then be considered as residence broken

------------------------------

Thanks a lot for the useful information.. Currently having a WP , do I need to apply inside UK or outside UK for Tier 2 General ?

Thanks in advance again..

Kind Regards

Gagan1986

Post by Gagan1986 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:05 am

You can apply for extension within the Uk itself