ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR for dependent child above 18

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

gidoc

Post by gidoc » Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:58 pm

5) Yes, all three of us - we provided two reference numbers and got two tickets. One caseworker dealt with the application of myself and my wife, and at the same time the other one (in the neighbouring window) did that of our daughter. I was explicitly told not to worry for her, as her outcome would just follow our status.
That is a bit odd. In my case one case worker took both reference slips and dealt with the applications together. In fact the appointments were three hours apart but the case worker said it was okay to have them together.

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:05 pm

gidoc wrote:
This is incorrect too. I am in the same situation, so I am quite familiar with the rules and regulations for this situation. To be eligible for "Home fee" status and for Student Support(loan, grants etc). Your son should have settled status (ILR) by the "First day of First academic year"of his course(defined 1st September the year he started) .
No, you havent interpreted this correctly although you do say you know the rules by being in this situation.

You are correct about Home fee status at the start of the session, 1st or 15th Sept doesnt make a difference, so you should get this status when you get ILR.

However this rule doesnt apply to Student Loans, you just have to have settled status. if your application was rejected for this reason, you can contest it. However the problem as I see it is that at present you dont have ILR and the student loan status would already have been decided, on your current status.
You will be able to get this , if not this year, next year. i know of student loan being approved during the second year when ILR was obtained during that time.
the same rule does apply to student loans, you have to be settled on the first day of the first academic year of the course

See category 1

gidoc

Post by gidoc » Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:42 pm

the same rule does apply to student loans, you have to be settled on the first day of the first academic year of the course
Interesting, perhaps this has changed from earlier years! I know of course from personal experience that student loan has been awarded after the first year due to change in status ie getting ILR.

dimsav

Post by dimsav » Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:50 pm

gidoc wrote:
dimsav wrote:5) Yes, all three of us - we provided two reference numbers and got two tickets. One caseworker dealt with the application of myself and my wife, and at the same time the other one (in the neighbouring window) did that of our daughter. I was explicitly told not to worry for her, as her outcome would just follow our status.
That is a bit odd. In my case one case worker took both reference slips and dealt with the applications together. In fact the appointments were three hours apart but the case worker said it was okay to have them together.
Agree, I also expected that our applications would be dealt with by the same caseworker but this was not the case. I actually mentioned that to our caseworker and got "not to worry" back... Regarding appointment slots, indeed the original bookings might be quite far apart in time, but important are the actual "queue tokens" allocated to you during the initial "check-in" at PEO (according to which you'll be later called in to a caseworker). So, if you all come together at PEO then you get two neighbouring slots (or maybe even just one for all).

ppharish92
Newly Registered

Post by ppharish92 » Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:40 am

gidoc wrote:
No, you havent interpreted this correctly although you do say you know the rules by being in this situation.
Mate, I know I am right on this as I've been fighting for my case for about an year now.

ppharish92
Newly Registered

Post by ppharish92 » Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:43 am

gidoc wrote:
Interesting, perhaps this has changed from earlier years! I know of course from personal experience that student loan has been awarded after the first year due to change in status ie getting ILR.
Sadly, this is true. The rules have been changed in the Education (Student Support) Regulations 2009.

jhonarae
Newly Registered

Post by jhonarae » Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:17 pm

gidoc wrote:
applying myself this Friday with my wife and daughter who is 20, and have a question that might be relevant for the OP, too:

When a dependant child over 18 is applying at the same time with his/her parents, one must use a separate SET(O) form.
But which category should one tick in Section 3 of the form:
- the same as the main applicant (e.g. Tier 1/2, Work permit, etc)?
- or "Other" with further comments of his dependant status in the empty field at the bottom of the page?

"Dependant" category is not listed anywhere in the form, so I'm a bit in confusion what to tick...
Mark the same category as yours or you can use the option you mention, it doesnt make any difference. You should use SET O form only.

hi. gidoc,
i know you can help me. it seem you have a lot of knowledge and experience on the matter.
I started applying to some universities two months ago.
WE dont have or ILR yet, but it was applied on post. Like others i'm over 18 and entirely dependent to my parents.. All the universities I applied replied an offer butthe considered me as an international student. Hopefully we're gonna received the ILR on March. I will star my University on September. Can I change my status to home student as soon as I received my ILR. because I am very much worried about the high tuition fee....
thank you very much

vinny

Post by vinny » Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:57 pm

See also Fees.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

dimsav

Post by dimsav » Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:18 pm

jhonarae wrote:[Can I change my status to home student as soon as I received my ILR. because I am very much worried about the high tuition fee....
See my reply to you in the other thread. (Also, please avoid double-posting next time...)

vwhiting
Newly Registered

Post by vwhiting » Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:32 pm

On the Set O form, under section 5 (Finances), do you put your child over 18's income details (my daughter is part time student with a part time job), or do you put the main applicant's financial details (earnings, etc).

Hope someone can help answer this for me.