ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

name change and citizenship application

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

jinkazama_11
Member of Standing

name change and citizenship application

Post by jinkazama_11 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:54 pm

Hi
I have got a question regarding my wife's citizenship application.

She used her maiden surname after marriage and the same is used in entry clearance and ILR applications. The same maiden name is in her foreign passport. Now she wants to change her surname by using my surname. It's a hassle (coz of young kids) to go to London and change the name in her foreign passport.
What is the best way to approach her citizenship application
1)- Apply for citizenship using her maiden name i.e., name in her passport, once she get the certificate apply for passport with new surname.
2)- Apply using new surname, the name in her foreign passport would be different, will this cause any issues/delay in her application.
3)- change her surname in her foreign passport and then apply for naturalisation?

Hope someone will help me in this.

Thanks

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:57 pm

Option (2). Should be fine to change the name using the marriage certificate as evidence (for adopting the spouse surname).

jinkazama_11
Member of Standing

Post by jinkazama_11 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:00 pm

Jambo wrote:Option (2). Should be fine to change the name using the marriage certificate as evidence (for adopting the spouse surname).
Thank Jambo
Is there a need of explanation of this on page 13?

Thanks again for help

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:30 pm

She can if she wishes to although it would clear from what she fills in the form that this is what she wishes to do.

jinkazama_11
Member of Standing

Post by jinkazama_11 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:58 pm

Jambo wrote:She can if she wishes to although it would clear from what she fills in the form that this is what she wishes to do.
thanks alot for your help

superman555

Post by superman555 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:56 pm

Probably better if you do a deed poll and include this along with the marriage certificate in your application. This was what a friend of mine did and the application was approved with the new name on the certificate

jinkazama_11
Member of Standing

Post by jinkazama_11 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:27 am

superman555 wrote:Probably better if you do a deed poll and include this along with the marriage certificate in your application. This was what a friend of mine did and the application was approved with the new name on the certificate
thanks superman555

gg234

Re: name change and citizenship application

Post by gg234 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:19 am

According to the following link

https://www.gov.uk/change-name-deed-poll

If your wife want to add her married name as your new surname you don't need deed poll you just submit your marriage certificate

jinkazama_11
Member of Standing

Re: name change and citizenship application

Post by jinkazama_11 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:53 am

gg234 wrote:According to the following link

https://www.gov.uk/change-name-deed-poll

If your wife want to add her married name as your new surname you don't need deed poll you just submit your marriage certificate
According to this link it is clear that deed poll is not required in our case. We will send the marriage certificate and write little explanation on page 13 of AN form.

Thanks for your help guys, much appreciated.