ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

impact of the new soc code update to 2010 from 2000

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

tuanvo1982

Post by tuanvo1982 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:07 pm

I have a list of question to UKBA and I got responses. I am not happy with that but I just post to share to every one :

QUESTION :
Following some recent SOC 2010 changes will be applied from April-2013, we have some concerns about extending a Tier-2 employee this September 2013. His visa granted from September-2010 that means before 6th April 2011. Could you please confirm the information below.

1. We are using code "2132 Software professionals" so when we create a new COS for extending the employee's leave this September-2013, Should we use the new code "2136 Programmers and software development professionals" ?

2. 3 years ago, it was specified in the COS's that working hours would be 37.5 hours per week. In the new COS September-2013, would it be possible to reduce the hours to 35 per week due to the company policy?

3. Which type of appropriate salary rate for the job code 2136 should we consider : New entrant: £24,000 or Experienced worker: £29,800 when do extension?

4. Can we pro-rate down the salary as such : £29,800 (annual salary) based on 39 hours per week is the equal to (£29,800/39 hours)*35 hours = around £26,744 based on 35 hours per week? so could I use "Experienced worker" with £26,744 and 35 hours per week to qualify to extend the employee visa?

Also we would like to use your responses for case-worker when we apply extension this September 2013.

ANSWER

1. As a result of the update to the SOC Codes some of the existing job codes will no longer be available, some codes will be amended and new codes will be introduced. If you as the sponsor think that the new code 2136 is the most appropriate one from all the codes that are available from 6th April 2013 then you may use this code of practice for assigning a new certificate of sponsorship.

2. Due to the current economic climate, we are aware that some employers are temporarily reducing workers’ hours to avoid making redundancies. A reduction in a workers’ hours is allowed provided the following conditions are met:
a) the migrant has a current grant of leave under Tier 2; and
b) the migrant is continuing to work in the same job, with reduced working hours; and
c) the migrant’s reduced working hours are part of a company-wide policy to avoid redundancies; and
d) you are not treating migrant workers more, or less favourably than settled workers; and
e) the migrant’s pay or working hours do not reduce by more than 30%; and
f) any reduction in wages is proportionate to the reduction in hours; and
g)the arrangements will be in place for no more than one year

If these conditions are met, a change of employment application is not needed and the sponsor will only need to report migrant activity to inform the UKBA of any changes to the hours and salary.

3. Only, in the following situations can an individual be paid the new entrant rate, otherwise the individual must be paid at the experienced worker rate.

• graduates switching from Tier 4 into Tier 2 under our post-study provisions;
• graduate recruits where the employer has used a university “milkround” to satisfy the Resident Labour Market Test;
• those sponsored in the Intra-Company Transfer Graduate Trainee route; and
• anyone aged 25 or under on the date of their initial Tier 2 application (analysis shows that workers normally reach the 25th percentile by age 26).

In all cases, applicants will not be classed as new entrant employees if they are applying to extend their total stay in Tier 2 and/or as a work permit holder beyond 3 years and 1 month (the maximum grant for initial Tier 2 applications)

4. A salary can be pro-rated if the employee will be working less than full-time hours provided the gross salary will still satisfy the minimum salary threshold for Tier.

Please note that the information, provided in this email may be subject to change as the response is based on information that is still subject to parliamentary approval.

JS28
Member of Standing

Post by JS28 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:24 pm

tuanvo1982 wrote:I have a list of question to UKBA and I got responses. I am not happy with that but I just post to share to every one :

QUESTION :
Following some recent SOC 2010 changes will be applied from April-2013, we have some concerns about extending a Tier-2 employee this September 2013. His visa granted from September-2010 that means before 6th April 2011. Could you please confirm the information below.

1. We are using code "2132 Software professionals" so when we create a new COS for extending the employee's leave this September-2013, Should we use the new code "2136 Programmers and software development professionals" ?

2. 3 years ago, it was specified in the COS's that working hours would be 37.5 hours per week. In the new COS September-2013, would it be possible to reduce the hours to 35 per week due to the company policy?

3. Which type of appropriate salary rate for the job code 2136 should we consider : New entrant: £24,000 or Experienced worker: £29,800 when do extension?

4. Can we pro-rate down the salary as such : £29,800 (annual salary) based on 39 hours per week is the equal to (£29,800/39 hours)*35 hours = around £26,744 based on 35 hours per week? so could I use "Experienced worker" with £26,744 and 35 hours per week to qualify to extend the employee visa?

Also we would like to use your responses for case-worker when we apply extension this September 2013.

ANSWER

1. As a result of the update to the SOC Codes some of the existing job codes will no longer be available, some codes will be amended and new codes will be introduced. If you as the sponsor think that the new code 2136 is the most appropriate one from all the codes that are available from 6th April 2013 then you may use this code of practice for assigning a new certificate of sponsorship.

2. Due to the current economic climate, we are aware that some employers are temporarily reducing workers’ hours to avoid making redundancies. A reduction in a workers’ hours is allowed provided the following conditions are met:
a) the migrant has a current grant of leave under Tier 2; and
b) the migrant is continuing to work in the same job, with reduced working hours; and
c) the migrant’s reduced working hours are part of a company-wide policy to avoid redundancies; and
d) you are not treating migrant workers more, or less favourably than settled workers; and
e) the migrant’s pay or working hours do not reduce by more than 30%; and
f) any reduction in wages is proportionate to the reduction in hours; and
g)the arrangements will be in place for no more than one year

If these conditions are met, a change of employment application is not needed and the sponsor will only need to report migrant activity to inform the UKBA of any changes to the hours and salary.

3. Only, in the following situations can an individual be paid the new entrant rate, otherwise the individual must be paid at the experienced worker rate.

• graduates switching from Tier 4 into Tier 2 under our post-study provisions;
• graduate recruits where the employer has used a university “milkround” to satisfy the Resident Labour Market Test;
• those sponsored in the Intra-Company Transfer Graduate Trainee route; and
• anyone aged 25 or under on the date of their initial Tier 2 application (analysis shows that workers normally reach the 25th percentile by age 26).

In all cases, applicants will not be classed as new entrant employees if they are applying to extend their total stay in Tier 2 and/or as a work permit holder beyond 3 years and 1 month (the maximum grant for initial Tier 2 applications)

4. A salary can be pro-rated if the employee will be working less than full-time hours provided the gross salary will still satisfy the minimum salary threshold for Tier.

Please note that the information, provided in this email may be subject to change as the response is based on information that is still subject to parliamentary approval.
Hi,

Can you please give me the email address? I am going to email ukba as well.

Thanks

tuanvo1982

Post by tuanvo1982 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:29 pm

They only accept email from your email address of your sponsor :) so you won't get reply from them if you use your email.

Also they just copy and paste things from another guide. I don't think it is useful

JS28
Member of Standing

Post by JS28 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:24 pm

tuanvo1982 wrote:They only accept email from your email address of your sponsor :) so you won't get reply from them if you use your email.

Also they just copy and paste things from another guide. I don't think it is useful
But I have emailed them before and I did a response. Anyways, I will get the HR to send the email. Do they send it through SMS or is there an email add?

Thanks

tuanvo1982

Post by tuanvo1982 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:39 pm

email address is sponsorshipPBSenquiries@ukba.gsi.gov.uk
sometimes I call 0300 123 4699
:) good luck

mm0909

One quick question

Post by mm0909 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:07 pm

Hi all, it might be a dumb question. Could anyone please tell me the link to the document with new SOC code. This is because the code of practice for my profession does not seem to change much when I check it

Thanks

tuanvo1982

Post by tuanvo1982 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:08 pm

in the 1st page we have a link

sumair
Newly Registered

Re: psw to tier 2

Post by sumair » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:48 am

muhdkhokhar wrote:
divarien wrote:I am a PSW candidate and will be applying for my tier 2 visa after august 2013. Are the new SOC codes applicable in my case ? Any clarifications much appreciated.
New SOC Code will apply on you. IF you have worked over a year then you will be considered as Experience one.
according to this
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... iew=Binary
(ctrl + F 'new entrant')

all PSW people switching to Tier 2 will be considered as New Entrant. Please correct if I am wrong?

godistrue

Post by godistrue » Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:22 pm

sumair wrote:
muhdkhokhar wrote:
divarien wrote:I am a PSW candidate and will be applying for my tier 2 visa after august 2013. Are the new SOC codes applicable in my case ? Any clarifications much appreciated.
New SOC Code will apply on you. IF you have worked over a year then you will be considered as Experience one.
according to this
(ctrl + F 'new entrant')

all PSW people switching to Tier 2 will be considered as New Entrant. Please correct if I am wrong?
Yes, you are correct. I looked at the document and I am on PSW . Candidates who are on PSW will be coming under new entrant and who are aged less than 25 years old. I cant come under new entrant as i am 30 years old. So i will be coming under Experienced entrant.

ramya80
Newly Registered

Post by ramya80 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:33 pm

as per the statement" (d) Where both “new entrant” and “experienced worker” rates are stated in Tables
1 to 5, the “new entrant” rate will only apply if the applicant:
(i) is applying as a Tier 2 (General) Migrant and scores points from the
Post-Study Work provisions of Appendix A,"

As per my understanding I think this is not switching from PSW to T2, this looks like switching from T4(after studies are completed).the word to note "Provision"

mm0909

Post by mm0909 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:38 pm

tuanvo1982 wrote:in the 1st page we have a link
hey. thanks

in case, anybody wants to know. Here is the link they published.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... orkers.pdf

tanvirni

Post by tanvirni » Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:48 pm

Many thanks
mm0909 wrote:
tuanvo1982 wrote:in the 1st page we have a link
hey. thanks

in case, anybody wants to know. Here is the link they published.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... orkers.pdf

sumair
Newly Registered

Post by sumair » Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:45 am

godistrue wrote:
sumair wrote:
muhdkhokhar wrote:
according to this
(ctrl + F 'new entrant')

Yes, you are correct. I looked at the document and I am on PSW . Candidates who are on PSW will be coming under new entrant and who are aged less than 25 years old. I cant come under new entrant as i am 30 years old. So i will be coming under Experienced entrant.
@godistrue I think one has to satisfy one of the requirements, so a 30 year old will be considered as a new entrant as long as he is switching from PSW to Tier 2 general

godistrue

Post by godistrue » Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:28 am

sumair wrote:
godistrue wrote:
sumair wrote:
muhdkhokhar wrote:
according to this
(ctrl + F 'new entrant')

@godistrue I think one has to satisfy one of the requirements, so a 30 year old will be considered as a new entrant as long as he is switching from PSW to Tier 2 general
I read the new entrant criteria, and yes we have to satisfy any one of the criteria. Here are the scenarios

1) Graduates switching from Tier 4 into Tier 2 under the post-study provisions;
2) Graduate recruits where you have used a university “milkround” to satisfy the Resident Labour
Market Test;
3) Graduates sponsored in the Intra-Company Transfer Graduate Trainee route; and
4) Any workers making an initial application who are aged 25 or under on the date they apply

We may come under 1st option, but after looking at 3rd option , it says "AND" any one aged 25 .. The scenario of "AND" means this has to satisfy with any one of the three points.

Thats the reason i feel i come under experienced entrant as i am 30 years old and will not be coming as new entrant

JS28
Member of Standing

IS this correct?

Post by JS28 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:29 pm

Hi All,

I found this in the new UKBA SOC code after 6th April 2013. It states:

All of the rates quoted are based on a 39 hour working week unless otherwise specified. If the job has contracted weekly hours or is paid an hourly rate, the rates must be pro-rated accordingly, but otherwise they do not need to be pro-rated.

Does it mean that if you are working for 37 hours a week you have to find out what your pay would be if it was at 39 hours?

So 23996/52/37= 12.47

12.47 x 52 x 39 = 25, 293?

Am I correct?