ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

providing Spouse's birth certificate instead of passport?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Vivienne15
Newly Registered

providing Spouse's birth certificate instead of passport?

Post by Vivienne15 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:43 am

Hi everyone,

I just got my Indefinite Leave to Remain and I'm married to a British Citizen (who is British by birth). I've been in the UK legally for more than 3 years now, so it looks like I can apply for natrualisation straight away.

But I'm wondering, instead of sending my BC husband's passport, can I send a certified copy of his birth certificate (issued by the Home Office identity & passport service) instead of his passport?

I know that the documents required for the citizenship application are:
1. my passport
2. my indefinite leave to remain
3. our marriage certificate (i have the original)
4. my BC spouse's passport or birth certificate

so my question is, if I don't send his passport and choose to send his birth certificate instead, does the birth certificate have to be the original? because it's almost 30 years ago and his mother has moved around, the original birth certificate is now nowhere to be found. We now have a certified copy ordered from the identity & passport service...

Please kindly advise if this is sufficient.

Thank you!!

lolden
Newly Registered

Post by lolden » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:12 am

This is not an expert opinion, but I would think a government issued replacement certificate (i.e. not just one that was photocopied by anyone) would be acceptable. Please wait for a more senior member to confirm though!

I did want to ask though, is there any reason you don't want to send your husband's passport? If it's just because he'll need to use it while the application is processing, I would suggest using NCS if it's available at your local council. There is a fee (I think it might vary by council - mine was £50 as a guide) but they'll check your application, take UKBA accepted copies of all your documents and return them immediately.

See here for more info on NCS: http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/briti ... e/#header1

Alish60

Re: providing Spouse's birth certificate instead of passport

Post by Alish60 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:31 pm

Vivienne15 wrote:Hi everyone,

I just got my Indefinite Leave to Remain and I'm married to a British Citizen (who is British by birth). I've been in the UK legally for more than 3 years now, so it looks like I can apply for natrualisation straight away.

But I'm wondering, instead of sending my BC husband's passport, can I send a certified copy of his birth certificate (issued by the Home Office identity & passport service) instead of his passport?

I know that the documents required for the citizenship application are:
1. my passport
2. my indefinite leave to remain
3. our marriage certificate (i have the original)
4. my BC spouse's passport or birth certificate

so my question is, if I don't send his passport and choose to send his birth certificate instead, does the birth certificate have to be the original? because it's almost 30 years ago and his mother has moved around, the original birth certificate is now nowhere to be found. We now have a certified copy ordered from the identity & passport service...

Please kindly advise if this is sufficient.

Thank you!!
Certified copy from IPS is perfectly fine.another option for you would be to provide a certified copy of his passport. solicitors do that for a low price(10 to £ 20). you do not have to use NCS.this is my personal experience.
Good luck