ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR in PEO (Croydon) with child over 18

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

iv
Newly Registered

ILR in PEO (Croydon) with child over 18

Post by iv » Fri Mar 16, 2007 11:06 am

Sorry if it had been discussed before, but 'search' did not help.
Could you please advise on the following:

I am about to complete 5 years in the UK on a work permit. My wife and daughter (turned 18 this year) arrived to the UK two weeks after me in 2002 as my dependants.

1) Do I understand correctly that I need to use one SET(O) form for myself and wife, and one SET(F) form for my daughter?

2) Can I come to the PEO alone with both forms and all the documents or my daughter has to come with me?

3) Do I understand correctly that my wife does not need to come to the PEO?

4) If I come to the PEO 28 days before the end of my 5-year period, will the two-week difference in the arrival dates matter for my wife and daughter's ILRs?

Many thanks!

Docterror
United Kingdom

Post by Docterror » Fri Mar 16, 2007 3:57 pm

Using your own numbering to answer-

1)You are to only use one SET(O) form for you and should put down your wife and daughter as your dependants. The SET(F) would have been appropriate to use for your daughter only if you were already "present and settled", which is not the case. She will be able to apply for the ILR with you as long as she is unmarried, has not formed an independant family unit and is not leading an independant life.

2) and 3) - I will let some one else who has actually gone through the process to comment on it. But is it really that difficult to get your wife and daughter to take a trip to a PEO for their ILR?

4) The 2 week difference should not be an issue as long as they have been issued with EC as your dependants. They could even apply for ILR with you had they even arrived as late as ....this year! There is no time frame as to how much time a person has to reside as a dependant to apply for ILR along with the main applicant, in this case being you.

Make sure you take proof along to show that your marriage is subsisting. The success of their ILR will depend on the sucess of your ILR application.

Hope that helps.
Jabi

iv
Newly Registered

Post by iv » Fri Mar 16, 2007 4:21 pm

Docterror, thank you!

It does help, but there are still some questions:
Docterror wrote:1)You are to only use one SET(O) form for you and should put down your wife and daughter as your dependants.
I am afraid what you are saying might not be correct. The guidance notes of SET(O) state: "Children aged 18 or over cannot be included in your application."
is it really that difficult to get your wife and daughter to take a trip to a PEO for their ILR?
If this were avoidable, it would be nice. Wife has to take time off work and we all have to pay train fare.

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Fri Mar 16, 2007 4:35 pm

I agree, your daughter will need to file her own SET(F) form, and you can file a SET(O) form to cover not only yourself but also your wife.

Unfortunately that means that two application fees are payable, one for the SET(F) form and one for the SET(O) one. If applying in March that means that 2 x £500 = £1000 is payable.

Who needs to attend? Obviously you do, but I think there is no doubt your daughter does as well given she is filing a separate form. Your wife? I think she needs to take the day off, if only to cut out any possible problem. Of course none of you need to apply in person ... you could save yourself a bit of money and apply by post ... and then no one need take any time off work!

Your daughter's status? Is she still dependent upon you? She is a student? Or is she now working?
John

Docterror
United Kingdom

Post by Docterror » Fri Mar 16, 2007 4:39 pm

iv, after a look at the SET(O),it does look like you do have to use a SET(F) for your daughter. My apologies for the mixup andI will let someone else clarify about that.... like John ,who just did!
Jabi

iv
Newly Registered

Post by iv » Fri Mar 16, 2007 4:57 pm

Thanks, John!
John wrote:If applying in March that means that 2 x £500 = £1000 is payable.
I wish. It is likely to be £1900 for me.
John wrote:Of course none of you need to apply in person ... you could save yourself a bit of money and apply by post ... and then no one need take any time off work!
It will take four more nerve racking weeks, at least. I see paying extra is like paying for a holiday. It appears the IND is of similar opinion, hence the price difference.
Your daughter's status? Is she still dependent upon you? She is a student? Or is she now working?
A-level student. Yes, totally dependent. No, not working. Applying to a university and is getting offers as an international student. The universities say they will consider her 'international' until she actually gets ILR. This is the main motivation to get it over with as soon as possible.

Docterror
United Kingdom

Post by Docterror » Mon Mar 19, 2007 9:42 am

iv, I hope you are aware that all of you need to have a pass in the Life in the UK test since you will be applying after 2nd of April.
Jabi

iv
Newly Registered

Post by iv » Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:12 am

I called the PEO today to book an appointment and was told that my daughter needs to fill in a SET(O) form, not SET(F).

joe777

Post by joe777 » Thu Jul 12, 2007 1:23 pm

iv wrote:I called the PEO today to book an appointment and was told that my daughter needs to fill in a SET(O) form, not SET(F).
yes i had to use set (o) for my 18 yr dependant stepson, i think its set (o) as set (o) covers Categories not covered by the other set forms, namely ones outside normal immigration control, like a depedant who'sover 18.