ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

JUST GOT MARIED ?.......THIS WAY PLS !

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

OLUMUYIWA
- thin ice -

JUST GOT MARIED ?.......THIS WAY PLS !

Post by OLUMUYIWA » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:17 pm

Hello lovely people in da house ,

I am about to approach the registry to register my intention to get married to my hearthrob who is a British citizen . I am worried to death that UKBA might show up on my wedding day , as it seems they are not only targeting sham weddings these days , they seem to be targeting overstayers / illegals getting married ( whether or not its a sham marriage) . I phones up one of the registries in London , and one of their staff actually told me that all councils work hand-in-hand with UKBA , and that each council has a dedicated UKBA staff who comes in everyday to liase with them . So my fear is that the Registry might notify their dedicated UKBA staff as soon as i present a passport without a valid leave during registration.

I am not sure if i am just beign overly paranoid . I will therefore like to hear true-life experiences of people who have recently registered their marriages at any UK registry .

What did they ask you and your spouse at interview ?

Did they ask about your immigration status?

Did you have to submit some sort of pending application to Home-office just to safe-guard against the UKBA showing up ?

Loads and loads of experiences will really be appreciated from peeps who have been through this stage.

Hoping to hear from you all :)

irfan99
Newly Registered

Post by irfan99 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:45 pm

it does depand how does your interview go with registrar, if the suspect something they will definarly infor ukba but there are many examples they just inform them even they coupel have babies togather but one of them overstay...

the best way to overcome this fear and to stay safe is after meeting with registrar and book the wedding make an FLRO application this way even if ukba showup on your wedding day they won't be abel to arrest you or stop you being getting married...they only thing they will do is to question you and your to be wife and some guest to check if its the shame wedding...

if you are real then it won't be a problem... you can then add a marrige certificate in your FLRO application latter.

Good Luck.

OLUMUYIWA
- thin ice -

Post by OLUMUYIWA » Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:52 pm

irfan99 wrote:it does depand how does your interview go with registrar, if the suspect something they will definarly infor ukba but there are many examples they just inform them even they coupel have babies togather but one of them overstay...

the best way to overcome this fear and to stay safe is after meeting with registrar and book the wedding make an FLRO application this way even if ukba showup on your wedding day they won't be abel to arrest you or stop you being getting married...they only thing they will do is to question you and your to be wife and some guest to check if its the shame wedding...

if you are real then it won't be a problem... you can then add a marrige certificate in your FLRO application latter.

Good Luck.
Thanks for your contribution.

Has anyone had a first-hand experience getting married in a UK registry without leave on this forum at all ?

rose_sharon
Newly Registered

Post by rose_sharon » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:36 am

There is not much to worry about, so long as your relationship is genuine. Try not to be nervous & be completely honest about how long you have been living together, when you met each other & don't use any false documents/utility bills.
They don`t ask that many questions & they don't ask nor check your status on your passport either. I know as I got married with a valid blank passport. They will only make a photocopy of the id page & give it back to you.
Try to keep the date & location of your registry on a NEED TO KNOW BASIS.
I did not even tell my siblings nor my Dad on mine, just the 2 witnesses.
If possible go for a witness who has had a similar plight in the past as they might be slightly more sympathetic to your plight.

Above all: keep calm, trust no one & pray about it.

OLUMUYIWA
- thin ice -

Post by OLUMUYIWA » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:58 am

rose_sharon wrote:There is not much to worry about, so long as your relationship is genuine. Try not to be nervous & be completely honest about how long you have been living together, when you met each other & don't use any false documents/utility bills.
They don`t ask that many questions & they don't ask nor check your status on your passport either. I know as I got married with a valid blank passport. They will only make a photocopy of the id page & give it back to you.
Try to keep the date & location of your registry on a NEED TO KNOW BASIS.
I did not even tell my siblings nor my Dad on mine, just the 2 witnesses.
If possible go for a witness who has had a similar plight in the past as they might be slightly more sympathetic to your plight.

Above all: keep calm, trust no one & pray about it.
Thank you very much , that was very encouraging.
If i may ask , which of the registries did you use ?

rose_sharon
Newly Registered

Post by rose_sharon » Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:05 am

I used the registry in my council area, not far from my house.
I think you have to use a registry within your postcode location.

OLUMUYIWA
- thin ice -

Post by OLUMUYIWA » Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:07 am

[quote="rose_sharon"]I used the registry in my council area, not far from my house.
I think you have to use a registry within your postcode location.[/quote]

Thats true . Thanks for your help.

DieselD

Post by DieselD » Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:06 pm

I booked the wedding through the council and had to register the wedding 16 days before. Arrived with my fiance and the official said we interview each of you separately. I was asked the following:

Date of fiances birthday
Proof of address - I had already put my name on my fiances Council Tax Bill in advance.
My passport and what my residency was. I said I have a fiance visa in my passport.

That was all.

My fiance asked simular questions.

It is important to have a number of friends and family attend the wedding ceremony. Take loads of photos and keep cards etc for submitting later as evidence for FLR applications.
Add your timeline to Skydrive for FLR(M)

OLUMUYIWA
- thin ice -

Post by OLUMUYIWA » Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:53 pm

[quote="DieselD"]I booked the wedding through the council and had to register the wedding 16 days before. Arrived with my fiance and the official said we interview each of you separately. I was asked the following:

Date of fiances birthday
Proof of address - I had already put my name on my fiances Council Tax Bill in advance.
My passport and what my residency was. I said I have a fiance visa in my passport.

That was all.

It is important to have a number of friends and family attend the wedding ceremony. Take loads of photos and keep cards etc for submitting later as evidence for FLR applications.[/quote]

I think yours was rather an easy scale through in that you had a valid fiancee visa , so no qualms.
So they did actually asked what your immigration status was . I thought i read somewhere that its not of concern to the registry to ask that ?

Aleena_wasiq1
Pakistan

Post by Aleena_wasiq1 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:13 pm

there is nothing to worry about if your marriage is genuine.I was also very scared but then every thing went so well. the day i was registering my marriage was my birthday i turned 20 the same day and i was worried about it because i thought they may ask me to book another appointment as my age was 19 when i booked the appointment but thank God the worker said i am going to write your today's age on the marriage certificate, it doesn't matter what age you were registered for .

best of luck to you and don't worry.

DieselD

Post by DieselD » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:11 pm

OLUMUYIWA wrote:
DieselD wrote:I booked the wedding through the council and had to register the wedding 16 days before. Arrived with my fiance and the official said we interview each of you separately. I was asked the following:

Date of fiances birthday

That was all.

It is important to have a number of friends and family attend the wedding ceremony. Take loads of photos and keep cards etc for submitting later as evidence for FLR applications.
I think yours was rather an easy scale through in that you had a valid fiancee visa , so no qualms.
So they did actually asked what your immigration status was . I thought i read somewhere that its not of concern to the registry to ask that ?
I was surprised by the separate interviews. Didn't think that would happen, but since we know each other well it wouldn't matter. Is it not easier to marry in a church.
Add your timeline to Skydrive for FLR(M)

sarara
Newly Registered

Post by sarara » Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:26 am

When my husband and I gave notice at the registry office they took us in a room separately and asked several questions - how long we had known each other, date of engagement, what we each do for work etc. They also asked about my status in the UK, and made a copy of my BRP.

I think it is their job to get a good idea of sham marriages and to inform UKBA if they have any suspicions. You should take along any evidence you have of your relationship, such as shared council tax bills etc.

I will say, make sure you don't like to them, or embellish things.

OLUMUYIWA
- thin ice -

Post by OLUMUYIWA » Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:04 pm

[quote="DieselD"]I booked the wedding through the council and had to register the wedding 16 days before. Arrived with my fiance and the official said we interview each of you separately. I was asked the following:

Date of fiances birthday

That was all.

It is important to have a number of friends and family attend the wedding ceremony. Take loads of photos and keep cards etc for submitting later as evidence for FLR applications.[/quote]

So you had a fiance visa when u went to Registry , then i wouldnt have thought you would have a problem .

What was your spouse's status at the time ?

Chaimai
Newly Registered

procedure

Post by Chaimai » Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:35 am

if you are marrying no need to scare ukba bur your partner lol .

ok lets get serious if you are genuine you should not get scared as me and my bf were genuine.
i am polish and my husband is indian.we got married last week.
they will notice you from the first call you made.dont panic in taking the date or prolong it .as being genuine you must have set a date for your wedding day .
they will not be able to give you appointment to give notice before 2 to 4 weeks time .after you gave the notice you have to book an appointment for marriage if you want to marry in registrar .
Tip= if you are genuine you should book the wedding day and the giving notice day at the same day and pay them over the phone.
since i am polish and i made the payment from my account as it wont feel that my indian bf is paying as he is desperate.
try your british partner to book the appointment for you.
now once you get there this is what happened to us 3 weeks ago when we went to give notice.
the registrar is suspicios ,its his job,but if you are genuine noneed to get scared,just look in to his eyes with a smile and answer his question.
he will first take your details and ask your partner details.
details will include your name your address and your partner and dates to marry and terms and condition.
now he will ask you or your partner to leave the room and question you individually.
he will ask you your name your occupation and your date of birth and also your partner date of birth occupation and her addresss,and if she got any other nationality,these were the important bits i remmeber.
he will ask you about your partner surname.and his?her full name.
after you finish you have to sign a paper and he will ask ou to leave and ask your partner to come and he will repeat all the questions .
lol i hope you dont fight that day with your partner as if you both in bad mood and not sitting close to each other and holding hands lol ofcource your body language will look like you are not genuine,
one last thing my friend if you are genuine dont get scared who gives a talk to like we didnt.its your right to marry your loved one and goodluck

Akin
Newly Registered

Post by Akin » Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:52 am

l dont think there is any thing to worry about...........am in the same boat as you bro.
in our case, we have approached the registry and we have a set date for our interview.
i believe if you dont make an attempt in life you might stand still, as chaimai said let your British partner do the booking.

cheers.

Btw my wife is polish.

OLUMUYIWA
- thin ice -

Re: procedure

Post by OLUMUYIWA » Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:27 pm

[quote="Chaimai"]if you are marrying no need to scare ukba bur your partner lol .

ok lets get serious if you are genuine you should not get scared as me and my bf were genuine.
i am polish and my husband is indian.we got married last week.
they will notice you from the first call you made.dont panic in taking the date or prolong it .as being genuine you must have set a date for your wedding day .
they will not be able to give you appointment to give notice before 2 to 4 weeks time .after you gave the notice you have to book an appointment for marriage if you want to marry in registrar .
Tip= if you are genuine you should book the wedding day and the giving notice day at the same day and pay them over the phone.
since i am polish and i made the payment from my account as it wont feel that my indian bf is paying as he is desperate.
try your british partner to book the appointment for you.
now once you get there this is what happened to us 3 weeks ago when we went to give notice.
the registrar is suspicios ,its his job,but if you are genuine noneed to get scared,just look in to his eyes with a smile and answer his question.
he will first take your details and ask your partner details.
details will include your name your address and your partner and dates to marry and terms and condition.
now he will ask you or your partner to leave the room and question you individually.
he will ask you your name your occupation and your date of birth and also your partner date of birth occupation and her addresss,and if she got any other nationality,these were the important bits i remmeber.
he will ask you about your partner surname.and his?her full name.
after you finish you have to sign a paper and he will ask ou to leave and ask your partner to come and he will repeat all the questions .
lol i hope you dont fight that day with your partner as if you both in bad mood and not sitting close to each other and holding hands lol ofcource your body language will look like you are not genuine,
one last thing my friend if you are genuine dont get scared who gives a talk to like we didnt.its your right to marry your loved one and goodluck[/quote]

Ah thats really encouraging . What was your husband's immigration status when you got married ?? And did they ask him about his immigration status when you went to register ?

OLUMUYIWA
- thin ice -

Post by OLUMUYIWA » Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:31 pm

[quote="Akin"]l dont think there is any thing to worry about...........am in the same boat as you bro.
in our case, we have approached the registry and we have a set date for our interview.
i believe if you dont make an attempt in life you might stand still, as chaimai said let your British partner do the booking.

cheers.

Btw my wife is polish.[/quote]

Akin, thanks a lot for the word of encouragement . When is your date of giving notice ?