ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Family visit for sister and niece

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

eureka_ilr

Family visit for sister and niece

Post by eureka_ilr » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:25 am

Hello

I am an Indian citizen settled with an ILR in UK. I was planning on inviting my sister and niece from India to visit us during summer for 6-8 weeks. Which visa category will best suit them, tourist or visitor or any other?

Is getting visas for family members difficult? Should I take help of a solicitor?

regards
Eureka

cs95tdg
Diamond Member

Post by cs95tdg » Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:02 pm

There are two categories of Visitor visas - General & Family. Do read through the information to understand what type they should apply for.
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/visas ... /visiting/
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... sitors.pdf
Getting a family visitor visa is no more difficult than getting a general visitor visa. Additionally depending on how old your niece is, you may also want to read the information published for Accompanied child visitors: http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/visas ... uirements/

The two key requirements are:
1) That they can maintain and accomodate themselves during their visit, without recourse to public funds. This can be done either by using their finances & or your finances if you intend to sponsor their visit.
2) That they intend to return to their country of residence at the end of their visit. This can be done by showing strong ties to their home country. Some examples of how this can be done are: Employment, Education, Family ties, Property and any other commitments they have to where they live - I.e. anything which will show their intent to return...

vinny

Post by vinny » Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:13 pm

See also Visitor Guidance. As they are visiting a settled relative, they may apply for family visitor visas. The main difference between a family visitor and a general visitor is that the former has full rights of appeal.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

cs95tdg
Diamond Member

Post by cs95tdg » Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:39 pm

vinny wrote:As they are visiting a settled relative, they may apply for family visitor visas.
Will the niece also be able to apply for a family visitor visa? Just asking the question, as I didn't see uncle mentioned under the permitted relatives list.

eureka_ilr

Post by eureka_ilr » Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:41 pm

Thanks for your kind replies.

Would my niece be counted as a family visitor when accompanied by my sister?

regards
Eureka

vinny

Post by vinny » Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:21 pm

You are right. Uncle is not included for a family visitor.

If niece is a child under 18, then she may be a child visitor. Else, she may be a General visitor.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

eureka_ilr

Post by eureka_ilr » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:07 pm

Thanks all for very helpful replies !

eureka_ilr

Post by eureka_ilr » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:21 pm

One very quick question regarding inviting my sister and niece. Another nephew may also join them. I was wondering will a 2 bedroom house be sufficient to house them? If no, what if I get visas for them separately?
We are just husband and wife- no kids. So in all there will be 5 people, all adults (though niece and nephew are young adults of 21 and 19 years)

ban.s

Post by ban.s » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:46 pm

should be fine.
also see overcrowding - residential housing
also overcrowding is waived for for short term guests / visitors

eureka_ilr

Post by eureka_ilr » Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:23 pm

Thanks for your guidance. I'm afraid I've more questions -

Speaking to a friend, I learnt that getting general visitor visa for young adults is not easy. My friend, who is a British citizen, applied for a visa for her sister along with his parents in Pakistan and was refused the visa. Does this change country to country i.e. will this be different for applications from India? If it's going to get complicated, should I hire services of a solicitor? My niece and nephew are college students. They have absolutely no intentions of staying in UK but how will I prove this?

regards
Eureka

ban.s

Post by ban.s » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:56 pm

decision on an application is made based on its merit and the strength of supporting documentation.
your niece and nephew, can submit letters from their universities / colleges confirming their stutus. if they are travelling during term time they also need to provide confirmation from college tutor or prinicial confirming their absence from the course. else confirmation of college leave etc. perhaps supporting letters from their parent.

if you wish you may take professional advice.

eureka_ilr

Post by eureka_ilr » Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:00 pm

Thanks for your reply. Could the senior members or moderators point me to any posts or sticky which have a list of documents/ formats/templates. For example for the letter from principal of their college etc etc.