ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Do I need to surrender my passport if it is expiring soon

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

darkhorse10

Do I need to surrender my passport if it is expiring soon

Post by darkhorse10 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:08 pm

Hi,

I will be applying for my ILR soon. Looking at the dates I can apply for Naturalization on or after 27th June, 2014 if all goes exactly by dates or else in the next two months, which wont go beyond August.

My passport validity is until February 2015. When I apply for Naturalisation I should have my passport valid for atleast next 6 months, which I can fulfill. But when I receive the naturalisation, I would be almost end of the validity. At this point should I be surrendering the passport??

I know it is too early, but looking at the fees I need to plan and save from now on..

Thanks,
Nik

ban.s

Post by ban.s » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:38 pm

first of all, there is no requirement to have a valid (or 6 month valid passport) for naturalisation application.

whether you want to surrender your passport and renounce your current citizenship is your choice and driven by the nationality law of your country. from an UK nationality law perspective, it absolutely doesn't matter whether you hold retain your passport or surrender it.

darkhorse10

Post by darkhorse10 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:09 pm

ban.s wrote:first of all, there is no requirement to have a valid (or 6 month valid passport) for naturalisation application.
Thanks for that. I was in that mind that I would need atleast 6 month valid passport to apply for naturalisation.
ban.s wrote:whether you want to surrender your passport and renounce your current citizenship is your choice and driven by the nationality law of your country. from an UK nationality law perspective, it absolutely doesn't matter whether you hold retain your passport or surrender it.
Its still unclear for me whether I need to surrender my passport or not. To give more detail I have Indian passport. I have read on VFS that if we dont surrender indian passport with 3 months of acquiring another country's nationality then a fine can be imposed, but no one mentioned about what would happen if passport expires within that 3 months or even before.

ban.s

Post by ban.s » Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:20 am

Ok, now as you have mentioned your current nationality - so, as per Indian Nationlity Law, you need to formally renounce your citizenship as soon as you acquire citizenship of another country. To help travel requirements, there is a 3 months period grace period, during which you can retain an Indian passport and use that for travel. Infact as per Indian law, there will be no fine imposed for surrendering of indian passport/citizenship up to 3 years, as long as it was not excercised during that period.

Passport is a mere travel document - you have to renounce your citizenship and as as part of that application submit your expired passport.

darkhorse10

Post by darkhorse10 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:52 am

ban.s wrote:Ok, now as you have mentioned your current nationality - so, as per Indian Nationlity Law, you need to formally renounce your citizenship as soon as you acquire citizenship of another country. To help travel requirements, there is a 3 months period grace period, during which you can retain an Indian passport and use that for travel. Infact as per Indian law, there will be no fine imposed for surrendering of indian passport/citizenship up to 3 years, as long as it was not excercised during that period.

Passport is a mere travel document - you have to renounce your citizenship and as as part of that application submit your expired passport.
Thanks Ban.s