ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Translated Irish Citizenship Certificate in English

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Southern_Sky

Translated Irish Citizenship Certificate in English

Post by Southern_Sky » Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:48 pm

Hi,

Does anyone know the procedure to request an officially stamped Irish Certificate of Naturalization / Citizenship Certificate in English (instead of the default Irish language version) ?

regards,

cleangreen

Post by cleangreen » Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:26 pm

translation of the certificate of naturalisation is available on request. This is a general translation of the contents of a certificate of naturalisation and has no legal standing

http://debates.oireachtas.ie/dail/2011/06/09/00136.asp

Malika

Post by Malika » Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:56 pm

As the above post mentions, the translation in English has no legal standing.....................why the need for a translation when once you have passport, it (the cert) isn't that used again.

Irish is the official language.
'If you compare yourself to others,you may become vain and bitter; for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself'............DESIDERATA

Southern_Sky

Post by Southern_Sky » Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:40 pm

Thanks...

Wonder what is the actual request procedure. Any email address or tel. number to contact?

My Embassy requires details of any other citizenship I hold. And ofcourse it must be in a language recognised by them. In this case English.

Surprising that since Irish & English are the official languages of Ireland, that ALL government documents are not issued with both. This is perhaps the only such case of an Irish only gov't document by default.

Malika

Post by Malika » Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:59 pm

Southern_Sky wrote:Thanks...

Wonder what is the actual request procedure. Any email address or tel. number to contact?

My Embassy requires details of any other citizenship I hold. And ofcourse it must be in a language recognised by them. In this case English.

Surprising that since Irish & English are the official languages of Ireland, that ALL government documents are not issued with both. This is perhaps the only such case of an Irish only gov't document by default.

You might have to contact the citizenship section and ask about that. Do you still have your Naturalisation/reference number?
Since the English translation isn't recognised legally, why not use a reputable agency to translate and have it notarised by a solicitor? This might be quicker and to your advantage in terms of the legality.

The Irish Language takes precedence if it's either English or Irish.

Regards,
'If you compare yourself to others,you may become vain and bitter; for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself'............DESIDERATA

Southern_Sky

Post by Southern_Sky » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:50 pm

Thanks Malika,

I called INIS and was told that its up to the individual to get it translated themselves. INIS does not stamp or certify the English translation.

Alternatively, the translation is provided as Form 11 on this link:
http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2011/en/si/0284.html

''You are an Irish citizen from the date of issue of the certificate and you can apply to the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade for an Irish passport any time after that date. The certificate of naturalisation is written in Irish. The English version is Form 11 in the schedule of the Irish Nationality and Citizenship (Amendment) Regulations 2011.''
http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/mo ... ation.html

As you suggested I will seek to have the English translation notarised.

Malika

Post by Malika » Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:20 pm

Thanks for the link!

Regards

Nokia777

Re: Translated Irish Citizenship Certificate in English

Post by Nokia777 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:57 pm

Southern_Sky wrote:Hi,

Does anyone know the procedure to request an officially stamped Irish Certificate of Naturalization / Citizenship Certificate in English (instead of the default Irish language version) ?

regards,
i dont understand what is the need to do that ?

Malika

Re: Translated Irish Citizenship Certificate in English

Post by Malika » Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:43 am

i dont understand what is the need to do that ?
[My Embassy requires details of any other citizenship I hold. And ofcourse it must be in a language recognised by them. In this case English.

The OP has clearly stated the reason why...............did you read the whole thread?

Regards,

Southern_Sky

Post by Southern_Sky » Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:56 pm

Just to update everyone.

I successfully used the English translation from the Form 11 link above, and added my personal details from my original Irish Naturalisation Certificate, and then had this notarised by a solicitor. Had to show the solicitor all the relevant web links, and original docs etc..

However, overall it was successfully and my Embassy accepted this notarised translation along with the original.