ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EEA Family Permit for UK - Entry through Ireland??

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

natasha1985
Newly Registered

EEA Family Permit for UK - Entry through Ireland??

Post by natasha1985 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:27 pm

Hi
My husband is Turkish and was just granted his EEA family permit visa last week. I live in Northern Ireland and am an Irish passport holder. I'm just wondering about which airport he can fly into. There are no direct flights to Belfast until summer time so he will have to fly to meet me here either via London or Dublin. Can he fly into Dublin airport and clear passport control there if I'm waiting outside the airport to drive him home to Belfast? Or will he have to fly into London and onto Belfast? Im so confused as i don't know whether Dublin will be fine as i have an Irish passport so therefore an Irish citizen but as the visa is for the UK will they refuse him entry on the basis that he has to actually fly into the UK i.e. London?
Thanks for any help and hope it makes sense!!

EUsmileWEallsmile

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:45 pm

natasha1985
Newly Registered

Post by natasha1985 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:04 am

Thank you for your quick reply! I think it seems that he will have to come through London then onto Belfast which is a shame as its a lot more expensive plus an additional flight but as long as he gets here i dont mind! :)

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru
Location: does not matter if you are with your EEA family member

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:18 pm

Why do you think he will have to fly to London?

Would you meet him in Dublin?

Absolute worst case is he should be easily issued with a visa to enter Ireland, easily and quickly. But he may not even need that if he has an EEA FP.

natasha1985
Newly Registered

Post by natasha1985 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:54 pm

Well because on the link that was posted, theres the following on a page related to it:

"11. What if I want to visit Northern Ireland?
Subject to the rules and procedures laid out else where in this Information Note regarding possession of a valid UK visa and current leave to remain there, in relation to persons travelling between Ireland and Northern Ireland, the following scenarios will apply:
If arriving in Ireland and then travelling to Northern Ireland, both an Irish and UK visa will be required, as is the case at present
If arriving in Northern Ireland and travelling to Ireland, the visa waiver programme will apply and only a UK visa will be required"

Yeah, my plan was for him to fly in to Dublin and I would be standing outside waiting for him. I just find it very confusing to know whether it would be a major problem him flying to Dublin, if they could possibly tell him he is not allowed to enter through Dublin as his EEA FP is for people living in the UK? But maybe I'm being overly paranoid!

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:13 pm

If you were physically present in Ireland when he arrives, then your main problem is the airlines and convincing them to let him fly. Once he arrives on Irish soil, then he only needs to deal with the Irish immigration police, which should be very straight forward.

How would he fly to Dublin? Is there an Irish embassy nearby to get a free visa from?

EUsmileWEallsmile

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:42 pm

The only complication might be that the op is Irish.

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:44 am

natasha1985, are you working in NI?

And where is your husband located in Turkey?

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:12 am

natasha1985 wrote: I wonder if anybody could advise me? My husband posted his EEA2 application off to UKBA on 3rd September 2013 & they received it on 4th September, he then received his COA on 13th September, dated 10th September. He is a Turkish national, and I am an Irish citizen living in Belfast. His EEA Family Permit expired on 13th September 2013. We have considered travelling back to Turkey in November time (no flights booked yet) as i have just had a baby boy & would like his family to see him soon, and we had wanted to request to get both our passports back for this. My question is (sorry its so long-winded!) can we request our passports back without cancelling our application? Someone told me that due to him being Turkish, requesting documents back would automatically cancel the application?? As obviously i wouldn't be wanting to withdraw our application. Also as his EEA FP has expired and we are awaiting an outcome on his EEA2 application, can he travel back & forth from Belfast to Turkey with no problem at immigration? And lastly, if we do get the passports returned, do we need to then send them back to UKBA after we return home again? I enclosed a special delivery envelope in my application so would they just use this? So sorry for such a long message, but just wondering if anyone could help me! Thanks in advance!!
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

el patron
Member of Standing

Post by el patron » Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:54 pm

I'd be careful, GNIB have a knack of interpreting EU law 'imaginatively' -

http://courts.ie/Judgments.nsf/09859e7a ... enDocument

natasha1985
Newly Registered

Post by natasha1985 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:07 pm

Thank you, i thought it wouldnt be simple!! Think we may be safer just awaiting the outcome of his EEA2 visa & go from there! :)