ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EU partner doesnt like working

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:48 pm

I know he was unemployed, but was he sacked, or made redundant, or left volunrarily .

If he was made redundant, it is possible in certain circunstances, that you could get permanent Residence.

Also I believe you children are in school, and he was previously a migrant worker. Therefore you derive right from Regulation 1612/68, and you could then apply under the long residence provision.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

Manimba
Newly Registered

Post by Manimba » Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:55 pm

Obie wrote:I know he was unemployed, but was he sacked, or made redundant, or left volunrarily .

If he was made redundant, it is possible in certain circunstances, that you could get permanent Residence.

Also I believe you children are in school, and he was previously a migrant worker. Therefore you derive right from Regulation 1612/68, and you could then apply under the long residence provision.
Thx Obie, he was made redundant, oh i didn't know EU and their partners could apply under the long residence route, wow please could you kindly give me a link? really appreciate u taking time to respond.

sofia.d.c

Post by sofia.d.c » Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:53 am

Frankly it would be absurd for your family to receive PR on the basis of self-sufficiency if your husband is dependent on the state out of sheer laziness. Stories like this make me extremely upset. One third of our pay cheques go to taxes. It's ridiculous. Tell him he should be ashamed of himself.

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru
Location: does not matter if you are with your EEA family member

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:32 am

sofia.d.c wrote:Frankly it would be absurd for your family to receive PR on the basis of self-sufficiency if your husband is dependent on the state out of sheer laziness. Stories like this make me extremely upset. One third of our pay cheques go to taxes. It's ridiculous. Tell him he should be ashamed of himself.
It is very unclear that the EU citizen is "dependent on the state". Remember that the non-EU spouse is working!
Last edited by Directive/2004/38/EC on Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Manimba
Newly Registered

Post by Manimba » Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:40 pm

sofia.d.c wrote:Frankly it would be absurd for your family to receive PR on the basis of self-sufficiency if your husband is dependent on the state out of sheer laziness. Stories like this make me extremely upset. One third of our pay cheques go to taxes. It's ridiculous. Tell him he should be ashamed of himself.

:roll:

sofia.d.c

Post by sofia.d.c » Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:46 pm

Yes, imagine someone getting upset at this story. I suppose people at the receiving end of social benefits have a different attitude than those who unwillingly enable people to choose not to work.

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:32 pm

sofia.d.c wrote:Yes, imagine someone getting upset at this story. I suppose people at the receiving end of social benefits have a different attitude than those who unwillingly enable people to choose not to work.
The way people choose to conduct their lives, are of no concern to you, me or anyone else on this forum.

Provided of course they are not using the forum to conduct illicit activities or crimnal act, by claiming benefit to which they are not entitled.

This does not seem to be the case here. Furthermore her husband is not here to defend himself, not that i think he needs to anyway.

@OP. If your husband was redundant, did he at any point seek work.

sofia.d.c

Post by sofia.d.c » Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:05 pm

@Obie - you're right of course, it's just hard not to get a little worked up at a thread entitled "EU partner doesn't like working." It's especially difficult to swallow since I feel that this is a poor use of public funds to which my household contributes.

Manimba
Newly Registered

Post by Manimba » Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:59 pm

Obie wrote:
sofia.d.c wrote:Yes, imagine someone getting upset at this story. I suppose people at the receiving end of social benefits have a different attitude than those who unwillingly enable people to choose not to work.
The way people choose to conduct their lives, are of no concern to you, me or anyone else on this forum.

Provided of course they are not using the forum to conduct illicit activities or crimnal act, by claiming benefit to which they are not entitled.

This does not seem to be the case here. Furthermore her husband is not here to defend himself, not that i think he needs to anyway.

@OP. If your husband was redundant, did he at any point seek work

Thanks Obie, yea he did seek work, did some courses, he did do some work but temporary lasting 0-3 mths, and like i said i was working all thru that time. Tx again really appreciate

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:49 pm

In those circumstances you mentioned above, it seems the refusal of your Permanent Right of Residence might have been wrong in law, as your husband would probably have retained his worker rights status during those period, furthermore he was in a course, and undertook some part time work.

You may have the right of PR, now, maybe.