ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

JUST GOT MARRIED?.....THIS WAY PLS !

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

OLUMUYIWA
- thin ice -

Post by OLUMUYIWA » Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:33 pm

[quote="SnowWhite"][quote="OLUMUYIWA"][quote="SnowWhite"][quote="OLUMUYIWA"][quote="SnowWhite"][quote="OLUMUYIWA"][quote="sara1991"]What's strange?[/quote]

Just the fact they asked you for your immigration status, otherwise they wouldn't have been able to marry you.
I would think the registrar was un-informed . Did you know that there are other acceptable documents apart from passport? For example, if u have a national id card or non-eu driving licence showing ur name, age and nationality ,they will accept it. So really, the registrar shouldn't be concerned about immigration status.
Having said that, I think each registrar has a way of dealing with this situations since its at their discretion. Even UKBA admits that not all suspicious weddings reported to them ends up beign a sham, which means that registrar A might think its a sham ,while registrar B might think its not.
Also, while phoning round all London registries to find out more about their required documents, I realise that each council has their list of required docs. For example, a particular registry told me they don't accept utility bills as proof of address, but I none of them has ever told me they need proof of my immigration status before they can marry me.[/quote]

Hi there, today I booked an appointment to give notice in Camden register office and they said as my man is a subject to immigration control, he has to bring also document of his immigration status (he does not have it... obviously), which I find wrong because under the human rights act, everyone has rights to marry, regardles the status. This was a shock for me, really.
Anyone has the same experience?
Thanks[/quote]

Hi , i think you got it wrong . They are probably asking your man to bring some proof of his ID , nationality and age such as passport , birth certificate, some immigration documents are also acceptable , but not all.

Dis your man go there with his passport?[/quote]

Yes dear, they want valid passport, proof of address, his decree absolute, because he is divorced and apparently document about his status. I am very much scared now, but maybe they are just trying to scare people off. I am an EU citizen so I know my rights, that's why it shocked me.[/quote]

UPDATE !

I have just literally phoned up Camden council , and the guy on the phone categorically told me that they are not interested in anyone's visa status , and that all that they need from you is evidence that you are living in the UK as well as evidence of who you are , which would normally be a passport .

So , you might want to go back there again and check .
Happy Married Life in advance.[/quote]

Hope they mean it too, thanks for info. My personal opinion after all research I have done is that if they really ask for it, it is wrong and they are violating the human rights if the relationship is genuine. I was just surprised what that man told me because the one I booked the notice appointment was bit rude so I did not ask any questions. I asked the man who I booked the ceremony with and that was the information he gave me. Their website seemed to me very friendly and kind, thats why I choose this registry office. My local registry is threatening already on the website lol so I did not want to approach them.
Well I will go there for our appointment without that document anyway but in case will contact the solicitor before. I am not interested in UKBA visit on my wedding day :)
Thank you, I can not wait for this mess to finish, it supposed to be the happiest day in the couples life...
Wish you good luck with your case too[/quote]

Can you come back on this forum to let us know how it all goes . Please bookmark this thread so you wont forget.

Thanks.

SnowWhite
Newly Registered

Post by SnowWhite » Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:38 pm

OLUMUYIWA wrote:
SnowWhite wrote:
OLUMUYIWA wrote:
SnowWhite wrote:
Yes dear, they want valid passport, proof of address, his decree absolute, because he is divorced and apparently document about his status. I am very much scared now, but maybe they are just trying to scare people off. I am an EU citizen so I know my rights, that's why it shocked me.
UPDATE !

I have just literally phoned up Camden council , and the guy on the phone categorically told me that they are not interested in anyone's visa status , and that all that they need from you is evidence that you are living in the UK as well as evidence of who you are , which would normally be a passport .

So , you might want to go back there again and check .
Happy Married Life in advance.
Hope they mean it too, thanks for info. My personal opinion after all research I have done is that if they really ask for it, it is wrong and they are violating the human rights if the relationship is genuine. I was just surprised what that man told me because the one I booked the notice appointment was bit rude so I did not ask any questions. I asked the man who I booked the ceremony with and that was the information he gave me. Their website seemed to me very friendly and kind, thats why I choose this registry office. My local registry is threatening already on the website lol so I did not want to approach them.
Well I will go there for our appointment without that document anyway but in case will contact the solicitor before. I am not interested in UKBA visit on my wedding day :)
Thank you, I can not wait for this mess to finish, it supposed to be the happiest day in the couples life...
Wish you good luck with your case too
Can you come back on this forum to let us know how it all goes . Please bookmark this thread so you wont forget.

Thanks.
I will keep you posted 8)

OLUMUYIWA
- thin ice -

Post by OLUMUYIWA » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:44 am

Anyone else got married without a valid visa ? Pls share your experience ..