ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

No council tax receipt !

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

gguptar4u
Newly Registered

No council tax receipt !

Post by gguptar4u » Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:57 pm

Hi Gurus,

I am applying for ILR for me and my wife.

I understand that to prove cohabitation, I need to provide certain documents, one of which is primarily Council Tax Receipt.

Now here is the problem. I have lived at 2 properties in these past 2 years. I have the Council tax receipt for me and my wife, for the recent property (living here for past 7 months) BUT for the first property i dont have any council tax receipt as it was a shared house. Me and my wife were just staying in one room and all the bills were inculded in the rent.

Although I have following other documents

- joint bank statement
- my and wife's NHS card
- wife's and my different credit card statements
- electricity bills for me and my wife for the new property

Please let me know if not paying the council tax for my first property will have any adverse effect on my ILR application ? and if the above documents are sufficient as the cohibitation documents ?

Kevin24
Diamond Member

Re: No council tax receipt !

Post by Kevin24 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:04 pm

gguptar4u wrote:Hi Gurus,

I understand that to prove cohabitation, I need to provide certain documents, one of which is primarily Council Tax Receipt.

Now here is the problem. I have lived at 2 properties in these past 2 years. I have the Council tax receipt for me and my wife, for the recent property (living here for past 7 months) BUT for the first property i dont have any council tax receipt as it was a shared house. Me and my wife were just staying in one room and all the bills were inculded in the rent.

- joint bank statement
- my and wife's NHS card

Please let me know if not paying the council tax for my first property will have any adverse effect on my ILR application ? and if the above documents are sufficient as the cohibitation documents ?
Why don't you get a letter from your previous house owner regarding no-payment of Council Tax by you. and your wife,clearly explaining the situation.

sheraz7
Respected Guru

Post by sheraz7 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:13 pm

Tenancy agreement confirming it should be fine.
Please donot send PM. Write in open forum to facilitate others too.
REGARDS

gguptar4u
Newly Registered

Post by gguptar4u » Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:23 pm

I have the tenancy agreement, but it does not say anything about the bills. It is a standard agreement which says that i should pay the council tax + other bills (My stupidity i did not read it before)

Also I am not sure if the previous landlord will give that letter, as I now suspect that he has only named himself on the council tax (as he is divorsed and lives in the same property)

Kevin24
Diamond Member

Post by Kevin24 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:08 pm

gguptar4u wrote:I have the tenancy agreement, but it does not say anything about the bills. It is a standard agreement which says that i should pay the council tax + other bills (My stupidity i did not read it before)

Also I am not sure if the previous landlord will give that letter, as I now suspect that he has only named himself on the council tax (as he is divorsed and lives in the same property)
Then you can't show the Tenancy Agreement as a proof. How about GP's letter, Telephone, and Water bills for the new property.

gguptar4u
Newly Registered

Post by gguptar4u » Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:18 pm

For the new property I have

- Joint bank statements
- Joint Council tax satement
- Joint Electricity Bill
- My wife credit card statement
- My individual bank statement
- TV license, Driving License, Internet Bill on my name .

Is it enough ?

sheraz7
Respected Guru

Post by sheraz7 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:42 pm

Your current documents seems good. However, for old property you may use electoral vote registration, income tax documents like p60/p45 etc. It might help too.
Please donot send PM. Write in open forum to facilitate others too.
REGARDS

gguptar4u
Newly Registered

Post by gguptar4u » Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:19 am

What if they press me for the council tax receipt for my old property ?

Looking at some questions on this board, looks like they would. ?

starter
Newly Registered

Post by starter » Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:35 pm

- joint bank statement
- my and wife's NHS card

I showed the following for the Cohab.
Council Tax bill two year
Tenancy Agreement
A very Old bank statement (Joint Account)

gguptar4u
Newly Registered

Post by gguptar4u » Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:21 am

starter wrote:

- joint bank statement
- my and wife's NHS card

I showed the following for the Cohab.
Council Tax bill two year
Tenancy Agreement
A very Old bank statement (Joint Account)
I know that concil tax receipt is a strong document.
BUT, this whole thread is about not having a council tax document as we were living in a shared house.

Gurus, any advice what to say/do if UKBA presses for the council tax document ?

cs95tdg
Diamond Member

Post by cs95tdg » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:39 am

gguptar4u wrote:I know that concil tax receipt is a strong document.
BUT, this whole thread is about not having a council tax document as we were living in a shared house.

Gurus, any advice what to say/do if UKBA presses for the council tax document ?
Explain what you have just done here, to say that you lived in shared accomodation where all bills were included in your rent. Take your tenancy agreement, which states this if you are still worried.

There is no requirement to specifically provide council tax bills, you should take other evidence to satisfy the cohabitation requirement, as from what you say your council tax statements will not cover the required period.

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:48 am

I know that concil tax receipt is a strong document.
Do you? Why? Who has told you that a receipt for Council Tax is a "strong document"?

There are lots of possibilities. Do not get hung up on the matter of Council Tax.
John