ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Mention of EU children in Naturalisation application?

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

virtual-writer

Mention of EU children in Naturalisation application?

Post by virtual-writer » Thu Mar 22, 2007 5:58 pm

My husband has been thinking of us (me and five kids) getting naturalised together with him, and whether that would speed up or help in his application.

I'm not very keen on the idea. We are European nationals and subsequently don't experience the problems he does with restriction of movement/travelling, etc.

But would the mention of us help? Should we send in proofs of our "status"? Maybe cite our wish to explore/travel through Europe (without restrictions) together as a family?

I appreciate your advice.

Thanks
Last edited by virtual-writer on Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Thu Mar 22, 2007 6:54 pm

My husband has been thinking of us (me and five kids) getting naturalised together with him, and whether that would speed up or help in his application.
I can't see how it would make any difference at all to his Naturalisation application. And of course you (and any children aged 18 or more) cannot apply for Naturalisation unless the Citizenship Test has been passed .... the same as for your husband.

How long have you and your family lived in the UK?
John

virtual-writer

Post by virtual-writer » Thu Mar 22, 2007 8:48 pm

We've been here since July and August 2001. Two of the kids are born here, so they would only register. All of the kids are minors.

There's not enough time for me to apply with him before 1st April, when I think of it. I haven't studied the Life in the UK book much (except when I helped my husband to prepare for his test last year), and there's probably no way to get a test appointment before April. Don't think I would have bothered much anyway, can't see the point of it at the moment, and I've got enough on my mind as it is.

I think we'll have to just drop the issue for now, and it will be too expensive later...

JAJ
Australia

Re: Mention of EU children in Naturalisation application?

Post by JAJ » Fri Mar 23, 2007 1:27 am

virtual-writer wrote:My husband has been thinking of us (me and five kids) getting naturalised together with him, and whether that would speed up or help in his application.

I'm not very keen on the idea. We are European nationals and subsequently don't experience the problems he does with restriction of movement/travelling, etc.
Your children will have certain rights as British citizens that they won't have as citizens of another EU state.

One fee (GBP200 now, GBP400 after 1 April) covers the registration of any number of children applying at the same time.

What European country are you from? Does it allow dual citizenship?

Two other points to bear in mind:

1. When did your husband obtain his ILR? Any children born after then are automatically British citizens and don't need registration.

2. If you arrived in the UK in August 2001, did you ever make any application for permanent residence (ILR)? If not, you would only have obtained PR/ILR automatically in August 2006 after 5 years of "exercising Treaty rights". As your husband isn't a British citizen (yet) you have to have permanent residence for 12 months before applying for naturalisation. You need to wait this time, or alternatively you can apply sooner once he becomes a British citizen.

virtual-writer

Post by virtual-writer » Fri Mar 23, 2007 12:09 pm

JAJ wrote: Your children will have certain rights as British citizens that they won't have as citizens of another EU state.
Such as what?
One fee (GBP200 now, GBP400 after 1 April) covers the registration of any number of children applying at the same time.
Are you sure about that?
Does it allow dual citizenship?
Yes, it does.
1. When did your husband obtain his ILR?
September 2006
2. If you arrived in the UK in August 2001, did you ever make any application for permanent residence (ILR)? If not, you would only have obtained PR/ILR automatically in August 2006 after 5 years of "exercising Treaty rights".
We applied for ILR together as a family, so we all have it.
you have to have permanent residence for 12 months before applying for naturalisation. You need to wait this time.
We've been told by the Home Office's Nationality group, that we can apply (by the earliest, for a chance to succeed) on 29th March, the date we applied for ILR (but that's just in his case, I think, we have it written on paper, addressed to my husband). We applied just in time before the change in required years of prior residence.

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Sat Mar 24, 2007 1:05 am

virtual-writer wrote:
JAJ wrote: Your children will have certain rights as British citizens that they won't have as citizens of another EU state.
Such as what?
Including the following:

- the right to a British passport;
- the right to vote in national elections and stand for public office
- security of status should immigration control ever be reimposed on those from EU member states
- exemption from deportation
- entitlement to apply for nationality restricted Civil Service posts

But more importantly, if your children are growing up as British, then why on earth should they want to have a different passport to all their friends?

Are you sure about that?
Yes I am. See:
http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/applyi ... feechanges

It clearly says that the GBP200 fee for minors covers multiple applications.

1. When did your husband obtain his ILR?
September 2006
2. If you arrived in the UK in August 2001, did you ever make any application for permanent residence (ILR)? If not, you would only have obtained PR/ILR automatically in August 2006 after 5 years of "exercising Treaty rights".
We applied for ILR together as a family, so we all have it.
you have to have permanent residence for 12 months before applying for naturalisation. You need to wait this time.
We've been told by the Home Office's Nationality group, that we can apply (by the earliest, for a chance to succeed) on 29th March, the date we applied for ILR (but that's just in his case, I think, we have it written on paper, addressed to my husband). We applied just in time before the change in required years of prior residence.
Something here doesn't make sense. Are you saying you got your ILR on 29th March 2006, but your husband only got his in September 2006? But then you say you all applied together, so this is inconsistent information.

Docterror
United Kingdom

Post by Docterror » Sat Mar 24, 2007 7:06 am

JAJ wrote:Something here doesn't make sense. Are you saying you got your ILR on 29th March 2006, but your husband only got his in September 2006? But then you say you all applied together, so this is inconsistent information.
...or a simpler explanation- they would have applied for the PR/ILR in March 2006, but the case was been decided in September 2006.
Jabi

virtual-writer

Post by virtual-writer » Sat Mar 24, 2007 1:20 pm

Docterror wrote:they would have applied for the PR/ILR in March 2006, but the case was been decided in September 2006.
Correct, and that's what I said.

Marco 72
Diamond Member

Post by Marco 72 » Sat Mar 24, 2007 6:17 pm

JAJ wrote:- security of status should immigration control ever be reimposed on those from EU member states
Even if immigration control is not reimposed, it is possible that as the EU grows the current rules for EU nationals might be enforced much more strictly.