ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

gross salary

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

shedy789

gross salary

Post by shedy789 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:16 am

Hi,

I'm just confused about the gross amount before tax to be calculated. I'm paid by company monthly salary but company is deducting pension from my salary and then salary is taxed.
which salary will be considered gross amount, gross amount after deducting pension or gross before deducting pension.

I need urgent answer as i'm at very critical stage at the moment because I want to apply before april 6, 2012

cs95tdg
Diamond Member

Re: gross salary

Post by cs95tdg » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:15 am

Gross earnings refer to your earnings before deductions, so you can claim points for the amount before your pension contributions are deducted, if you so wish to.

susheel

Post by susheel » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:35 am

Gross Salary

shedy789

Re: gross salary

Post by shedy789 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:04 pm

cs95tdg wrote:Gross earnings refer to your earnings before deductions, so you can claim points for the amount before your pension contributions are deducted, if you so wish to.
Hi, What do you mean if I wish to is it my discretion to use it or not. But if add pension to my earnings it will be considered, any reference from rules as my accountant is not accepting this argument, he is saying that UBA consider pension a type of personal benefit.

shedy789

Post by shedy789 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:05 pm

susheel wrote:Gross Salary
You mean gross salary before pension deductions?
, is so that will make me a bit comfortable.

cs95tdg
Diamond Member

Post by cs95tdg » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:22 pm

As stated before your Gross salary refers to your pay before any deductions. Here deductions could be any one of the following: NI, Income Tax, Pensions Contributions you make etc .... Different employers offer different taxable benefits. The fact that your pension is classified as a benefit provided by your employer, does not mean that the amount you contribute towards your pension, is not part of your Gross Pay. It's a % of your gross pay that you contribute to your pension.

The reason I said you can claim points for your earnings before your pension contributions are deducted if you wish, is because there is nothing to say you must claim points for all your earnings. Some people don't have their pension contributions mentioned in their payslips, so find it easier to claim points for their earnings after pension deductions, to keep the evidence simple, unless they need all earnings to qualify (in which case they would need to get a letter from their employer as evidence instead of using their payslips).

I have always claimed points for my gross pay, which included pension contributions when making my T1G applications. If you need a reference, the first step would be to read the T1G application form guidance & immigration rules to understand the specifics.