ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Impact of International secondment on ILR

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Skdba
Newly Registered

Impact of International secondment on ILR

Post by Skdba » Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:04 am

Folks
I am surprised not to see any threads on this topic. Here s my story:

Came to UK on T1 general in Jan 2010. I work for a multinational and have an option to take a 2 year international secondment starting this year, which means I will be out and back in The UK before the 5 year period. From a contract perspective, I will remain a UK employee and can work out (with HR) on continue getting salary in the UK which will enable me to continue paying taxes in the UK while I'm out (don't mind paying higher/double tax). I will have same employer for the entire period.

Question is - will working abroad for two years (with occasional trips to UK) but staying a Uk employee and continue paying taxes be considered 'economically active' to the home office? Can I then apply for ILR in Jan 2016?

Thanks for the advice!

vinny

Post by vinny » Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:10 am

This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

Skdba
Newly Registered

Post by Skdba » Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:18 am

Does not specify ILR qualification regarding an international assignment during the 5 year period. If I pay taxes on uk income without physically being in the country, will that be considerd residency?

vinny

Post by vinny » Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:31 am

The latter link implies that "short secondments" may be permitted. But absences over 180 days per year may be considered too long?
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.

Skdba
Newly Registered

Post by Skdba » Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:36 am

Indeed and that's explicitly stated. I would like to know regulation regarding longer assignments albeit I continue to pay taxes locally.

vinny

Post by vinny » Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:01 am

245AAA(a)(i).

In the absence of rules to the contrary, it would be risky to assume otherwise.
Syed, R (on the application of) v Secretary of State for the Home Department [2011] EWCA Civ 1059 (07 September 2011) wrote:It is thus in the nature of the Immigration Rules that they include no over-arching implicit purposes. Their only purpose is to articulate the Secretary of State's specific policies with regard to immigration control from time to time, as to which there are no presumptions, liberal or restrictive. The whole of their meaning is, so to speak, worn on their sleeve...