ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Working Tax credit for EEA National

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

gujjargujrati

Working Tax credit for EEA National

Post by gujjargujrati » Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:22 pm

Hi,
I am living and working in UK as self employed since Oct 2011 as I am French citizen. My wife and son have just join me on EEA FP,,,I am eligible for WTC and CTC because my income is average 800 pounds a month. I have called HMRC and they have sent my forms but because my wife does not have NI number which is compulsory for WTC application. I called Job Centre Plus for an appointment for NI number for my wife but they say that for benefit purpose HMRC will generate NI number themselves. Any suggestion what should I do ? anyone who has similar case as mine ?
I will be thankful for replies :idea:

elina1978
Newly Registered

Post by elina1978 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:57 pm

I have the same problem. Our joint application was received in July, they told us that they will arrange an interview for N.I. number and still nothing. Made so many telephone calls to no avail. They have promised me four times that they would give my case to a manager and they would contact me on my mobile which I have given them four times. Any suggestions? :roll: :roll: :roll:

Both EU nationals but my husband is working full time.

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:31 pm

The incompetence of the Tax Credits office continues! The law changed four years ago and still they continue to insist that both members of a couple claiming Tax Credits need to have NI number.

The fact is that in respect of a claim by a couple, only one of them must have a NI number.
John

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Re: Working Tax credit for EEA National

Post by Amber » Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:33 pm

gujjargujrati wrote:Hi,
I am living and working in UK as self employed since Oct 2011 as I am French citizen. My wife and son have just join me on EEA FP,,,I am eligible for WTC and CTC because my income is average 800 pounds a month. I have called HMRC and they have sent my forms but because my wife does not have NI number which is compulsory for WTC application. I called Job Centre Plus for an appointment for NI number for my wife but they say that for benefit purpose HMRC will generate NI number themselves. Any suggestion what should I do ? anyone who has similar case as mine ?
I will be thankful for replies :idea:
Only one NI number should be needed but, the Job Centre plus is the correct place. You do not need to say it is for benefit purposes. Just say that you wish to apply for a NI number/card and they will arrange the interview.

elina1978
Newly Registered

Post by elina1978 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:26 pm

From what I can see as we are both EU nationals we are not subject to immigration control, hence I assume that this: http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewto ... 057#477057 does not apply in our case. The thing is they are not even arranging an interview in order to get the NI number. Say we just ask for an interview ourselves and we get the NI number, would we have to reapply for WTC, therefore losing money we were supposed to receive since July?

elina1978
Newly Registered

Post by elina1978 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:46 pm

Any input on my assumption above? :roll: :roll: :roll:

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:35 pm

elina1978 wrote:From what I can see as we are both EU nationals we are not subject to immigration control, hence I assume that this: http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewto ... 057#477057 does not apply in our case. The thing is they are not even arranging an interview in order to get the NI number. Say we just ask for an interview ourselves and we get the NI number, would we have to reapply for WTC, therefore losing money we were supposed to receive since July?
Although you are not subject to immigration control you must have the right to reside to claim benefits. You should be able to ring the JC+ and get an interview. You can appeal a HMRC decision within 30 days of receiving the tax credits decision letter. If you make a new application, tax credits can only be back dated 1 month. Have you been to your local CAB? they have a direct line for NI numbers and HMRC tax credits. They can help much better.

wiggsy

Post by wiggsy » Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:01 am

call the number for the nino, say that your wife wishes to start a new job, but the employer wont employ her unless she has a valid nino ... - its part of the home office requirements Passport and valid document showing her current nino ;)

its what we i did when it came to getting my wifes nino... DO NOT MENTION BENEFITS...

The call:

"Hi, I need to arrange an appointment to obtain my nino (or if your calling, a nino for my wife)"

dwp: "what does she need a nino for"

"she has applied for a job, and expects to be able to commence employment in the next week or two... however the employer wants to see her nino before employing her."

DWP: "Ok, ill sort out an apt...." - it'll be about two weeks for an apt...

- its the fastest - and easiest way to get around the Tax credits / dwp idiots...

if your wife needs a letter from her prospective employer - write a letter stating that you are going to employ her as an administrative assistant within your company.... :)