ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EU Passport Stamps

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

1963British

EU Passport Stamps

Post by 1963British » Sat Mar 24, 2007 7:28 pm

I am British w/American spouse and children. Spouse and children now have ILE for the UK in their US Passports.

I am wondering if I should make arrangements to have the additional pages put into their US Passports before we go to the UK. I can get the passports back very quickly but it will cost $100 (US) per Passport to use a service.

After we get to the UK, once a month we will be traveling to the continent for a few days.

Because I am a UK (EU) Citizen, will the US Passports of my Spouse/Children be stamped upon arrival in France/Germany/Netherlands? Would any EU Treaty Rights apply as they are my dependents?

Upon returning to the UK, will their US Passports be stamped?

If they get stamped coming and going, in a little more than a year the passports will be full.

Marco 72
Diamond Member

Post by Marco 72 » Sat Mar 24, 2007 7:52 pm

Hi, I am an Italian/British citizen with American wife. We have been to Italy twice since getting married, and both times her passport was stamped by Italian immigration when she entered and left Italy, and by UK immigration only when she entered the UK. I am not sure how it works for other EU countries.

If their passports get full they can always get new ones, and carry the old ones with the visa stamps as well.

Dawie
Diamond Member

Post by Dawie » Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:42 am

Has anyone with an EU passport tried to ask a UK immigration officer to stamp their passport when entering the UK? I wonder if they would do it, and if they refuse, what rights you have with regard to that.
In a few years time we'll look back on immigration control like we look back on American prohibition in the thirties - futile and counter-productive.

vin123
Member of Standing

Post by vin123 » Mon Mar 26, 2007 10:06 am

If you have a EU passport, then there is 'permit-free' travel within other EU nations.
I believe this is outside immigration - hence they wont stamp saying that "your right is automatic" as opposed to "your right is granted" by a stamp at the border control.

Dawie wrote:Has anyone with an EU passport tried to ask a UK immigration officer to stamp their passport when entering the UK? I wonder if they would do it, and if they refuse, what rights you have with regard to that.

Christophe
Diamond Member

Post by Christophe » Mon Mar 26, 2007 10:59 am

Dawie wrote:Has anyone with an EU passport tried to ask a UK immigration officer to stamp their passport when entering the UK? I wonder if they would do it, and if they refuse, what rights you have with regard to that.
Sometimes they will agree to put in a date stamp with a 'by request' annotation.