ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Family Permit (Visa Application Center in Madrid)

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Ondatra
Newly Registered

Family Permit (Visa Application Center in Madrid)

Post by Ondatra » Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:25 pm

Good day to all,

First of all, a big thank you to everyone who posts in this forum! I have been browsing through different topics for couple of months now and found it extremely helpful.
However, as it sometimes happens, the more I read, the more confused I get...So apologies in advance if some questions are repeated.

Here is our situation: I am an EEA national (Lithuanian), my husband is a non-visa national (American). We have been living in Spain for almost 3 years now, living together for more than 2 and married for 1,5. We have been working all this time and now have decided to move to UK.

I have been very resistant to the whole Family Permit idea, knowing that we could do without it according to the EU law. However, after some consideration, we decided to go ahead and apply for it just to avoid the whole hassle at the border (we are travelling by car with our dog) and only in June, so there is still enough time.

We submitted our application last week and got an appointment in Madrid on the 19th of April (other dates were in the end of May!).
The online application (one must submit it when living in Spain) was annoying to say the least. They basically want to get as much information as possible. For example, we HAD to put the dates on when we intend to travel and LEAVE UK which contradicts our plans, of course. For the purpose of this application we entered a period of 6 months, but now I am hesitant if that might cause us further problems which brings me to my first question:

1. If the period entered on the EEA FM application is 6 months, can they ask for a proof that I, as an EEA national, will be exercising my Treaty rights after 3 months? (which I will, but I have no details at the moment and I am still working full time in Spain).

2. Financial information: I did fill in the details of the company we work for on the application (it's the same huge company for both of us), but no information about our savings. Here is my comment on the application:
'I would like to emphasize that financial information including savings is not required for a family permit for a spouse of EEA member and is subject to change before our trip.'
However, I am planning to include 3-6 months of payslips for both of us just in case. I know it is not necessarily, but I have them handy and don't mind providing them. How about bank statements though? I know I am contradicting myself here, but I can't decide whether to submit this information or not since there was no option to not include some of it on the online application itself.

3. Is a marriage certificate enough if we have been married since November, 2011? Or should we provide such information as being registered at the same flat, travelling together to various countries etc.?

4. Another very important detail: in Spain it is obligatory to provide the original Spanish residency card for my husband. He has it, so no worries. However, I would like to know if anyone applied in Madrid and if they kept the original until the permit is issued? We do not live in Madrid and have to go back home. Without any document we can't fly (we are taking a train instead), but even then we are really appalled by the idea that for some time he won't have any photo ID! Not mentioning the fact that for us the 'free' family permit is not actually free having in mind the translations, courier fee and train tickets...

5. And finally, here is the list of the supporting documents we are going to take to the embassy in Madrid:
  • Original Marriage Certificate (translated from Catalan to English)
    My husband's passport
    His Spanish Residency card
    Copy of my passport, endorsed my my embassy in Madrid
    A cover letter from me stating that my husband will be accompanying me to UK
    His passport sized photograph
    Printed and signed application
    Payslips, bank statements and work contracts from Spain ???
I would really appreciate some clarification on these topics since I am getting a bit more confused before the appointment...Especially from people who applied in Madrid.
I am once again really sorry if I (probably) repeated some of the questions.

Big thank you in advance!

EUsmileWEallsmile

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:55 pm

You might have had more problems with the dog than your spouse at the border.

An EU application ought be really simple

marriage certificate
passports
a letter stating that you will accompany or join

that's it...

Ondatra
Newly Registered

Post by Ondatra » Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:09 pm

They ought to be simple, but not always are...So the financial information in this case would be completely unnecassary?
You mentioned problems with the dog. Could I ask why? UK changed their requirements regarding bringing pets to the country on the 1st of Jan, 2012 and they no longer require quarantine.
Thanks!

Jambo
Respected Guru

Re: Family Permit (Visa Application Center in Madrid)

Post by Jambo » Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:23 pm

I have been very resistant to the whole Family Permit idea, knowing that we could do without it according to the EU law. However, after some consideration, we decided to go ahead and apply for it just to avoid the whole hassle at the border (we are travelling by car with our dog) and only in June, so there is still enough time.
I would skip applying for EEA Family Permit. They are quite familiar with the EEA regulations at the border and even if you are delayed a bit, it won't be as long as it would take you to get to Madrid from Barcelona.

Ondatra
Newly Registered

Post by Ondatra » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:38 am

We will go ahead with it now just because the tickets are already bought and most of the documents ready...My worry was that even if we get into UK fine, we might have difficulties when trying to prove to the employers what that Code 1A means and that my husband has the right to work. I found different stories regarding this, not all of them successful...
Anyone else had to deal with Madrid visa selection?

Thanks!

EUsmileWEallsmile

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:29 pm

Ondatra wrote:They ought to be simple, but not always are...So the financial information in this case would be completely unnecassary?
yes

EUsmileWEallsmile

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:47 pm

Ondatra wrote:
You mentioned problems with the dog. Could I ask why? UK changed their requirements regarding bringing pets to the country on the 1st of Jan, 2012 and they no longer require quarantine.
Thanks!
This is an immigration forum for people, I don't know the requirements for dogs. The point I was trying to make (maybe it didn't come across well) is that for EU citizen's family members the requirements for entry are very simple.

There will be nothing particularly unusual about applying for a family permit in Spain. The requirements will be the same as those for any other VAC centre.