ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Switching from job in construction to business

Only for UK Tier 1 (Entrepreneur) points system. This route is now closed to new applicants.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

webnomi
Newly Registered

Switching from job in construction to business

Post by webnomi » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:15 pm

Hi,
I am currently working as Construction Site Engineer on PSW which is expiring in few weeks. My company wants to keep me but they don't have sponsor license. Is that possible to register as Ltd Company and keep providing Engineering Services to them?
I have a business plan to create jobs by hiring 'Assistant Engineers' (shortly) and 'Site Engineers' (when I will have enough experience to be site manager hopefully).
Engineering Instruments are very expensive and I can invest my £50,000 by having my own instruments one by one
What problems and Impossibilities can I face in my plan? Is it workable?
Can following things happen?
1. No Visa because its job not business?
2. No Work because visa says so?
3. No Work/Visa because IR35 issue?

Lucapooka
Respected Guru

Post by Lucapooka » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:48 pm

Building and civil engineering technicians
Building technician, Civil engineering technician, Structural engineering technician
Section F –construction
NQF 3

Unless, of course, your talent is graded higher than this but that's not clear from what you have stated.

webnomi
Newly Registered

Post by webnomi » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:57 pm

Lucapooka wrote:3114
Building and civil engineering technicians
Building technician, Civil engineering technician, Structural engineering technician
Section F –construction
NQF 3

Unless, of course, your talent is graded higher than this but that's not clear from what you have stated.
Sorry for not making it clear. I am graduate Civil engineer with MSc. in Project Management.
NQF is not a problem

it is:
2121 Civil engineers City engineer, Civil engineer,
Mining engineer, Municipal
engineer, Petroleum engineer,
Structural engineer
Section F –
construction
NQF 6

But my problem is , 'Will I be considered employed?' , 'should I be worried about IR35'

Lucapooka
Respected Guru

Post by Lucapooka » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:02 pm

If you are effectively working full-time with the contracting entity in what can be considered as a master and servant relationship, yes, you should be concerned. But this is a matter for the HMRC to determine and permit your "client" to do. It's not really a problem for the initial application.

webnomi
Newly Registered

Post by webnomi » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:12 pm

Lucapooka wrote:If you are effectively working full-time with the contracting entity in what can be considered as a master and servant relationship, yes, you should be concerned. But this is a matter for the HMRC to determine and permit your "client" to do. It's not really a problem for the initial application.
First of all thanks for responding. Can you please also tell me that is that possible I will get refusal because of this reason?
and also What if after this Company I need to find more work. Can I still work like this under this visa category?

Lucapooka
Respected Guru

Post by Lucapooka » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:21 pm

webnomi wrote:Can you please also tell me that is that possible I will get refusal because of this reason?
I did not say that. Please read what I did say. The initial application will be accepted if you intend to work as an engineer (operate your business model as a freelance or contracted engineer at that level - senior role, rather than site technician as I indicated) in the category stated in the SOC. Later, when you apply to extend, the nature of your actual business will be scrutinized.

webnomi
Newly Registered

Post by webnomi » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:45 pm

Thanks very much. Yes i did read n I was just confirming. So it means I can be granted visa initially but have to produce 2 jobs (i.e 2 Assistant Engineers in my particular case) within 2 years in order to get extension.
am I right?
:P :P

Lucapooka
Respected Guru

Post by Lucapooka » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:13 pm

The two jobs can be cleaners if you wish; they don't have to be engineers.

webnomi
Newly Registered

Post by webnomi » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:19 pm

Lucapooka wrote:Yes. But the two jobs can be cleaners; they don't have to be engineers.
That is very good, thank you very much.

Duke22
Newly Registered

Why should you buy them?

Post by Duke22 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:47 am

In construction business, I think rather then buying your on equipment people hire instruments from third parties who provide services for plant hiring etc

krish222
Newly Registered

hi WEBNOMI

Post by krish222 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:30 am

hi

I did civil eng and Msc in construction project management and applied for ent visa in sep 2012.I haven't got any reply from UKBA till today.If you PM your email id that would be helpful for both of us to discuss about visa.

thank you

webnomi
Newly Registered

Re: hi WEBNOMI

Post by webnomi » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:26 am

krish222 wrote:hi

I did civil eng and Msc in construction project management and applied for ent visa in sep 2012.I haven't got any reply from UKBA till today.If you PM your email id that would be helpful for both of us to discuss about visa.

thank you
I think if we discus here , it will help other users as well if some reader is in same situation as you and me