ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Immigration through military service

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Marco 72
Diamond Member

Immigration through military service

Post by Marco 72 » Sat Mar 24, 2007 10:54 am

Is it possible for Commonwealth citizens to enlist in the British armed forces in their own countries as a way of emigrating to the UK?

pumkin

Re: Immigration through military service

Post by pumkin » Mon Mar 26, 2007 3:50 pm

Marco 72 wrote:Is it possible for Commonwealth citizens to enlist in the British armed forces in their own countries as a way of emigrating to the UK?
There are quite a few people that are doing this, however, I know that countries such as South Africa are stipulating that you HAVE to get permission from them to join a foreign army. If you don't get this permission you can get into tremendous trouble. Further, even though you are given permission to stay in the UK during your service, there is no guarantee that they will give you citizenship, so tread carefully and do all your homework.

Marco 72
Diamond Member

Post by Marco 72 » Mon Mar 26, 2007 7:08 pm

Thanks, I was curious about how long these foreign soldiers have to wait before applying for naturalisation on the basis of Crown service, and how difficult it is for such applications to succeed.

JAJ
Australia

Re: Immigration through military service

Post by JAJ » Tue Mar 27, 2007 4:00 am

Marco 72 wrote:Is it possible for Commonwealth citizens to enlist in the British armed forces in their own countries as a way of emigrating to the UK?
In general the British armed forces do not recruit people who have been resident outside the UK a long time. This can even affect some British citizens overseas who want to join the Forces:
http://www.raf.mod.uk/careers/istheraff ... idency.cfm

This document shows how residence requirements for naturalisation can be waived for those in the Armed Forces:
http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/docume ... iew=Binary

pumkin

Post by pumkin » Fri Mar 30, 2007 11:18 am

My brother is in the British army - he is a SA citizen. Being my half brother is doesn't have any connections to the UK at all. There are loads of foreigners in the army as they find it difficult to recruit.