ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Stolen US Passport Containing UK Visa- travel to EU

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Skylar1331

Stolen US Passport Containing UK Visa- travel to EU

Post by Skylar1331 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:46 pm

I had my flat broken into and my passport containing my post-study migrant Tier 1 visa stolen over the holiday weekend. The police are on the case and I've already had my mother overnight me an expired passport but I have five trips planned for the next few months and I'm trying to figure out the best plan of action so I come out without losing thousands of pounds (the tickets are all to Europe and are all non-refundable). I live and work in the UK and am about to be switched to a Tier II visa by my employer anyway.

I have airline tickets for next week so in theory I can get the US to issue me a temporary Emergency passport. The only issue is it will not contain my visa and I've read on other boards that getting back into the UK could be tricky because they will see only an exit stamp. If I take a scanned copy of my visa and they use my biometrics (surely my fingerprints should be better proof than a paper of my status!) along with the police report and explain the situation, will I be able to get back in? If I did this once, could I get away with doing it again for another trip next month?

I called the home office and they advised I don't travel until my visa is replaced. They said if I come back into the country without a visa I am effecitvely lieing and saying I'm a tourist when I'm not. Apparently a TOC costs about 600 pounds and it wouldn't make any sense to have one put in a temporary passport.

The home office said I don't even need my visa to be replaced because it expires in November and my company is already getting ready to switch me to a Tier II visa. Submitting the police report and photocopies should be good enough to get my next visa. I don't want to hurt my chances of getting the next visa though by leaving the country on a temporary passport without my visa and being scolded.

Because of the wait time (no appointments until May 8 and then it's another four weeks) to get a permanent US passport replacement and then the three month maintence funds requirement for the new visa which I will start maintaining from today, I won't have a permanent solution until July.

My British boyfriend is crushed as we'll lose money on the tickets and won't be able to celebrate his birthday together. Surely I am the victim here but by the way the embassies and Home office are treating me- I almost feel like a trouble maker with an unreasonable request!

If I plan on a permanent solution with a new passport and a new visa for July, is it worth going for a temporary passport and trying to get back into the country with photocopies, police reports etc.? Any advice would be much appreciated!

ban.s

Re: Stolen US Passport Containing UK Visa- travel to EU

Post by ban.s » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:33 pm

Skylar1331 wrote: I called the home office and they advised I don't travel until my visa is replaced. They said if I come back into the country without a visa I am effecitvely lieing and saying I'm a tourist when I'm not.
You have received correct advice.
Skylar1331 wrote:If I take a scanned copy of my visa and they use my biometrics (surely my fingerprints should be better proof than a paper of my status!) along with the police report and explain the situation, will I be able to get back in? If I did this once, could I get away with doing it again for another trip next month?
See above. Your entry will be at the discretion of the immigration officer at the border. If you were successfull once it's highly unlikely you'll receive the same benefit on your next trip.

INSIDER

Post by INSIDER » Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:20 am

I have the opposite view to Ban S and this stems from my experience as a Border Force Officer.

Yes travel on your temporary passport and have a copy of your current visa. As you said, explain the situation to the officer, he/she will probably ask you to take a seat while checks are done. Once these confirm your immigration status in the UK there really should be no problem.

You'd only be lying if you actually told the officer you are a tourist,there is no need to do this.

I see people in your situation regularly. It really is no biggie. :lol:
Let us know how it goes.

wf
Member of Standing

Post by wf » Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:44 am

Skylar1331 wrote:Apparently a TOC costs about 600 pounds and it wouldn't make any sense to have one put in a temporary passport.
I don't think you can get a TOC as you are not in possession of the old visa. As ridiculous as it sounds, if you want the PSW visa replaced you have to reapply and pay the full fee.

See bottom of this page: http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/visas ... a-holders/

[edit] - This is assuming you didn't have a BRP card.

ban.s

Post by ban.s » Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:16 pm

wf wrote:
Skylar1331 wrote:Apparently a TOC costs about 600 pounds and it wouldn't make any sense to have one put in a temporary passport.
I don't think you can get a TOC as you are not in possession of the old visa. As ridiculous as it sounds, if you want the PSW visa replaced you have to reapply and pay the full fee.

The above link is for out of the country visa holders. For in country it's TOC

ban.s

Post by ban.s » Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:23 pm

INSIDER wrote:I see people in your situation regularly. It really is no biggie. :lol:
Good to know your view on this.
Would you not advise the person to get a new vignette/BRP for future travels? or allow entry again without it?

INSIDER

Post by INSIDER » Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:53 pm

ban.s wrote:
INSIDER wrote:I see people in your situation regularly. It really is no biggie. :lol:
Good to know your view on this.
Would you not advise the person to get a new vignette/BRP for future travels? or allow entry again without it?
Most definitely,she should rectify the problem as soon as she can.

The bottom line is however,that so long as she has extant leave in the UK and this can be verified she will not be refused entry. It will just become an inconvenience for her as she will be sat down while checks are carried out. And how long these checks will take will depend on entirely how busy the immigration hall is.

wf
Member of Standing

Post by wf » Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:52 am

ban.s wrote:
wf wrote:

The above link is for out of the country visa holders. For in country it's TOC
I'm not so sure.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... 102009.pdf
Form TOC must be used if you already have permission to be in the UK for a limited period as confirmed
by a stamp or sticker in a passport or other document

issued to you
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... 020091.pdf
Page 14 Required documents include current passport.

ban.s

Post by ban.s » Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:15 pm

wf wrote: http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... 020091.pdf
Page 14 Required documents include current passport.
TOC to be used for Transfer of vignette from one passport to another. Page 14 lists all possible documents and applicant must provide the documents which are relevant to the application. Read the first line of Section 6 Page 14.
Also you'll notice there are options for Lost or stolen passport(s).

abhishekjain1983
Newly Registered

Post by abhishekjain1983 » Tue May 14, 2013 6:57 pm

Hello Skylar1331,

Sorry to hear but I hope things worked out well for you. I am in similar situation now but fortunately dont have any urgent need to travel anytime soon.

I had my tier 1 dependent visa valid till Sep 2013 stamped in my passport but lost the passport. My spouse employer is ready to sponsor us for Tier 2 visa but the questions is - Do I need to stamp tier 1 dependent (my current visa) before I apply for Tier 2 visa?

My spouse employer didnt know what to do so they obviously asked us to get a replacement visa. I noticed that you spoke with UKBA on this - what was their response? Is there any written evidence to support their response? What additional documents do I need to submit?