ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Tier 4 to Tier 2

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Jrat19
Newly Registered

Tier 4 to Tier 2

Post by Jrat19 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:37 am

Hello,

I finished my PhD a few weeks ago and my new employer has provided me with my CofS number today. I already have a biometrics card from my Tier 4 visa so my question is, will I need to register my biometric data again for the new application? If they already have this information on record, will this improve the processing time?

Second question, does having an advocate submit an application on your behalf improve processing time?

Final question. For the Tier 2 application form, question L5 states 'What is your current or last grant of leave?' My current leave to remain is as a Tier 4 Student so should I tick the box for 'Tier 4 migrant' or the box for 'Student'?

Many thanks.
J

physicskate
Diamond Member

Re: Tier 4 to Tier 2

Post by physicskate » Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:03 pm

Jrat19 wrote:Hello,

I finished my PhD a few weeks ago and my new employer has provided me with my CofS number today. I already have a biometrics card from my Tier 4 visa so my question is, will I need to register my biometric data again for the new application? If they already have this information on record, will this improve the processing time?

Second question, does having an advocate submit an application on your behalf improve processing time?

Final question. For the Tier 2 application form, question L5 states 'What is your current or last grant of leave?' My current leave to remain is as a Tier 4 Student so should I tick the box for 'Tier 4 migrant' or the box for 'Student'?

Many thanks.
J
1.) EVERY time you apply for leave to remain (ie a new BRP) or entry clearance, your biometrics will be enrolled during the consideration of your application. Having previously submitted biometrics has no impact on the processing of your current application. (For instance, they have taken my biometrics 4 times....)

2.) You can apply for a PEO appointment via the online booking system. Representatives have access to a similar arrangement. These appointments are difficult to get as so many people want these appointments. They will only consider straightforward applications at these appointments but they normally decide on the same day (hence the high demand).

3.) Tier 4. Student is now a defunct category and has been replaced by Tier 4.

swgirl

Post by swgirl » Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:12 pm

The UKBA have a Priority Postal Service too. Have a look at it online.

Jrat19
Newly Registered

Post by Jrat19 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:41 am

[quote="swgirl"]The UKBA have a Priority Postal Service too. Have a look at it online.[/quote]

Many thanks, I sent the application via post with my CofS and relevant documentation on 5 April so hopefully everything will be pretty straightforward. Of course, dealing with the UKBA prompts irrational fears about the application being invalidated or rejected on the basis of a technicality.

For postal applications that specify payment with a debit card, do you happen to know whether the payment is deducted as soon as the application is received or after the biometrics are supplied?

Also, if the application is declared invalid, how long does it take for the UKBA to return the application materials?

Cheers,
J

physicskate
Diamond Member

Post by physicskate » Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:31 am

Jrat19 wrote:
For postal applications that specify payment with a debit card, do you happen to know whether the payment is deducted as soon as the application is received or after the biometrics are supplied?

Also, if the application is declared invalid, how long does it take for the UKBA to return the application materials?
They should take your payment within days of receipt of your application. Def before biometrics. However, it is only after your biometrics that they will actually consider your application. So I presume it would also be sometime after biometrics that any return would be made if your application is determined to be invalid. Others might have more comment....

Jrat19
Newly Registered

Post by Jrat19 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:09 am

Many thanks.

Having read through different posts in this forum, I think I may have been left with a somewhat skewed impression of how anything that can go wrong will go wrong when dealing with the UKBA so I am rather stressed.

I also question whether the experiences of people who post on this site are really representative of the experiences of the majority of applicants.
The logic behind this statement is that people who have a fairly straightforward experience applying for a visa probably have limited reason to post on the site.

In terms of processing times, it also appears that the typical Tier 2 employer sponsored applicant who posts on immigrationboards waits about 8-9 weeks to receive a decision yet the UKBA website states that over 90% of applications are processed within 4 weeks. I wonder whether this discrepancy supports my point regarding the skewed sample or rather, it may be the case that the four week estimate is unrealistic. Along these lines, does anybody know if it is possible to access statistics on application success rates for different visa types? My guess is that sponsored tier 2 visas would probably have the highest success rate both in terms of both the initial applications and appeals (assuming that the applicant appeals through a lawyer, has a valid CofS and can meet the points based criteria).

physicskate
Diamond Member

Post by physicskate » Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:19 am

An FOI request may answer your questions.

I think last year's debacle with sponsorship applications will answer your question: It took my employer 5 months to be a sponsor. Straightforward application. UKBA say this should take a couple of weeks.

Additionally, I believe they say 'decided' only when biometrics have been given. So if it takes some weeks for them to send you a biometric invite, this is not included in the time to decide.

Basically the whole thing is a farce. But yes, I reckon the vast majority of people making applications, though still a stressful experience, do not enlist the support of a site like this. Mostly, I reckon we hear about slightly more complex cases in general, though there are probably still people like ourselves with straightforward cases that come here because for whatever reason UKBA made them less straightforward (for instance by not allowing sponsors to sign up to their system).

Jrat19
Newly Registered

Post by Jrat19 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:39 am

Five months is bloody ridiculous! Benefits of hindsight etc. but you could have actually justified using the £6,000 premium service on the basis of lost income! Did you ever receive an explanation or an apology?

Hopefully uncertainty surrounding how the UKBA's abolishment will be managed and questions about individual job insecurity will improve processing times but in all likelihood, it will probably make things worse. If only it were actually possible to book an appointment using the on-line system!

FOI is an interesting idea. I wonder if the statistics would show variation with regards to applicant's country of origin and the type of employer. I suspect that it might...