ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Scanned copy of Sponsorship letter and bank statement OK?

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

t1s2010
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Scanned copy of Sponsorship letter and bank statement OK?

Post by t1s2010 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:08 pm

Do you have first-hand experience (Yourself or your visitor) where you/friend provided ONLY scanned copy of sponsorship letter and got the visitor visa?

NOTE: *Original docs are must for visitor himself*. Talking only about sponsor side of docs.
For general visitor visa, there are many conflicting posts on sponsorship letter and/or bank statement being scanned/xerox versus Original only. Each having their own success story and reasons.
I am inclined to send the scanned copy of documents including bank statement and sponsorship letter.
I am looking for affirmation on simplest cases. Complex cases surely needs little more hardwork to do.
Some members here suggested 'original only'. However, I do see 'doubts' in those cases due to not a clear job-status or not sufficient ties to home country. But, posters putting the onus on photocopies alone.
Not applicant's fault totally, case worker rejected stating the same.
Your response will reassure many a future application that 'original' is NOT a rule for sponsor-side of document.

Many Thanks.

The Station Agent
United Kingdom

Post by The Station Agent » Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:12 pm

In my lengthy experience of visa processes and UKBA stuff the UK authorities will not approve a visa app that relies on a scanned or copied document. They generally assume all copies or scans are not genuine or cannot be relied upon. Even a sponsor letter. If this is a vital document to the application then it must be an original.

z18runway

Post by z18runway » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:51 am

Just to reassure you

I gave scanned copy of

Passport
BRP
Sponsor letter with signature

My parents got visa with these scanned copies from india.

While they were applying my visa was finishing, but still they got 6 months.

t1s2010
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Post by t1s2010 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:34 am

Great. Thanks Z18runway. So, we do have first hand success story.

So sponsor's original is advisable and good to have (surely based on the application's merit) but this alone can not be a rejection reason.

z18runway

Post by z18runway » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:30 am

I have never heard of rejecting an application form purely based on scanned copies.

The Station Agent
United Kingdom

Post by The Station Agent » Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:57 pm

z18 - you never heard of a visa app being rejected for relying on copied documents? I'm surprised, to say the least. The UK Visas and UKBA guidelines say copies are not acceptable. If, for instance, someone gave copies of bank statements this is a routine reason for refusal.

z18runway

Post by z18runway » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:49 pm

The Station Agent wrote:z18 - you never heard of a visa app being rejected for relying on copied documents? I'm surprised, to say the least. The UK Visas and UKBA guidelines say copies are not acceptable. If, for instance, someone gave copies of bank statements this is a routine reason for refusal.
sorry! I missed that

t1s2010
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Post by t1s2010 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:05 am

There are many a conflicting versions for letter etc.
e.g. check this post out
Visitor visa sponsorship enquiry?
ban.s mentioned that other scanned documents are fine however sponsorship letter must be original.

One can interpret it as 'all documents can be scanned one', however 'letter has to be original' and thus I asked the question.

Now, I have confirmation from the VFS India over email that sponsor's letter from UK can be scanned or faxed one.

AGAIN, it is totally on one's situation/finances etc.
However, per process, sponsorship letter CAN be a scanned copy.
---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Info on UK Visa in West India <Infouk.westin@vfshelpline.com>
Date: Wed, Apr 10, 2013 at 4:47 AM
Subject: RE: Scanned copy of sponsorship letter for general visitor visa
To: ME <ME@gmail.com>

Dear ****,
Thank you for contacting VFS UK Visa Helpdesk.

With regards to your query, please be informed that we accept scanned or faxed copies of documents from UK.

For further assistance, please visit our Website or contact us at 022-67866000, Timings: 0800 - 1700 (Monday to Friday except High Commission Holidays)

Important Information: For tracking passport please click here

Best regards,
----------
VFS UK – Help Desk
----------

Sent: Tuesday, April 09, 2013 2:46 PM

To: Info on UK Visa in West India
Subject: Re: Scanned copy of sponsorship letter for general visitor visa

Thank you **** for quick response.

I guess I have not made my query clear.
The person who is applying will be submitting all original, however as 'sponsor' can I submit the scanned/xerox of sponsorship letter or not?

Unlike the point-system guidance notes, visitor visa guidance notes are not clear enough at
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... sitors.pdf
Thus, I wanted to confirm about the legal requirements of original vs scanned copy.

Warm Regards,
ME

z18runway

Post by z18runway » Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:23 pm

good luck

ban.s

Post by ban.s » Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:46 pm

t1s2010 wrote:There are many a conflicting versions for letter etc.
e.g. check this post out
Visitor visa sponsorship enquiry?
ban.s mentioned that other scanned documents are fine however sponsorship letter must be original.
If you read the last post on the above thread, I did clarify that further on this. Also see the UKBA guidance on the supporting documents for visitors. I haven;t seen ay explicit reference for any "orginal" documents especially from the sponsor. So purely on that basis, an application can't be refused.

t1s2010
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Post by t1s2010 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:16 pm

Thank you z18runway.

ban.s, yes I saw the other post too and many more around. I just quoted you as one of the example which was a clear message to me.

I didn't want to say if you correct mate. sorry if it sounded otherwise to you.

AmitG
Newly Registered

Post by AmitG » Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:44 pm

According to this page: http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/visas ... documents/
(emphasis mine):
If you will supply financial support and accommodation for your visitor, and/or you will pay for their travel to the UK, they will need to provide:

copies of your bank or building society statements and payslips for the last 6 months; or
a copy of your savings account book.
So that's pretty clear. It doesn't say anything about the sponsorship letter though.