ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Life in UK test post 25th March

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

DesiBoys

Life in UK test post 25th March

Post by DesiBoys » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:23 pm

Hi,

Can anyone please help suggesting which book(or all) are required to prepare for LIUK test?

http://www.tsoshop.co.uk/bookstore.asp?FO=1278111

with so much material on the web and new book launch its a bit confusing with what to choose. Is it best to buy a pack of all 3?

reabs

Re: Life in UK test post 25th March

Post by reabs » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:45 pm

I got the value pack of all three (pre-25th). All three were invaluable and if you sit down and work through them (shouldn't take more than two days) a pass is guaranteed. If you have very good reading and comprehension skills, 100% score should be easily achievable. The subject matter may have changed but its the same skills being examined.

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:18 am

DesiBoys wrote:Hi,

Can anyone please help suggesting which book(or all) are required to prepare for LIUK test?

http://www.tsoshop.co.uk/bookstore.asp?FO=1278111

with so much material on the web and new book launch its a bit confusing with what to choose. Is it best to buy a pack of all 3?
Just Life in the United Kingdom 3rd Edition: A Guide for New Residents.
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

alanwong

Post by alanwong » Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:48 am

D4109125 wrote: Just Life in the United Kingdom 3rd Edition: A Guide for New Residents.
I agree. No points to buy other editions, just waste of money.

DesiBoys

Post by DesiBoys » Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:07 pm

Thanks!!

Louby Lou
Newly Registered

Post by Louby Lou » Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:27 pm

Hi,
I wondered if reabs had any advice about doing the test? My husband is currently studying for it and, as a non-native English speaker, is finding particularly the history hard going. We have all the books but have been concentrating on the Q and A book- is this helpful or do we need to try to slog through all the info in the Guide book?
I know it states that the questions are not the same 'but similar' I wondered how similar?
Thanks

reabs

Post by reabs » Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:40 am

Louby Lou wrote:Hi,
I wondered if reabs had any advice about doing the test? My husband is currently studying for it and, as a non-native English speaker, is finding particularly the history hard going. We have all the books but have been concentrating on the Q and A book- is this helpful or do we need to try to slog through all the info in the Guide book?
I know it states that the questions are not the same 'but similar' I wondered how similar?
Thanks
I'm not sure when he will be taking the test but it would help to use all three books (I disagree with the other posters). If you are pressed for time, then just focus on the Q&A (referring to the guide for clarification). The questions aren't exactly the same but very similar. The wording will be different but the answer the same - that is how your knowledge of english is tested. The danger of using just the Q&A is that though most of the possible questions are there, not all of them are. So it is very important that he understands the range of possible questions and their answers rather than just cram it. E.g. know who the Huguenots were, where they came from, where they settled, when, their religious beliefs and why they left instead of just remembering that they were some french guys.

The thing to note though is that ALL the questions they will ask are answered in the 'Life in the United Kingdom: A Guide for New Residents - 3rd Edition'. Don't go studying British history on the internet or someone's PhD thesis analysing the intricacies of the battle of Hastings - study only that which is in the guide and no more, no less.

I found that a good way to tackle it was to study the main guide then take a test from the Q&A (without referring to any book or internet) and time yourself. If you get 24/24 correct, then you are OK with that section and shouldnt spend much more time on it. If you get less than 18/24 in that test, it means you need to study that chapter of the guide in greater detail. Take a whole day if needed but get that section right. There are free online tests - take one that relates to the chapter you have just failed and see if your studying has helped. If not, study again! There are lots of online tests...take as many of them as possible and refer back to the guide for correct answers. Careful though...some of those online tests are rubbish and some are good.

Louby Lou
Newly Registered

Post by Louby Lou » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:20 am

Thanks for your comprehensive reply reabs. I think that confirms pretty much what we have found now- there's not any shortcut to this test. I think you have to understand the source material pretty well. The 3 books do work quite well together, although my eyes glaze over at the English Civil war, so Goodness knows how non-native speakers feel :oops:
Good luck to anyone else who's studying now.