ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Check and Send experience

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

insomniac

Check and Send experience

Post by insomniac » Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:44 am

Hi,

I used the Check and Send service, but I was horrified just how bad the service was. To say that the post office employee was clueless is a euphemism.

She insisted that I include my cancelled passports (I have two old passports that ran out of pages, their corners were snipped and stamped cancelled but returned to me because they had valid visas). I told her that the passport guidance booklet says in black and white only uncancelled passports are to be included.

She said that I should ignore what's in the booklet, that she's trained for this and this my passport application will most probably be delayed.

Anyone else had a similar experience?

need_a_tier1

Post by need_a_tier1 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:05 pm

Similar experience reported by another member here:

http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewtopic.php?p=798449

I also applied recently and was not asked to include my cancelled passport. Although, I took both passports(valid and cancelled) to avoid problems at the post office desk.

need_a_tier1

Post by need_a_tier1 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:15 pm

However, the PO staff were clueless about another point.

I applied for 48 page jumbo passport and when they were trying to add the £3 secure delivery fee for return of documents. It would not come on their system. After trying for a few mins and calling supervisor(who was equally puzzled) I was told that you are lucky that the system isn't charging you £3 for secure delivery.

However, the information from IPS on the website clearly says:
There’s no extra charge for returning documents by Secure Delivery if you:
- renew an adult passport and have applied for a 48-page jumbo passport
Source: https://www.gov.uk/passport-fees

Plum70
Diamond Member

Post by Plum70 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:38 pm

need_a_tier1 wrote:However, the information from IPS on the website clearly says:
There’s no extra charge for returning documents by Secure Delivery if you:
- renew an adult passport and have applied for a 48-page jumbo passport
Source: https://www.gov.uk/passport-fees
Note the bolded verb which implies that the applicant already holds a British passport. I imagine that you were not renewing but applying for a first British passport?

If so I would imagine that the £3 SD charge should've applied.

Maybe you were lucky or maybe I have misinterpreted the text.

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:40 pm

Wow! 48 pages passport. I find it difficult to fill 2 pages in the passport. No one stamps the passport any more. Luckily there are still a countries in the world that require a visa from British citizens.

destiniation_london

Post by destiniation_london » Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:53 pm

I think there are many countries which issues Visa on arrival to UK citizens, but am not sure if its a document or does it get actually stamped on passport?

Plum70
Diamond Member

Post by Plum70 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:59 pm

Perhaps numerous trips are lined up warranting a chunky passport.

While stamps/visas can be a tad inconveniencing if one is super-frequent flyer, they are a good reminder of one's journeys and can hold good memories. Mine does for me as well as my husband on his past visits to east, west and southern Africa and the UK back in the days when EU passports were still stamped.

need_a_tier1

Post by need_a_tier1 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:49 pm

Well, at the end it was only 10 quid extra (considering they didn't charge the £3 secure delivery fee) -

£84.25(32 pages, £3 secure delivery) vs £94.25 (48 pages, £0 secure delivery fee).

AFAIK, Indian immigration still stamp the EU passports, so spending 10 quid more now seemed wise rather than renewing the passport later. I may be wrong, but went for it anyway.