ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Very good news for multiple GAP issues

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

jaberdene

Very good news for multiple GAP issues

Post by jaberdene » Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:32 pm

Hi all

New long residence guidance is out , valid from 10 Apr 2013.
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... iew=Binary

Before this, only one single gap which is 10 days or less used to be disregarded for long residence applications. Now you can have multiple gaps as long as they are 28 days or less. I found it very good news actually.

see page 20 of the guidance.

Gap(s) in lawful residence
You may grant the application if an applicant:
- has short gaps in lawful residence through making previous applications out of time by
no more than 28 calendar days, and
- meets all the other requirements for lawful residence.

For Example
An applicant has three gaps in their lawful residence due to submitting three separate applications out of time.
These were 9, 17 and 24 days out of time.
Question Would you grant the application in this case?
Answer Yes. Grant the application as the rules allow for a periods of overstaying of 28 days or less.
Last edited by jaberdene on Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

zen135

Post by zen135 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:46 am

The new guidelines are confusing.

So, does this mean that, for example, if an applicant submits an application before the 28 days out of time deadline and the UKBA takes 3 months to approve the application(meaning technically the applicant has overstayed by around 4 months by then), then would they still be fine under these new guidelines?

uksettlement
India

Post by uksettlement » Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:11 am

Hi zen,

You are confusing the above changes. It is to do with gaps between applications I.e., if the previous permission to stay expires and the applicant makes a fresh application even after 28 days it will still be considered valid. Whereas previously it was less than 10 days.

Hope this helps.

Thanks!

Sohel
Thanks!

Disclaimer: I am no immigration lawyer nor am I OISC qualified. Suggestions given by me are based on personal experience of dealing with UKBA. Don't treat my advice as a substitute for legal opinion.

Damanisshallo
Respected Guru

Is it good news for all?

Post by Damanisshallo » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:22 am

This certainly is a good news for many but the million dollar question is, if this rule is in retrospection or for the applications made after 10th April 2013?
Statutory Warning:Members are advised to make thorough inquiries before acting upon any description displayed on my behalf.
Skydrives, Templates

deleted_user

Post by deleted_user » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:33 am

zen135 wrote:So, does this mean that, for example, if an applicant submits an application before the 28 days out of time deadline and the UKBA takes 3 months to approve the application(meaning technically the applicant has overstayed by around 4 months by then), then would they still be fine under these new guidelines?
An application that was made when the applicant has valid visa but took long time for UKBA to process (so visa expired while application was with UKBA) will automatically cause the existing visa to extend until such time that the application is decided. So in such cases you will not overstay your visa illegally as your visa has automatically extended.

jaberdene

Re: Is it good news for all?

Post by jaberdene » Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:37 pm

Damanisshallo wrote:This certainly is a good news for many but the million dollar question is, if this rule is in retrospection or for the applications made after 10th April 2013?
I think its clearly said on page 23 of the guidance.

See below
The Immigration Rules were amended with effect from 1 October 2012. The changes affect applications which were made on or after 9 July 2012 and are decided on or after 1 October 2012.
If the continuous residence period includes periods of overstaying before further leave being granted before 1 October 2012, you may disregard these periods for indefinite leave to remain (ILR) provided the period does not exceed 28 days.

sheraz7
Respected Guru

Post by sheraz7 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:15 pm

Even before this guideline become more clearer in april 2013 the 28 days rules already exist. Despite under old guideline only 10 days single gap is allowed but still for 28 days a person is not counted as overstayer after its visa/section 3C expiry. However, thanks to UKBA to make it much clearer now.
Please donot send PM. Write in open forum to facilitate others too.
REGARDS