ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Got "Join EU Spouse" Visa C, what next?

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

BrusselsSprout
Newly Registered

Got "Join EU Spouse" Visa C, what next?

Post by BrusselsSprout » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:57 am

Hi,

I am a Belgian national currently living in Ireland.
My wife being non EU, we have applied for a Long Stay (type D) - Join EU spouse visa. We instead received a Short Stay (type C) Join EU spouse visa.

1. We have been told by the embassy that this was the new rule, we have even seen a document stating that: "All staff processing visas should note that we will no longer issue EUTR applicant D visas - valid for 6 months. From now on all approved applicants will be issued with a C single journey - Join Accompany EU Spouse."
The embassy staff said that it would not be a problem... but I am still kind of worried as all online documentation seem to state that to register at the GNIB for residence card, you need a type D visa... And that to extend the stay for more than 3 months, you also need a type D visa.
So my first question is if someone ever encountered this situation?

2. When she will fly here, we anyhow plan to go to GNIB to register and see what happens. Now to be a little prepared, does anyone know the procedure to follow to register at the GNIB?
Do we register right away with the treaty right EU1 form? http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Form%20E ... %20EU1.pdf
The problem of this form is that it seems that my wife would need a PPS number as well as some bills on her name here, which she will obviously not have right.
And regarding the PPS number, can we get a PPS number without having a GNIB card?
So can anyone explain a little of the process to normally follow when the non EU spouse arrives in Ireland on a "join EU spouse visa"?

Thanks and regards to all :)

IntegratedMigrant
Diamond Member

Post by IntegratedMigrant » Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:43 am

The embassy told you that is the new rule. I dont see why you're panicking so much over it. Present the GNIB with all documentation from the embassy stating that its the new rule and they'll let you register. But the GNIB should know that there is a new rule in regards to that as well.
I oppose stereotype, prejudice, xenophobe, judgmental, Ignorance, and beloved.

jeupsy

Post by jeupsy » Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:08 am

Some people have gotten C, others have gotten D. Don't worry it won't make any different to register.

When she goes through border control they might stamp her passport giving her 1 month to register (I think in theory as the spouse of an EU citizen they should exempt her from regisration in the first 3 months to allow for you guys to submit the form, but it doesn't seem o always be the case).

If you have all the documents ready to submit the EU1 form, you can do that straight away after she comes to Ireland and they should get back to you within a month with an acknowledgement letter which enables you and her to go register for free and get her a temporary Stamp 4 (allowing her to work and study here).
If you are not ready to submit the application when she arrives and you need a few weeks, in case they stamped her passport you might have to go to the GNIB and register before submitting the form, but I think in that case you will have to pay and and she won't be allowed to work or study until you submit the form (as I mentionned thy would most likely be wrong to request that, but if they do you probably don't want to play with fire). Then once you submi the form and get the acknowledgement letter you can go there again to get the Stamp 4 free of charge.

I am not 100% sure about the PPS number, but I think all she needs is a prof of address (a letter form you saying she is living at you place and a copy of a utility bill should do).

BrusselsSprout
Newly Registered

Post by BrusselsSprout » Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:07 pm

Hi,

Not panicking (yet! :p) but a few weeks back I talked to someone over the phone (from GNIB or citizen information - I can't really remember) who told me that the embassy gave the wrong visa type and that I should have received a visa D instead of a C. So it got me confused as I was hearing differently from what was told at the Irish embassy.

Jeupsy, thanks for all the useful information! I now know what to do next.

Cheers :)

jeupsy

Post by jeupsy » Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:58 pm

I think for EUTR applications they are supposed to give C visas as embassies are allowed to make the decision localy on a C visa (without sending the application to Dublin), whereas for D visas they have to submit it to the Dublin offices (and as EUTR application must be processed within 2-4 weeks, D visas would take too long).

But it probably depends on what the staff at the embassy decides to do. When my parner applied for a similar visa, she got a D one but the processign time was 2 and a half months.

Anyway, indeed there is nothing for you to wory about at this stage :-) (just get the documents ready before she comes if you can as it might save you time and money)

BrusselsSprout
Newly Registered

Post by BrusselsSprout » Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:18 pm

Hi jeupsy,

Regarding the document to provide for the EU 1 FORM, there seems to be 2 documents of "evidence of residency in the state" to provide:
- Letter from landlord/agency or rental contract
- Utility bills in the name of both the applicant and the EU citizen

Right now all I have is a rental contract on my name only. Do I need to change that and ask the agency to add my wife's name? Or ask them to write a letter stating that both me and my wife are staying at the apartment?

Regarding utility bills, she won't have any yet. But I have been said that we don't have to supply all documents the day we submit the form but can give them along the process. So I am thinking that she can give a mobile phone bill later on. Do you think that a mobile phone bill can be considered as utility as the service is unrelated to the address of residence?

Thanks again

EUsmileWEallsmile

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:01 pm

Notwithstanding anything that the Irish authorities request, it is always worth going back to the directive.

1. An EU citizen needs to provide evidence that they are living in the State legally (ie in compliance with the directive, eg working).

The non EU citizen is required to submit their passport, evidence of family link and evidence of 1 above.

It may indeed be easier if you have joint utility bills, tenancy, etc, but read the directive and know your rights.

jeupsy

Post by jeupsy » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:23 pm

Hi,

When we applied we provided a letter from the agency saying both of us were renting the apparetement, and they were ok with that (they also want PTRB registration letters, so you need to ask the agent/landlord to register your wife for that address in addition to you and the PTRB will send a letter with her name)

For the utility bills, the sentance on the form not perfectly clear, but we understood that we had to provide a household bill (electricity, phone, Internet, ...) with both names on it. It was easy to call UPC to add her name to my bill, and I guess ESB or other would be the same and will let you do it even before she arrives.

All the best!