ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

LASPO: When is Offenders Act 2012 is being implemented?

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

DrFixit

LASPO: When is Offenders Act 2012 is being implemented?

Post by DrFixit » Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:06 pm

I heard according to new LASPO bill, the conviction for non custodial sentences/fines will be considered spent after 1 year. Is there any news on when it is being implemented as it was likely to be commenced during spring and whether it will have any impact on UKBA?

alanwong

Re: LASPO: When is Offenders Act 2012 is being implemented?

Post by alanwong » Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:07 pm

DrFixit wrote:I heard according to new LASPO bill, the conviction for non custodial sentences/fines will be considered spent after 1 year. Is there any news on when it is being implemented as it was likely to be commenced during spring and whether it will have any impact on UKBA?
Have a look at this link
http://www.justice.gov.uk/youth-justice ... s-act-2012

DrFixit

Post by DrFixit » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:33 am

alanwong wrote:Have a look at this link
The provisions regarding the rehabilitation of offenders are not expected to come into effect until the end of 2013.
Thanks for the link, i think the information in it is for the youth, people under 18. It seems like Fines become unspent after 6 months for people under 18? but apparently it won't come into effect until the end of 2013?

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:58 pm

DrFixit wrote:
The provisions regarding the rehabilitation of offenders are not expected to come into effect until the end of 2013.
Thanks for the link, i think the information in it is for the youth, people under 18. It seems like Fines become unspent after 6 months for people under 18? but apparently it won't come into effect until the end of 2013?
See http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/201 ... /8/enacted
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

DrFixit

Post by DrFixit » Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:09 pm

D4109125 wrote:
DrFixit wrote:
I checked that, according to that fines will become spent after 1 year, but question is, when is this going to be implemented? it was supposed to be spring this year, but i don't see any news on implementation date?

Also i would like to know its impact on ILR

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:39 pm

DrFixit wrote:
D4109125 wrote:
DrFixit wrote:
I checked that, according to that fines will become spent after 1 year, but question is, when is this going to be implemented? it was supposed to be spring this year, but i don't see any news on implementation date?

Also i would like to know its impact on ILR
The amendments are expected to take effect and the end of the year. For the purpose of ILR and naturalisation they both have their own requirements for 'Good Character' that are outside the scope of the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act. Therefore, the amendments are unlikely to affect the way in which the current requirements are administered.
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

DrFixit

Post by DrFixit » Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:01 pm

D4109125 wrote:
The amendments are expected to take effect and the end of the year. For the purpose of ILR and naturalisation they both have their own requirements for 'Good Character' that are outside the scope of the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act. Therefore, the amendments are unlikely to affect the way in which the current requirements are administered.
Thanks for your input Amber, it seems like it shall be implemented in November. I am in country for 9 years and in August i will be able to apply for ILR on 10 years residency, too bad tomorrow I am having a court hearing regarding TV licence, if they fine me, there go my ILR :(

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:04 pm

DrFixit wrote:
D4109125 wrote:
Thanks for your input Amber, it seems like it shall be implemented in November. I am in country for 9 years and in August i will be able to apply for ILR on 10 years residency, too bad tomorrow I am having a court hearing regarding TV licence, if they fine me, there go my ILR :(
Well unless you have a defence you will face a fine or custody though the latter is unlikely for a first time offence. And yes if you receive a fine then you will have to wait 24 months until you can apply for ILR. You will just have to extend your visa or do another course until such times as you can apply for ILR.

zen135

Post by zen135 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:26 am

DrFixit wrote:
D4109125 wrote:
As a last ditch effort, I would advise you to call TV Licensing's Prosecutions Department on 03007906034, explain your difficult circumstances and offer to pay for the license in full or by direct debit if they agree to withdraw the case against you. I faced a similar issue around 2 years back and followed the same course.

Failing that, try to attend the court hearing and speak to their solicitor before the hearing and see if they can help. They tend to withdraw some cases before the hearing if you can reach an agreement.

DrFixit

Post by DrFixit » Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:17 am

zen135 wrote: As a last ditch effort, I would advise you to call TV Licensing's Prosecutions Department on 03007906034, explain your difficult circumstances and offer to pay for the license in full or by direct debit if they agree to withdraw the case against you. I faced a similar issue around 2 years back and followed the same course.

Failing that, try to attend the court hearing and speak to their solicitor before the hearing and see if they can help. They tend to withdraw some cases before the hearing if you can reach an agreement.
Thanks a lot Zen, i called TVL several times around Feb, they were just rude and did not want to back off, they simply wanted me to plead guilty. I went to court and pleaded not guilty, they gave me new date for the hearing, i am now going to court in 2 hours time, fingers crossed. I shall try to talk to their solicitor before hand if they allow me.

DrFixit

Post by DrFixit » Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:51 pm

Just to update all of you, i have won the case :) no more threats to my ILR 8)

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:08 pm

DrFixit wrote:Just to update all of you, i have won the case :) no more threats to my ILR 8)
Congratulations. May this ensure you pay your TV licence on time in the future.

DrFixit

Post by DrFixit » Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:57 pm

D4109125 wrote:
DrFixit wrote:Just to update all of you, i have won the case :) no more threats to my ILR 8)
No, i will make sure i don't open the door to them next time.

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Sat Apr 20, 2013 4:38 am

DrFixit wrote:
D4109125 wrote:
No, i will make sure i don't open the door to them next time.
:?