ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British Citizenship for a child

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

DHANYAVISU

British Citizenship for a child

Post by DHANYAVISU » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:35 am

Hi
Please clarify the following...
Myself,my wife and son granted ILR on May 2012. My son was born in India and he is 3 years.old now
I am due for applying British Citizenship next month. Can I apply British Citizenship for my son along with my application. (My wife is not applying for British Citizenship).

Thanks

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:45 am

ilrquest
Newly Registered

MN1 query

Post by ilrquest » Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:22 pm

Hi All,

I wonder if someone can answer my query.

My Wife, Daughter (4 months - Born in the UK) and I recently got our Tier 1 extension. We are all due for ILR in March 2015.

Whilst my wife and I will obviously apply for ILR in march 2015, I do not plan to submit my daughter's application as she can directly apply for registration using the MN1 form.

The question is, can we apply for my daughters MN1 application after her current leave has expired in march 2015.

This is because if my wife and I make a postal applications in March 2015 and assuming it only comes back in 6 months time, My daughter would have effectively overstayed her visa.

She would automatically qualify for citizenship after we become settled but would having overstayed her visa become a grounds for refusal of the MN1 application?

Apologies for the long post but I will appreciate any assistance. many thanks in advance.

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:02 pm

I feel I'm repeating myself...

ilrquest
Newly Registered

Thanks

Post by ilrquest » Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:09 am

Thank you for your reply jambo.

So the below Excerpt from the link you pasted must apply in my daughter's case:
"In the child was born in the UK before one parent had ILR/PR, then once one parent is granted ILR, the child is entitled register as BC under section 1(3) of the British Nationality Act irrespective of their immigration status.

Effectively, It would not matter if she has overstayed her visa by a few months. Also, there would be no need to include her current Bio Metric card with the MN1 application.

Could you please advise if my understanding is correct?

Jambo
Respected Guru

Re: Thanks

Post by Jambo » Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:20 am

ilrquest wrote:Thank you for your reply jambo.

So the below Excerpt from the link you pasted must apply in my daughter's case:
"In the child was born in the UK before one parent had ILR/PR, then once one parent is granted ILR, the child is entitled register as BC under section 1(3) of the British Nationality Act irrespective of their immigration status.

Effectively, It would not matter if she has overstayed her visa by a few months. Also, there would be no need to include her current Bio Metric card with the MN1 application.

Could you please advise if my understanding is correct?
Correct.

ilrquest
Newly Registered

Post by ilrquest » Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:07 pm

many thanks for your help.

DHANYAVISU

Post by DHANYAVISU » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:53 pm

Thanks for your reply. :)

DHANYAVISU

Post by DHANYAVISU » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:57 am

I am sorry to ask this question again;
In relation to my first post - Is it only possible to apply for my son's British citizenship after I obtaining my naturalisation?

Thanks

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:36 am

DHANYAVISU wrote:I am sorry to ask this question again;
In relation to my first post - Is it only possible to apply for my son's British citizenship after I obtaining my naturalisation?

Thanks
Yes.

Either with you or after you (I assume he lives in the UK).

DHANYAVISU

Post by DHANYAVISU » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:52 am

Hi Jambo

Thanks for your reply.

My son lives in UK. So as you said I can apply for his citizenship along with mine.

Thanks

DHANYAVISU

Post by DHANYAVISU » Sat May 04, 2013 4:31 pm

Please help me..

What should I fill in section 1.1 on MN1 form... it says " plase indicate the section of the British nationality act 1981 under which ou would like the application considered" (my son born in India 3 years ago; where both parents were holding Tier 2 visa at the time of birth; we got ILR one year back)

thanks

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sat May 04, 2013 4:41 pm

DHANYAVISU wrote:Please help me..

What should I fill in section 1.1 on MN1 form... it says " plase indicate the section of the British nationality act 1981 under which ou would like the application considered" (my son born in India 3 years ago; where both parents were holding Tier 2 visa at the time of birth; we got ILR one year back)

thanks
you will apply under section 3(1)
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

DHANYAVISU

Post by DHANYAVISU » Sun May 05, 2013 8:26 am

Thanks for your reply.