ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

UKBA receipt paying by debit card?

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

nafe12

UKBA receipt paying by debit card?

Post by nafe12 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:03 pm

I think I read somewhere that a payment receipt is given if you pay by credit card, but what about visa debit?

Thanks

reabs

Re: UKBA receipt paying by debit card?

Post by reabs » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:14 pm

nafe12 wrote:I think I read somewhere that a payment receipt is given if you pay by credit card, but what about visa debit?

Thanks
You should get a receipt for any payment you make to UKBA.

nafe12

Post by nafe12 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:24 pm

reabs wrote:You should get a receipt for any payment you make to UKBA.
Well, you definitely don't for Bankers Draft/cheque.

I was just curious about what the receipt looks like, if there is one for a debit card. I.e. does it just look like what comes out of the machine.
Or is it a more formal receipt - e.g. saying for a Tier 1 application or whatever

Need some sort of receipt to try and expense these fees :)

cs95tdg
Diamond Member

Post by cs95tdg » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:43 pm

The UKBA will issue a receipt confirming the application you have made and the corresponding payment. This is irrespective of the method of payment. If making an in person application, you will need to present that payment receipt along with your application at the next counter, where they will enter your details into their system.

Credit or Debit card payments for in-person applications are made via chip & pin, so you will receive a seperate receipt from the machine for that.

nafe12

Post by nafe12 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:17 pm

cs95tdg wrote:The UKBA will issue a receipt confirming the application you have made and the corresponding payment. This is irrespective of the method of payment.
In all of my previous postal applications, I have only received a letter that acknowledges that my application has been received and is being processed (with a ref number, etc).

But nothing was ever mentioned in the acknowledgement letter about payment, date, the amount, etc. I suppose things have changed..?

cs95tdg
Diamond Member

Post by cs95tdg » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:23 pm

My answer was related to in-person applications. It's true that for postal applications, you will not receive a receipt from the UKBA. If you make your payment through a Debit or Credit card in a postal application, the payment entry in your bank statement would have to be your proof.

KJdancer
Newly Registered

Post by KJdancer » Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:42 pm

nafe12 wrote:
reabs wrote:I was just curious about what the receipt looks like, if there is one for a debit card. I.e. does it just look like what comes out of the machine.
Or is it a more formal receipt - e.g. saying for a Tier 1 application or whatever

Need some sort of receipt to try and expense these fees :)
I paid at my in-person appointment in Croydon with a Visa debit card. The receipt is from the machine and just has the amount of the debit. I'm sure they can provide you something more formal if you ask (mark on the receipt what it was for or attach it to another sheet of paper).

JannoC
Newly Registered

Post by JannoC » Sat May 25, 2013 3:17 am

Last season, an antitrust settlement between merchants, big banks and credit card issuers Visa and MasterCard all but did away with charge card interchange fees, or the swipe fees retailers pay to the networks to process consumer payments. While retailers - and by extension, consumers - received $7.2 billion in temporary relief from interchange fees, there's a new fee that merchants can now charge customers who pay with charge cards, called a checkout fee. It might be applied to charge card transactions in 40 of the 50 U.S. states, and does not apply to debit card purchases. A personal finance can help you pay for your checkout fees.