ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

5 years for ILR rule implemented

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

ssi

Post by ssi » Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:34 pm

The full ILR 4-to-5 Judicial Review hearing has been listed for 5 & 6 June 2007. These dates are the first available for the case to be heard, the solicitors will however write to the Court to request for earlier dates given the urgency of the case.
http://vbsi.org.uk/index.php?mact=News, ... eturnid=15
http://vbsi.org.uk/index.php?mact=News, ... eturnid=15

Charity bank account details for donations will be published in a day or two. Although some of us will get ILR before a judicial review judgement is given, and the Home Office will surely appeal, should it be in our favour, we do need to make a stand and protest the horrific ways by which our lives are managed by the UK Government.

In Stephen Kong's words: "This is a big case and we have to fight for it with all of our blood, sweat and tears."

easylife4me

Post by easylife4me » Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:56 pm

thats it then...12 months of misery comes to end ... when most of us will get ilr..
THANKS

Rog
Member of Standing

Post by Rog » Fri Mar 09, 2007 6:01 am

A major positive development for doctors and gives us some hope

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/Indi ... 739126.cms

At the end of the article there is also a mention of transitionary arrangement for HSMP holders so that they can meet criteria for FLR. We don't know whether it refers to existing arrangement ie WP or is it a new development

Papafaith
Member of Standing

Post by Papafaith » Fri Mar 09, 2007 7:36 am

Welldone Stephen and your team. If the account can be set up about now it will be splendid, so that we can begin to send in are donations.
We will win this fight.
An eye for an eye will make the whole world blind.

V4VENDETTA
Newly Registered

ILR INCREASE!

Post by V4VENDETTA » Mon Mar 12, 2007 2:52 am

I'm just thinking about the effect our case could have on the ILR price increase.

Should we win, wouldn't that mean all those people that could have qualified to apply under the old rule, i.e those reaching 4 years between April 3rd 2006 - up until current, would be able to apply immediately for ILR? So why should they apply under the new price structure proposed for 1st April 2007? This case could have been heard earlier were it not for the time wasting tactics of the opposition solicitors, it should be brought to the judges attention that the proposed price increase is inevitably linked to our legal proceedings. I don't think the IND should charge people £950 for ILR if we win the case when they could have applied prior 1st April 2007 for £500 should we win this case. Am I onto something here?

tobiashomer

Post by tobiashomer » Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:04 am

yes, v4vendetta, I think you are onto something. Namely, wild unbridled optimism. Our chances of winning have not been taken on by Ladbrokes, but cannot be more than 1 in a million. Let's hope that we have the cost problem you mention, then we can deal with it.

depressed in N. London (just spent a fortune on three 1-year renewals after 4 years on HSMP)

ssi

Re: ILR INCREASE!

Post by ssi » Mon Mar 12, 2007 2:13 pm

V4VENDETTA wrote:Should we win, wouldn't that mean all those people that could have qualified to apply under the old rule, i.e those reaching 4 years between April 3rd 2006 - up until current, would be able to apply immediately for ILR?
http://vbsi.org.uk/index.php?page=stephen_kong
"With regard to the outcome of the judicial review application, I foresee two possibilities:-
i) If the High Court rules that the Home Secretary has no power to make retrospective rules, it is likely that the latter would appeal to the Court of Appeal. But, if the High Court also allows our application on other grounds (e.g. breach of legitimate expectation, breach of article 14 of and article 1 to the First Protocol to the ECHR), we should be able to apply for ILR immediately without awaiting for the outcome of the Home Office's appeal.
ii) If the High Court rules that the Home Secretary does have general power to make retrospective rules under the Immigration Act 1971 but the retrospective rules in question are unlawful on ground of breach of legitimate expecation or lack of justification, etc , then I would say that there is a serious possibility that he would not appeal against such a decision."
V4VENDETTA wrote: This case could have been heard earlier were it not for the time wasting tactics of the opposition solicitors,

Whatever personal issues between some solicitors, there was no opposition. Different law firms independently followed different routes. The delays are caused by the HO's repeatedly asking for additional time to file additional grounds of defence.
V4VENDETTA wrote: it should be brought to the judges attention that the proposed price increase is inevitably linked to our legal proceedings. I don't think the IND should charge people £950 for ILR if we win the case when they could have applied prior 1st April 2007 for £500 should we win this case. Am I onto something here?
As far as I know, the solicitors are well aware of it and they are also looking into other possible additional gounds for the forthsoming judicial review and a possiblity to challenge some of the more recent changes in a separate legal action. They and the volunteer research team are exremely busy at the moment while preparing additional grounds of claim for submission to the High Court - as you might know the HO was given time to file additional grounds of defence until the 23rd of March. What to put into the final document with the grounds of claim is up to the barrister and the solicitors - they will use their professional expertise to include what is possible in order to increase chances of success.

ssi

Post by ssi » Mon Mar 12, 2007 2:18 pm

tobiashomer wrote:Our chances of winning have not been taken on by Ladbrokes, but cannot be more than 1 in a million.
How do you do your maths?
I liked this better:
tobiashomer on Jun 29, 2006 wrote:I think they think we are stupid and few. Let's prove them wrong if we can!
http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewto ... 7684#47684

V4VENDETTA
Newly Registered

HOPE!

Post by V4VENDETTA » Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:09 pm

V4VENDETTA wrote:
This case could have been heard earlier were it not for the time wasting tactics of the opposition solicitors,

Sorry, I think that statement might have been misunderstood. I meant time wasting tactics of the HO solicitors who asked for more time at every given opportunity (opposition solicitors to our own), not our solicitors opposing each other! I have the utmost respect and admiration for Steven Kong and the countless people that have assisted him and congratulate them on there efforts thus far.

Tobiashomer, Like most on this board we have been affected by the changes of the HO. Although I sympathize with your situation we should not loose Hope! Our chances may be 1 in a million, probably a bit better then that I would think, but it’s still a chance. You have less chance of winning the lottery in the UK at 1 in 14 million, but every week you have millions playing it. Every now and again you get some factory worker, or lorry driver or milkman walking away with £5 million and it changes there lives. And what do most of us say, oh I wish I’d bought a ticket, well this case IS our ticket, our ticket to HOPE if nothing else.

Tomorrow marks a very important day to all of us on this board, it would mark a year on from March 13 2006 when the HO announced the changes to the 4-5 year rule! A whole year, a year which has changed so many lives, a year that has and made many of us doubt whether the system works, or why we bothered coming here. But, a year on and 1857 posts later we still have belief that something could happen. Sure, our case might not gain the result we all desire but at least we just didn’t sit still thinking What If, if VBSI and this site has done nothing else, it has at least given hope and belief to tens of thousands of people who have woken up each morning logging on to these sites to see if there were any advances since there last visit.

Were it not for this belief, this hope I’m sure the year would have seemed much longer then 365 days!

“Hope is like a road in the country; there was never a road, but when many people walk on it, the road comes into existenceâ€

timefactor
Member of Standing

Post by timefactor » Tue Mar 13, 2007 8:38 am

:lol:

a year gone! now back to prepration of ILR again, for those who missed very close. Good luck everyone

sid79

ILR application

Post by sid79 » Tue Mar 13, 2007 1:57 pm

Hi Guys,

Just a quick question about ILR time period,

I came in UK on a 2 years workpermit in SEP 2002, and just before a week of my leave expiry I got another job and my second workpermit got issued in OCT 2004, but when I applied for leave to remain they took abt 5 months to process my incountry application and granted leave to remain from MAR 2005 and onwards.

My question is that does that GAP affect my ILR time period , because I think I should be able to apply in SEP 2007.

Thanks in advance for your help.

gaurav

Post by gaurav » Tue Mar 13, 2007 11:44 pm

Posted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:09 pm Post subject: HOPE!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

V4VENDETTA wrote:
This case could have been heard earlier were it not for the time wasting tactics of the opposition solicitors,
Sorry, I think that statement might have been misunderstood. I meant time wasting tactics of the HO solicitors who asked for more time at every given opportunity (opposition solicitors to our own), not our solicitors opposing each other! I have the utmost respect and admiration for Steven Kong and the countless people that have assisted him and congratulate them on there efforts thus far.

Tobiashomer, Like most on this board we have been affected by the changes of the HO. Although I sympathize with your situation we should not loose Hope! Our chances may be 1 in a million, probably a bit better then that I would think, but it’s still a chance. You have less chance of winning the lottery in the UK at 1 in 14 million, but every week you have millions playing it. Every now and again you get some factory worker, or lorry driver or milkman walking away with £5 million and it changes there lives. And what do most of us say, oh I wish I’d bought a ticket, well this case IS our ticket, our ticket to HOPE if nothing else.

Tomorrow marks a very important day to all of us on this board, it would mark a year on from March 13 2006 when the HO announced the changes to the 4-5 year rule! A whole year, a year which has changed so many lives, a year that has and made many of us doubt whether the system works, or why we bothered coming here. But, a year on and 1857 posts later we still have belief that something could happen. Sure, our case might not gain the result we all desire but at least we just didn’t sit still thinking What If, if VBSI and this site has done nothing else, it has at least given hope and belief to tens of thousands of people who have woken up each morning logging on to these sites to see if there were any advances since there last visit.

Were it not for this belief, this hope I’m sure the year would have seemed much longer then 365 days!

“Hope is like a road in the country; there was never a road, but when many people walk on it, the road comes into existenceâ€

Papafaith
Member of Standing

Post by Papafaith » Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:44 am

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6448563.stm

If they dont want us, we will go where the do want us.

Papafaith
Member of Standing

Post by Papafaith » Tue Mar 20, 2007 6:09 pm

Steven, Moderators, i think if the account is opened now, it will allow people to make monthly contributions till the money is neeeded.
We dont have to go the fire brigade approach when we finally need the money.

ssi

Post by ssi » Wed Mar 28, 2007 11:39 am

Papafaith wrote:Steven, Moderators, i think if the account is opened now, it will allow people to make monthly contributions till the money is neeeded.
We dont have to go the fire brigade approach when we finally need the money.
Papafaith wrote:This forum is doing so well.

http://www.hsmpforum.com/forum/showthre ... 9#post1149

I know we already have a date for our Judicial review, What i dont understand is why the account is not yet opened? Is it Steven Kong that ought to open the account?
Or can we concentrate our contributions to HSMP forum? We need to start our donations.
Very well indeed!
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/Brit ... 817671.cms
http://www.earthtimes.org/articles/show/45011.html

You might remember that a few VBSI members and an MP met with Liam Byrne on 27 July 2006, see:
http://www.vbsi.org.uk/index.php?mact=N ... eturnid=15
The outcome is described here:
http://vbsi.org.uk/index.php?page=respo ... mps#ADvsLB

In the end of that meeting the Minister's response was very similar: "... will look into it ..."

It is very important to keep political pressure up in addition to legal actions - the HO should realise that these problems will not go away simply because of their delaying tactics to wear our opposition down.

Harvey Son & Filby have a charity account, but some technicalities have to be sorted out as receiving donations from the public is different from charging client fees. Please stand by.

anupvijay

Post by anupvijay » Thu Mar 29, 2007 11:41 am

Papafaith
Member of Standing

Post by Papafaith » Thu Mar 29, 2007 2:53 pm

badhorse

Post by badhorse » Tue Apr 03, 2007 2:11 pm

It is clear that the government once again is cheating.

This government is just like any other corrupted governments around the world: pretend to have a high moral ground on any issues unless they are caught!

There is no difference between any governments, democratic or not! The difference only exists in culture.

I am determined to stay in this country and see to the end of this matter.

jason_rency
Newly Registered

Timetable for new migrant curbs (BBC)

Post by jason_rency » Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:49 am

A new points-based system aimed at restricting immigration to the UK to those with skills in demand will start in the new year, it has been confirmed.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/6566453.stm

Rog
Member of Standing

Post by Rog » Wed Apr 18, 2007 8:34 pm

The quote of John Whittaker of UKIP at the end of the BBC article sums up the effectiveness of such measures

"But Mr Byrne's system will have no effect either on illegal immigrants or people coming here from the European Union."

In short it is only HSMP holders who will be targetted while the influx of East Europeans and illegals will continue unabated. They will keep ILR further and further away from HSMP holders.

tobiashomer

Post by tobiashomer » Fri Apr 20, 2007 5:29 am

I am not sure how to interpret this. Does it mean that not only new applicants, but existing ones will be subject to the new shortage-occupations-and-points-based scheme? Will they apply this not just at FLR, but ILR application time? If anyone has heard or understands anything about this please share it.

Girlie Girl
Newly Registered

Point based system

Post by Girlie Girl » Fri Apr 20, 2007 2:29 pm

ssi

Post by ssi » Thu May 17, 2007 8:52 pm

Those willing to support the ILR 4-to-5 legal action (http://basicpoll.com/result/23280/) financially are kindly invited to use the following bank account:

Harvey Son & Filby – Appeal Account
Bank: Lloyds TSB
Sort Code: 30-94-55
Account Number: 04839820

The terms of the appeal are available here: http://vbsi.org.uk/uploads/Docs/170507% ... Appeal.doc

VBSI Team
www.vbsi.org.uk

Papafaith
Member of Standing

Post by Papafaith » Fri May 18, 2007 12:03 pm

SSI, Isnt it possible for a link to be created on the VBSI site where we can make donations online with our credit cards (Like that of HSMP Forum).
Many people who dont operate online banking may not find the time to go into a branch to make the payment.
What do you think?

ssi

Post by ssi » Fri May 18, 2007 4:14 pm

I'm afraid it's not possible to pay with credit cards as our cardnet facility is to receive money for which we issue invoice.

Donors can either use internet banking, paying in at a local bank or sending a cheque to make donations.

Donors can send cheques but make sure write at the back of the cheque 'JR Appeal Account'. Cheques must be made payable to Harvey Son & Filby and can be sent to one of the following addresses:-

1. Harvey Son & Filby (Appeal Account)
Central House
1 Ballards Lane
London N3 1LQ

2. Harvey Son & Filby (Appeal Account)
231 Foxhall Road
Ipswich IP3 8LF

3. Harvey Son & Filby (Appeal Account)
1 Victoria Square
Birmingham
B1 1BD

Many thanks.