ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

visa and airport headache

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

jokanda
Newly Registered

visa and airport headache

Post by jokanda » Sat Apr 20, 2013 3:03 pm

:( hello everyone
i am a moroccan national, holding 5 years stamp4 eufam expire on 2016, thinking to go for family visit this june to morocco alone but unfortunatly direct flight to morocco are available only three months per year (sep, oct and nov) so i have to go for an indirect flight and i presume i will need a transit visa. which havn't clue how to apply for
any advice is appreciated and please share your experiance

IntegratedMigrant
Diamond Member

Post by IntegratedMigrant » Sat Apr 20, 2013 3:29 pm

I thought a transit visa is needed if only you'll have access to the country of your transit?

For e.g. If you are meant to travel to Morocco via France, you will not need a transit visa if you will stay in a designated place at the France airport and change flight that goes directly to Morocco?

I know so many visa transit nationals that never have to acquire a transit visa of any kind if they do exactly as I said above.
I oppose stereotype, prejudice, xenophobe, judgmental, Ignorance, and beloved.

jokanda
Newly Registered

Post by jokanda » Sat Apr 20, 2013 4:04 pm

because i never done that befor i dont want just buy ticket and head off to the airport. i hate the way when they ask you to wait in the side of not trusting you or not being sure of what they need to do
that is why i am looking for someone who done the same and share his/her experiance

IntegratedMigrant
Diamond Member

Post by IntegratedMigrant » Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:30 pm

jokanda wrote:because i never done that befor i dont want just buy ticket and head off to the airport. i hate the way when they ask you to wait in the side of not trusting you or not being sure of what they need to do
that is why i am looking for someone who done the same and share his/her experiance
As far as im concern thats how its done.

You do not need a transit visa if you are not stepping out of the airport. You can ring the airline you're about to take and ask them yourself

barnaby

Post by barnaby » Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:37 pm

IntegratedMigrant is right. My wife used to be in a similar situation, but travelled to her home country many times, changing flights in France, Netherlands, Turkey, etc. and never had any problem. The only risk is that, if your connecting flight is delayed or cancelled, you could be stuck on the airside of a strange airport for a long time.

EUsmileWEallsmile

Re: visa and airport headache

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:14 pm

jokanda wrote::( hello everyone
i am a moroccan national, holding 5 years stamp4 eufam expire on 2016, thinking to go for family visit this june to morocco alone but unfortunatly direct flight to morocco are available only three months per year (sep, oct and nov) so i have to go for an indirect flight and i presume i will need a transit visa. which havn't clue how to apply for
any advice is appreciated and please share your experiance
Certain nationals can be required to have transit visas irrespective as to whether they leave the airport or not.

For Schengen states, EU family members are except from this requirements (see visa code).

jokanda
Newly Registered

Post by jokanda » Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:25 pm

I remember I had a similar problem on the first time coming to ireland (bought separate tickets and didn't let me travel and was told had to buy connecting flight ticket.
Morocco-madrid-dublin (easyjet -ryanair ) which wasn't good but had to buy another ticket with connecting flight :morocco-frankfurt-dublin with lufthansa and was oky

adlexy

Re: visa and airport headache

Post by adlexy » Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:17 am

EUsmileWEallsmile wrote: Certain nationals can be required to have transit visas irrespective as to whether they leave the airport or not.

For Schengen states, EU family members are except from this requirements (see visa code).
EUsmileWEallsmile that is correct. Airside transit visa is required by some countries for passing through airports irrespective of whether you plan to go through passport control or not.

The OP may want to check with the airline and transiting country to confirm requirements.

EUsmileWEallsmile

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:36 pm

It's also worth considering what's considered transiting and what's not.

jokanda
Newly Registered

Post by jokanda » Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:33 pm

thank you guys for all the help

LouDublin
Newly Registered

Post by LouDublin » Wed May 08, 2013 9:29 pm

Hi, my husband is from morocco and travels with Airfrance. Dublin - Paris - Rabat all with Airfrance. He finds them the best. He has a morrocan passport and irish gnib card and has no issues travelling this way. He does not get a transit visa. If you need further information, let us know.

He finds transit through other countries/airlines difficult.

jokanda
Newly Registered

Post by jokanda » Wed May 08, 2013 11:07 pm

LouDublin wrote:Hi, my husband is from morocco and travels with Airfrance. Dublin - Paris - Rabat all with Airfrance. He finds them the best. He has a morrocan passport and irish gnib card and has no issues travelling this way. He does not get a transit visa. If you need further information, let us know.

Thank yu very much.that was very useful

IntegratedMigrant
Diamond Member

Post by IntegratedMigrant » Thu May 09, 2013 1:52 am

LouDublin wrote:Hi, my husband is from morocco and travels with Airfrance. Dublin - Paris - Rabat all with Airfrance. He finds them the best. He has a morrocan passport and irish gnib card and has no issues travelling this way. He does not get a transit visa. If you need further information, let us know.

I knew this has always been the fact.

acme4242

Post by acme4242 » Thu May 09, 2013 11:02 am

seems you are fine, even to visit France, nevermind transit.
just checking TIMATIC

http://www.skyteam.com/en/your-trip/Ser ... nd-Health/

gives something I never seen before
National Morocco (MA) /Residence Ireland (Rep.) (IE)
Destination France (FR)

France (FR)
Visa required, except for A max. stay of 3 months:
- for those, irrespective of nationality, holding family
member" residence permit issued by Ireland (Rep.) to a
family member of an EEA national or national
of Switzerland, provided travelling with or travelling to
join the EEA national or national of Switzerland;

- for holders of Residence Permit, valid for a year or
longer, issued by Ireland (Rep.) to nationals of Morocco;
Nationals of Morocco don't need a Schengen Visa to visit France if they have an Irish Residence Permit, valid for a year or longer.

Whereas if you put in destination Netherlands, I don't see this exemption.

confusing.. is there something special with France, or is it a fault in TIMATIC

IntegratedMigrant
Diamond Member

Post by IntegratedMigrant » Thu May 09, 2013 3:23 pm

acme4242 wrote:Nationals of Morocco don't need a Schengen Visa to visit France if they have an Irish Residence Permit, valid for a year or longer.

Whereas if you put in destination Netherlands, I don't see this exemption.

confusing.. is there something special with France, or is it a fault in TIMATIC
Could you show me the link where it says that as I am skeptic about this information.

Ireland is not a Schengen state and Moroccan Nationals must require a Visa to visit France regardless of their residence status in Ireland.

dalebutt

Post by dalebutt » Thu May 09, 2013 10:18 pm

IntegratedMigrant wrote: Could you show me the link where it says that as I am skeptic about this information.

Ireland is not a Schengen state and Moroccan Nationals must require a Visa to visit France regardless of their residence status in Ireland.
Well some certain people can. Holders of stamp4eufam can travel to Schengen member states including France without the need for a visa

acme4242

Post by acme4242 » Thu May 09, 2013 11:55 pm

IntegratedMigrant wrote:
Could you show me the link where it says that as I am skeptic about this information.

Use the TIMATIC link from skyteam
http://www.skyteam.com/en/your-trip/Ser ... nd-Health/

here is the result l

http://www.timaticweb.com/cgi-bin/tim_w ... er=SKYWEB1

@ dalebutt, there are 2 exemptions
first is 4EUfam holders
second is Residence Permit, valid for a year or longer, issued by Ireland (Rep.)

Its the second exemption that is new to me, and its inconsistent, because I don't see it if I change destination to say Netherlands.
Maybe its just a mistake in TIMATIC, an error. I am also skeptic, I never seen this before.

But regardless, even if its a mistake, the OP is still ok in transit.
National Morocco (MA) /Residence Ireland (Rep.) (IE)
Destination France (FR)

France (FR)
Visa required, except for A max. stay of 3 months:

- for those, irrespective of nationality, holding family
member" residence permit issued by Ireland (Rep.) to a
family member of an EEA national or national
of Switzerland, provided travelling with or travelling to
join the EEA national or national of Switzerland;

- for holders of Residence Permit, valid for a year or
longer, issued by Ireland (Rep.) to nationals of Morocco;

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru
Location: does not matter if you are with your EEA family member

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Sat May 18, 2013 9:59 am

jokanda: will you be travelling alone, or with you EU citizen spouse?