ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

OCI Application - HCI London vs CGI Birmingham

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

RRS
Newly Registered

OCI Application - HCI London vs CGI Birmingham

Post by RRS » Sat Apr 20, 2013 3:47 pm

Hi Experts,

We are planning to apply for OCI. I have seen timelines on OCI that applied London or Birmingham. I would like to know which one process the application faster either HCI London or CGI Birmingham?

Huge thanks for your replies.

RRS.

aryaman
Newly Registered

Re: OCI Application - HCI London vs CGI Birmingham

Post by aryaman » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:44 am

RRS wrote:Hi Experts,

We are planning to apply for OCI. I have seen timelines on OCI that applied London or Birmingham. I would like to know which one process the application faster either HCI London or CGI Birmingham?

RRS.
HCI London will be the faster route. As far as I know, applications submitted at CGI Birmingham are eventually routed to London.

mrproblem

Post by mrproblem » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:00 pm

RRS.
I understand that there is no option as you need to verify which jurisdiction you fall under and apply in that. If you fall under Birmingham jurisdiction you cannot apply in London. Sorry, that is only my understanding. Correct me if I am wrong

aryaman
Newly Registered

Post by aryaman » Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:15 pm

mrproblem wrote:

RRS.
I understand that there is no option as you need to verify which jurisdiction you fall under and apply in that. If you fall under Birmingham jurisdiction you cannot apply in London. Sorry, that is only my understanding. Correct me if I am wrong
You are wrong. Jurisdiction applies only to make life easier by enabling oneself to submit applications through the nearest consulate. It does not disbar anyone from applying in person at HCI London.
As mentioned earlier, irrespective of which consulate you submit, it is processed through London and so one might as well save some time by directly presenting an application at HCI London.

destiniation_london

Post by destiniation_london » Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:59 pm

aryaman wrote:
You are wrong. Jurisdiction applies only to make life easier by enabling oneself to submit applications through the nearest consulate. It does not disbar anyone from applying in person at HCI London.
As mentioned earlier, irrespective of which consulate you submit, it is processed through London and so one might as well save some time by directly presenting an application at HCI London.
Nope mate, you cannot submit Birmingham applications to HCI london, they will not accept it.

Below is the snippet from 'Important clarification/Information' section from OCI page on HCI london website at http://hcilondon.in/oci.html
GBRB (Birmingham) application/s will not be accepted in HCI, London.

aryaman
Newly Registered

Post by aryaman » Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:26 pm

destiniation_london wrote:
aryaman wrote:
Nope mate, you cannot submit Birmingham applications to HCI london, they will not accept it.

Below is the snippet from 'Important clarification/Information' section from OCI page on HCI london website at http://hcilondon.in/oci.html
GBRB (Birmingham) application/s will not be accepted in HCI, London.
I'm not wrong and here is why:

While filling in PART A of the online application form, if one selects "UK-Birmingham" on the "Place of Submission" field, the application cannot be submitted at HCI London.The clarification "GBRB (Birmingham application will not be accepted in HCI London" is meant for such applicants.

However if any resident within the jurisdiction of CGI Birmingham selects the "UK-London" office on PART A of the online OCI application form, such applications will be accepted and processed at HCI London. Those applications will have a reference code starting with "GBRLI".

mrproblem

Post by mrproblem » Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:15 pm

aryaman wrote:
mrproblem wrote:

RRS.
Once I was told by CGI Birmingham that I cannot apply in HCI London if I am based in Birmingham, but no one could give 100%. My understanding is until and unless you try, you wont get the answer and I never want to take that risk of travelling all the way to London just to find that I cannot apply there.

Mauser1905
Member of Standing

Post by Mauser1905 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:35 pm

I'm not wrong and here is why:

While filling in PART A of the online application form, if one selects "UK-Birmingham" on the "Place of Submission" field, the application cannot be submitted at HCI London.The clarification "GBRB (Birmingham application will not be accepted in HCI London" is meant for such applicants.

However if any resident within the jurisdiction of CGI Birmingham selects the "UK-London" office on PART A of the online OCI application form, such applications will be accepted and processed at HCI London. Those applications will have a reference code starting with "GBRLI".[/quote]

You are still wrong, as finding loophole without proven track record doesnt substantiate as acceptable policy from HCI/CGI.

On the most important note this is how abuse starts and consequently HCI/CGI has to put strict restrictions or implement those jurisdictions very rigidly.

In the first instance these jurisdictions are made with reason. Noting HCI turn around time for OCI is quick doesnt mean people from all other jurisdictions start applying there and abuse the existing system.

I would never publicly promote anything which in principle promotes abuse of the system, neitehr should anyone to be fair to others in the system.

And for the record I have not applied to HCI and its taken more than 5+ months. By that way I deserve to be moaning about the system CGI has, but NOT to abuse it or promote abusing it.

Regards.

Mauser1905
Member of Standing

Post by Mauser1905 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:43 pm

]

You seem to know the reason why jurisdictions exist, officially?

Does that means CGI Edinburgh send OCI application to HCI to process it, and CGI Edinburgh takes 6 months and HCI london still tops the mark on time? As far as I understand individual CGI's process applications on their own. To support this check individual CGI's track record on processing times. Unless, offcourse you have insider information to which poor souls personally applying and sharing do not have clue of!

Regards

aryaman
Newly Registered

Post by aryaman » Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:55 am

Firstly I wasn't promoting any abuse of a system. The information that I posted earlier was primarily meant to offer a practical solution to the Gentleman, who seemed to be in a hurry to have his application processed.

Consular Jurisdictions are there for a reason. It is used to clearly demarcate responsibility so that no particular embassy within a country gets flooded with a disproportionate number of applications. However in practice, the strictness of consular jurisdiction is usually dependent on individual consulates. Some embassies simply do not accept applications that do not fall under its jurisdiction and make that quite explicitly clear while there are others that are more relaxed. In my limited experience, the process mentioned earlier gets applications accepted at HCI London. However in an ideal world when potential applicants are not particularly time sensitive, they should apply to the consulate closest to their residence.

Potential for any abuse of the system is limited as there is a clear economic cost involved in applying to an embassy much further away from one's residence. In any case as long as one follows the law, perceptions on what one considers a loophole or not, are irrelevant.