ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR- New English Language Requirement for Dependants OCT2013

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

am1234

ILR- New English Language Requirement for Dependants OCT2013

Post by am1234 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:27 am

Hi All.
Myself and My wife will be applying for ILR in Nov 2013. I have satisfied my english language requirement in Tier1 extention application but there was no need previously for dependants to satisfy english laguage requirement(Dec 2011).
I now understand from OCT 2013 both the main applicant and dependant needs to satisfy both life in the UK test and english language requirements to qualify for ILR. Could somebody please clarify this? Many thanks

ukba2536

Post by ukba2536 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:24 pm

rakeysh.patel
Diamond Member

Post by rakeysh.patel » Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:25 pm

One might need a degree to keep up a pace with changing immigration laws. I am in similar position as OP, have ILR due in Feb 14. I'm on T1 (Eng language requirement proven with T1 application as having/holding engg degree taught in English). However, my spouse ("dependent") does not hold any formal qualification for english language. Now, reading through the page (via link above), I am bit confused. Would Life in the UK test suffice for my partner to prove her knowledge of English? For cry out loud, she is an architect and knows how to speak, read and write English. It is just waste of time and money for a piece of paper to notarize that !!!
Someone please guide?
Ta
An [Expensive] Immigrant journey has ended 19/08/2015. Good luck to you all out there...

rajesh9pl
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by rajesh9pl » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:53 pm

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... uirements1

From 28 October 2013, there will be two parts to the knowledge of language and life requirement, both of which must be met by all applicants for settlement unless the individual is exempt. Applicants will be required to:
pass the Life in the UK test; and
to have a speaking and listening qualification in English at B1 CEFR or higher, or its equivalent.

English language qualifications

A range of English language qualifications will be accepted as evidence that an applicant has met the B1 level speaking and listening requirements.

These include:
Qualifications covering speaking and listening at B1 or above from the Home Office's Secure English Language Test (SELT) list.
ESOL qualifications at entry level 3 or level 1 or level 2, including speaking and listening, that have been regulated by the Office of Qualifications and Examinations Regulation (Ofqual). The qualification must be listed as an ESOL qualification on the Ofqual Register of Regulated Qualifications and must have been taken in England, Wales or Northern Ireland.
A National Qualification in ESOL at Scottish Qualifications Framework levels 4, 5 or 6, awarded by the Scottish Qualifications Authority and taken in Scotland.

rakeysh.patel
Diamond Member

Post by rakeysh.patel » Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:45 pm

Dare I say, ridiculous !!!
An [Expensive] Immigrant journey has ended 19/08/2015. Good luck to you all out there...

pegakrishna

Post by pegakrishna » Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:47 pm

If my wife has a degree taught in english and met level B1 or above. Is it Suffice ??

Please confirm

rakeysh.patel
Diamond Member

Post by rakeysh.patel » Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:49 pm

pegakrishna wrote:If my wife has a degree taught in english and met level B1 or above. Is it Suffice ??

Please confirm
Be so kind to read it through. You and your partner must have both exams passed. Degree taught in English will not be enough.

pegakrishna

Post by pegakrishna » Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:39 pm

Based on shared PDF.. I have found below

The following groups are considered automatically to meet the English language component of the KoLL requirement and will not be required to show a formal speaking and listening qualification:
• Nationals of majority English speaking countries (Annex A).
• Those who have obtained a degree taught in English.
Both of these groups will, however, be required to pass the Life in the UK test to demonstrate their knowledge of life in the UK.

ryan2020
- thin ice -
Pakistan

Post by ryan2020 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:58 pm

HI all,

My wife has completed A1 course when she applied for FLR(M)

Do she need to do B1 course now ???????/

please advice please..

am1234

Post by am1234 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:11 am

pegakrishna wrote:Based on shared PDF.. I have found below

The following groups are considered automatically to meet the English language component of the KoLL requirement and will not be required to show a formal speaking and listening qualification:
Both of these groups will, however, be required to pass the Life in the UK test to demonstrate their knowledge of life in the UK.
}}

If my dependant has got degree taught in english. what proof do we need to submit to home office. Possible options I can think of is
1. Letter from university stating degree was taught in english
2. UK NARIC english language assesment?

Many thanks

pegakrishna

Post by pegakrishna » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:29 am

am1234 wrote:

}}

If my dependant has got degree taught in english. what proof do we need to submit to home office. Possible options I can think of is

Many thanks
Yes, I think the same. my wife got both docs and should be suffice to meet KoLL requirement.

Please correct me if I'm wrong

am1234

Post by am1234 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:37 am

pegakrishna wrote:
am1234 wrote:

}}

Many thanks
Yes, I think the same. my wife got both docs and should be suffice to meet KoLL requirement.

i couldnt see any mention of UKNARIC assesment or letter from university in statement of intent. could you?

T1ilr

Post by T1ilr » Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:10 pm

No where is it mentioned that all ILR applicants after Oct 2013 that ALL applicants should clear English exam. On the contrary, UKBA document suggests that (as an example) that those who've proved Eng language skills in their initial application need not have to prove again. The results are not clear yet.

If common sense prevails, I am confident UKBA would not insist English language exam for applicants who've already proven as language skills are for life. Please refrain from misleading as if the rules are already in place.

BTW, I have scored 7.5 of 9 in IELTS and if not anything, my English language skill has become far better than what it used to be- having lived in UK for the past 5 years. So, lets wait and see what's in store rather than assuming.

T1ilr

Post by T1ilr » Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:14 pm

The below paragraph says it all in page number 5 in the "statement of intent".

English Language Qualifications
We will accept a range of English language qualifications as evidence that an applicant has
met the requirement to hold a B1 level speaking and listening qualification. This will help ensure that all those needing to take a test will be able to find one suitable for their needs and, so far
as possible, that no one who already has an English language qualification at B1 or above will
be required to take another one. So, [u]for example, a person applying for settlement as a Tier 2 (General) migrant who has already demonstrated a knowledge of English equivalent to B1 level in order to qualify for entry clearance, will not have to take a further test at settlement stage.[/u]

Pqek

Post by Pqek » Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:47 pm

T1ilr wrote:The below paragraph says it all in page number 5 in the "statement of intent".

English Language Qualifications
We will accept a range of English language qualifications as evidence that an applicant has
met the requirement to hold a B1 level speaking and listening qualification. This will help ensure that all those needing to take a test will be able to find one suitable for their needs and, so far
as possible, that no one who already has an English language qualification at B1 or above will
be required to take another one. So, [u]for example, a person applying for settlement as a Tier 2 (General) migrant who has already demonstrated a knowledge of English equivalent to B1 level in order to qualify for entry clearance, will not have to take a further test at settlement stage.[/u]
That looks clear for settlement. Any thoughts for BC?

raat123
Newly Registered

Post by raat123 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:32 pm

Hi

i am a bit confused with how to prove the new requirements for english ..
My wife has

1. Entry Level Certificates in ESOL Skills for Life ( speaking & Listening )
entry 1.
2. Writing entry 1

the certificate has Ofqual stamp onit

is this enough or she needs to do Entry level 2 and 3

thanks in advance

fslateef

Post by fslateef » Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:40 pm

I have a question:

-- Do main applicant who is already in UK under Tier-1 General needs to take English language test ? Although already proved English language requirement during initial application ? I understand that LIUK needs to be done but confused about English level for main applicant of T1G ?

Thanks in advance.

deleted_user

Post by deleted_user » Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:54 pm

fslateef wrote:Do main applicant who is already in UK under Tier-1 General needs to take English language test ? Although already proved English language requirement during initial application ?
If it was proved that your English equivalent to B1 level or above during your initial application, then no need to show again.

fslateef

Post by fslateef » Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:59 pm

dimension7 wrote:
fslateef wrote:Do main applicant who is already in UK under Tier-1 General needs to take English language test ? Although already proved English language requirement during initial application ?
If it was proved that your English equivalent to B1 level during your initial application, then no need to show again.
I don't have idea about B1 level equivalent as I initially applied under T1G entry-clearance with HSMP approval letter (got against degree taught in English) thus claiming points for English language requirement.

Now I am not sure that is this points main applicant of T1G claimed during initial application is equivalent to B1 level or not ?

deleted_user

Post by deleted_user » Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:42 pm

got against degree taught in English
So you have a degree taught in English? Please read the statement of intent pdf page 6 carefully and see if it helps.

raat123
Newly Registered

Post by raat123 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:55 pm

can any member please answer my question

deleted_user

Post by deleted_user » Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:03 pm

raat123 wrote:1. Entry Level Certificates in ESOL Skills for Life ( speaking & Listening )
entry 1.
2. Writing entry 1

the certificate has Ofqual stamp onit

is this enough or she needs to do Entry level 2 and 3
Page 6 of the statement of intent says:
The following qualifications will be accepted:
Qualifications in English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) at Entry level 3, Level 1 or
Level 2, that include speaking and listening and that have been regulated by the Office of
Qualifications and Examinations Regulation (Ofqual)
. The qualification must be listed as an ESOL
qualification on the Ofqual Register of Regulated Qualifications and have been taken in England,
Wales or Northern Ireland. The Ofqual register is available at: http://register.ofqual.gov.uk/2

am1234

Post by am1234 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:42 pm

am1234 wrote:
pegakrishna wrote:
am1234 wrote:

}}

Many thanks

i couldnt see any mention of UKNARIC assesment or letter from university in statement of intent. could you?
I couldnt see the mention of UKNARIC assessment but if you have degree taught in elglisg say in india they will verify in assessment that it is at C1 level. Now the new requirement is minimum of B1. Therefore as its above B1 hence i presume it qualifies in english laguage assement.

Others please note if are main applicant and have already proved your requirements in intial application you do not need to prove it again. This only applies(in statement of intent) for dependants who had been approved Tier 1 dependant and need to apply for ILR. Please also note that dependants did not have to prove english language assement previously.
Hope it clarifies everybody.

Somudro
Member of Standing

Post by Somudro » Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:46 pm

Others please note if are main applicant and have already proved your requirements in intial application you do not need to prove it again. This only applies(in statement of intent) for dependants who had been approved Tier 1 dependant and need to apply for ILR. Please also note that dependants did not have to prove english language assement previously.
Hope it clarifies everybody.

I am not clear of these lines? Someone please explain it?

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:02 pm

am1234 wrote:Dear All,

I am appying for ILR in 2 weeks time and have noticed that new forms are out today. Has anybody noticed any significant changes to the form and guidance notes? I am aware of the new English Language requirements.

Thanks in Advance
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.