ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Passport application

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Marco 72
Diamond Member

Passport application

Post by Marco 72 » Wed Apr 04, 2007 12:02 am

Is there a way for me to apply for my first British passport which doesn't involve having to send in the original of my naturalisation certificate, or my previous passport for that matter?

tekaweni

Post by tekaweni » Wed Apr 04, 2007 1:40 am

Nope
If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always gotten

Marco 72
Diamond Member

Post by Marco 72 » Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:50 am

Thanks. Do you think the documents are less likely to get lost if I use the passport office rather than the "check and send" service?

tekaweni

Post by tekaweni » Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:19 am

Using either would still mean the documents are sent away to Passport Services so I think they are probably equally secure.

Just make sure you have photocopies of everything before you put it in their hands!
If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always gotten

Dawie
Diamond Member

Post by Dawie » Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:24 am

Marco, I had exactly the same worries as you! In the end I went for the 1 week fast track service at the Passport office. There was absolutely no way they would process my passport without the originals of everything.
In a few years time we'll look back on immigration control like we look back on American prohibition in the thirties - futile and counter-productive.

Marco 72
Diamond Member

Post by Marco 72 » Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:35 am

Thanks for your replies! Dawie, I take it you had no problems getting your documents back? Did they use special delivery to send them? I wonder why they can't make certified copies, like the NCS does.

Dawie
Diamond Member

Post by Dawie » Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:41 am

Yes, they delivered them back to me by "secure" delivery through a special courier company they use for passport deliveries.

What really upsets me though is that for first-time passport applications they will ONLY return the new passport and supporting documents to you by courier company. There is absolutely no option for you to collect the documents personally from the Passport office, despite them losing thousands of documents every year.

When I received my naturalisation certificate back it had been folded and was looking a little worse for wear compared to when I had given it to them.
In a few years time we'll look back on immigration control like we look back on American prohibition in the thirties - futile and counter-productive.

Khurram

Post by Khurram » Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:55 am

I think you should be able to request the Passport Office to send your originals back through Special Delivery. Just buy one of the pre-paid Special Delivery envelopes (with a higher level of compensation i.e. upto £1000 or £2500) from the Post Office and hand it in with your application. And incase of an eventuality of the documents getting lost, atleast you can be assured that all the expenses incurred in having a new passport made would be covered! (mind you ... it could be quite a costly affair for some nationalities)

Regards

mahil_2000

Post by mahil_2000 » Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:33 pm

My supporting docs were sent by 2nd class post!

1963British

If outside the UK

Post by 1963British » Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:38 pm

If you are in the United States, you can get a certified copy of your Registration or Naturalization Certificate made at one of the Consulates. You need an appointment and it is about $70.00 (US).

You can then send that to the British Embassy in Washington where they issue British passports.

That may help a few reading this thread.