ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILE Still Available w/Planning

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

1963British

ILE Still Available w/Planning

Post by 1963British » Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:38 am

I just completed reading the new immigration rules and the "four year marriage" concession is still available for entry clearance applications after 2 April 2007.

The additional "condition" from the prior conditions, is that in order to be eligible for ILE you need to have passed the "Life in the UK" test.

In light of the "new" application fees with the ILR fee now £900 for the "walk in application" in addition to the two year waiting inconvenience, it would appear to be cost effective for a spouse to first travel to the UK for a few days, take the test and then apply for ILE from their home country.

Naturally, you would need to phone ahead and schedule an appointment that would coincide with the planned visit. It would appear that scheduling an appointment from overseas should not be a "problem" since ILE is available in the new regulations with a passing score and ILE is only available from overseas. I believe the test center phone numbers are available online.

From many parts of the USA, it is very easy to obtain round trip airfare to the UK for less than £200. Add in the cost of a hotel and transfers, it would still be more economical to take the test and then return home and apply.

It appears that for the £900 in savings, you could pay for a rather nice holiday w/partner to the UK in order to take the test. Plus there is the added benefit of not having to wait 2 years for ILR on initial entry and worrying about the application process.

While I admit this may not work for many, especially if English is not a primary language, the study guide is available online and there may be some who can avail themselves of this provision.

Any comments from Senior Members are appreciated. I hope this post proves useful.

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Thu Apr 05, 2007 9:42 am

My first reaction on reading the above post was ..... no, that cannot be right .... they announced that ILE would be disappearing as from 02.04.07!

However on reading the revised immigration rules, yes, there it is! Part of para 281 reads :-
(i) (a) the applicant is married to or the civil partner of a person present and settled in the United Kingdom or who is on the same occasion being admitted for settlement; or

(b)(i) the applicant is married to or the civil partner of a person who has a right of abode in the United Kingdom or indefinite leave to enter or remain in the United Kingdom and is on the same occasion seeking admission to the United Kingdom for the purposes of settlement and the parties were married or formed a civil partnership at least 4 years ago, since which time they have been living together outside the United Kingdom; and

(b)(ii) the applicant has sufficient knowledge of the English language and sufficient knowledge about life in the United Kingdom, unless he is under the age of 18 or aged 65 or over at the time he makes his application; and
Well spotted 1963British! Of course it would only be as easy as you suggest for non-visa nationals. Those who are visa nationals would still need to get some sort of visa to enter the UK, in order to take the Citizenship Test, and language problems might mean that in reality there is no early prospect of passing the test.
John