ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Shengen countries travel right

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

enigma
Newly Registered

Shengen countries travel right

Post by enigma » Tue Apr 03, 2007 5:43 pm

Hello everyone.
I am a chinese with a work permit visa in Uk since 3 month. I am wondering if my UK work visa gives me the right to travel in the other European countries (Shengen countries). I know UK is not a shengen member. Anyone could give me a clue or you may have already encountred this problem before?
thank you so much :D

olisun
Diamond Member

Re: Shengen countries travel right

Post by olisun » Tue Apr 03, 2007 7:23 pm

enigma wrote:Hello everyone.
I am a chinese with a work permit visa in Uk since 3 month. I am wondering if my UK work visa gives me the right to travel in the other European countries (Shengen countries). I know UK is not a shengen member. Anyone could give me a clue or you may have already encountred this problem before?
thank you so much :D
U will need a visa to travel to the other EU countries and I wouldn't call it a "right"

sakura
Diamond Member

Post by sakura » Tue Apr 03, 2007 7:36 pm

Enigma,

A few things;
1. Which country/countries are you planning on visiting?
2. How long is your work permit valid for?
3. When were you planning on travelling?

You will need a visa for all EU countries as a Chinese national, since the UK is not a Shengen member. Before it used to take up to 2 weeks for some countries to issue a visa to a Chinese national (wonder why... :lol: ), but maybe they have changed this-check the country's embassy website for details on what to submit.

enigma
Newly Registered

Post by enigma » Wed Apr 04, 2007 2:55 pm

Hello, thank you for your answers
I want to go to France.
And my work permit valid for 5 years
Since I was student in France, I still have a student resident card valid until August.
I don't know if I could go back to France with this card

sakura
Diamond Member

Post by sakura » Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:21 pm

Hmm...I'd suggest you contact the French Embassy to find out if you can still use your student residence card (what did you study? :lol: ) to travel. Just check to make sure it is allowed, because they might tell you it is invalid and you'd need a tourist visa.

Nice for you to get a WP valid for 5 full years...

enigma
Newly Registered

Post by enigma » Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:01 am

thank you for your advice.
I have a major in management. My employer just proposed me a work permit. And I even did not know it is 5 years.
I feel definitly very lucky

tekaweni

Post by tekaweni » Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:11 am

Indeed you are, a 5 year work permit will carry you all the way to ILR.
If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always gotten

MarioSA

Post by MarioSA » Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:43 am

Only if the government does pull another fast one and extend the time it takes to be eligable for ILR.

enigma
Newly Registered

Post by enigma » Thu Apr 05, 2007 3:34 pm

I have no idea how long I will stay in England. The nationality does not interest me at the moment. Thank you for your information anyway

bani

Post by bani » Thu Apr 05, 2007 6:41 pm

sakura wrote:Hmm...I'd suggest you contact the French Embassy to find out if you can still use your student residence card (what did you study? :lol: ) to travel. Just check to make sure it is allowed, because they might tell you it is invalid and you'd need a tourist visa.

Nice for you to get a WP valid for 5 full years...
I agree, the French embassy is good at answering emails about visas (usually answer the next day). Their address - Visas.LONDRES-FSLT@diplomatie.gouv.fr