ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR postal applications (excluding 10/14 yr.)

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

chandu2004

Post by chandu2004 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:54 pm

hi varun

yes if u receive ilr tomorrow then yes you have lost 7 months to apply for citizenship. unfortunately i found out about this couple of days back.

did u call ukba and find out why is it taking so long for them to make a decision.

ThanQ

chandu

go2khurram
Member of Standing

Re: What would be date on ILR acceptance.

Post by go2khurram » Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:58 pm

varundhyani wrote:Dear all,

I need information from those candidates who have already received ILR. May I know what date they are granted ILR i.e choose among the following:
___Is it the date when your date of expiry of last visa extension?
----Is is the date when they posted the ILR acceptance letter?
___ Or is it some other date?

I heard that post 1 yr from the date one gets ILR, one can apply for Citizenship. So the date on which ILR awarded becomes critical that way.

Particularly for people like me who submitted ILR application on 10th September 2012, had visa expiring on 8th Oct 2012 and have not received ILR yet even after 7 m onths.

If I get the ILR, say for hypothetical case, tomorrow with ILR date of tommorow would mean I have lost 7 months of time in applying for Citizenship. Or in other words, the delay in applying for date for citizenship.

If anybody knows on this, do please reply to my thread.

Regards

Varun Dhyani
Unfortunately You must be free from immigration time restrictions when you apply for naturalisation. Unless you are married to or the civil partner of a British citizen, you should have been free from immigration time restrictions during the last 12 months of the residential qualifying period.

Source : http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/briti ... uirements/

I hope this will clear the confusion.

mike_k

Post by mike_k » Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:55 pm

Hi there, I believe there that if you are eventually granted ILR and that the process took longer than three months then you can apply 15 months after the date of your application for ILR (I assume this starts from the date on the letter of acknowledgement from the UKBA). See the ref. below (7.5 part g).

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... iew=Binary

According to this ref. this rule would appear to supercede the '12 month after gaining ILR rule'. However, I haven't actually been able to find an example of someone successfully using this - does anybody have any experience? Grateful for a response.

go2khurram
Member of Standing

Post by go2khurram » Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:06 pm

mike_k wrote:Hi there, I believe there that if you are eventually granted ILR and that the process took longer than three months then you can apply 15 months after the date of your application for ILR (I assume this starts from the date on the letter of acknowledgement from the UKBA). See the ref. below (7.5 part g).

According to this ref. this rule would appear to supercede the '12 month after gaining ILR rule'. However, I haven't actually been able to find an example of someone successfully using this - does anybody have any experience? Grateful for a response.
This is interesting, lets hope anybody come who is successful under this rule

gmx

Post by gmx » Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:29 pm

Everyone,

There's an FoI request that has been answered regarding this. Surely we can all agree that almost all of the delayed decisions are not our faults?!

FoI request: https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/ ... requiremen

Code: Select all

In  general  terms,  we  would  expect  to  exercise  this  discretion  where  the  delay  was  due  to 
failings  on  the  part  of  the  UK  Border  Agency.    Examples  of  this  might  be  where  there  had 
been delays in dealing with the case due to an increased volume of applications, or the file 
being with another part of the Agency.  If, however, the delays were due to the applicant not 
responding to correspondence, or sending incorrect documentation which resulted in further 
enquiries, we would not exercise discretion on this basis. 

In the example you have outlined above, if a delay had occurred during Mr P’s application for 
ILR  and  it  is  shown  that  this  delay  was  through  no  fault  of  his  own  then  the  policy  for 
discretion  detailed  in  paragraph  7.5(g)  of  the  Nationality  guidance  will  normally  be  applied. 
However,  this  decision  will  rest  with  the  caseworker  considering  the  application  for  British 
citizenship. Applicants are advised to satisfy themselves that they meet the requirements for 
British citizenship before making an application as the fee for an unsuccessful or withdrawn 
application will not be refunded.  
In my case, I have NEVER received any further correspondence from UKBA since I did my biometric in Dec-12. Now, My application is already more than 6 months old.

go2khurram wrote:
mike_k wrote:Hi there, I believe there that if you are eventually granted ILR and that the process took longer than three months then you can apply 15 months after the date of your application for ILR (I assume this starts from the date on the letter of acknowledgement from the UKBA). See the ref. below (7.5 part g).

mike_k

Post by mike_k » Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:11 pm

Hi gmx, thanks once again! I would assume that so long as you aren't asked to provide any documents other than those which were supplied with the initial application then you would be able to use this rule. However, the document you provided makes it pretty clear that if you were asked to provide more information, or had taken a while to respond to a request then they could argue that any delay was at least in part due to you. Given that (I believe) the application of this rule is up to the discretion of the case-worker then I probably would not risk it if I was asked to provide more stuff (even if the application ended up taking a long time).

I'm guessing that given so many ILR applications appear to be taking much longer than six months, we should be able to find an example of someone using this ruling on the forum - if not in the recent past then probably in the near future...

Wheresmyilr
Newly Registered

Post by Wheresmyilr » Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:40 pm

I have a friend who applied for ILR in November 2011 which was subsequently granted in June 2012. In his ILR approval letter it stated that he became "free from Immigration restrictions" on December 15 2011, the date his previous visa would have expired. He applied for Naturalisation in December 2012 sending the ILR letter, even though he has only had ILR for six months and it was granted. Not sure if it always states this in the ILR approval letter or if things have subsequently changed.

go2khurram wrote:

gmx

Post by gmx » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:27 am

SeanH
Newly Registered

Post by SeanH » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:20 pm

Applied for ILR SET(O) - HSMP (family application)
Documents send 8 October 2012
Document received by HO 10 October 2012
Ack letter received 13 October 1012
Payment gone through 16 October

27 Dec 2012 - Biometrics requested
19 Jan 2013 - Biometrics completed

8 April - I corresponded with my local MP and asked for assistance after getting no help from UKBA (6 months had lapsed)

ILR Approved 25 April 2013
ILR Received shortly!

A long, expensive, and unrewarding process. It probably helped having Hon Teresa May as our local MP. Her office is very thorough and efficient!

When I finally got to dealing directly with someone at the UKBA who had my file, I found the service prompt and professional. :D

only-one-king

Post by only-one-king » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:46 pm

Hi All

8 weeks of wait seems like waited for 8 years finally got our ILR this morning .

applied for ILR SET (O) postal application on workpermit 5 year basis with 2 dependents
Docs posted 21 feb 2013
docs delivered 22 feb 203
acknowledgement (printed date)- 25/feb/13
letter dated(10/apr/2013)from UKBA asking about SOC code- 15/Apr/2013
Letter posted - 16th/April/2013
letter received by UKBA - 17/April/2013 (as per royal mail)
ILR approval letter with documents - 25th april/2013
Biomatric cards- missed delivery by DX on 25th/april/2013 and booked for delivery on 26th/april/2013
Thanks for all the provided support by all seniors on this forum. asn i wish app the best who are still waiting for ILR.
THanks

ranadawood

Post by ranadawood » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:47 pm

Congrats fellow.

Would you mind to check which date your ILR is starting from?
is it date where your last visa expired or the day when it is granated.

Thanks

only-one-king

Post by only-one-king » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:48 pm

hi
i think ILR start date is the date when its granted.

mike_k

Post by mike_k » Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:07 pm

Oh dear, that was depressing reading! 44% of applicants were still waiting 7 months and 24 days after applying (assuming they applied on the 15th of August)... I applied in the middle of October. Looks like I've probably got a while to go...

I have, as of now, done the following to try and speed up the process/get information about my application:

I have made a formal complaint to the UKBA regarding processing times for postal ILR applications and how they do not come close to meeting the advertised service standards. I also complained that applications did not appear to be processed in order of date received. In retrospect, I don't think this will help my application, but I think I made some convincing arguments so I'm looking forward to the response.

I ring the hotline every day and get the exact same answer - still in process. I will continue to do so.

I contacted my embassy to see whether I could get them to intervene. Technically my passport is the property of my home country's government, so I thought maybe they might be annoyed it was being 'held to ransom' by a foreign government department. It was great to talk to some fellow countrymen/women who seemed to be very competent at their jobs. However, they said that they could not intervene as this was a UK process and it was out of their hands. Other countries might be different? The did offer their condolences for having to deal with the UKBA...

I have got my employer to see if they can expedite the application. The grounds for this are that I occasionally have to travel for work. This is probably a long-shot but I'll try anything. I'm going to contact my MP to get him to inquire as to the progress of the application and also to try and expedite things. At the moment as well as having to travel for work, I plan to include the fact that I would like to take my son to meet his extended family in the letter. I know that this is hardly a 'life or death' reason for expediting an application, but it is important to me. Does anyone know whether there are guidelines for expediting a case? I would like to see whether my case meets these before sending the letter. I have looked but could not find anything concrete. I also rang the UKBA, but the lady I talked to could also not find anything (I was not really all that surprised).

I am still mulling over contacting the media. I found a story in the Guardian which highlighted the plight of spouses of UK citizens and the trials they were having applying for ILR. There was a comments section in which people were recounting their stories which were pretty horrendous. After sending the letter to the MP my next focus will be to contact the author.

ranadawood

Post by ranadawood » Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:06 pm

only-one-king

So it mean you ILR is starting from say 25 April 2013?

What 's happen with the waiting times?

gmx

Post by gmx » Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:37 pm

I think you've done / are going to do things that are sensible to me.

I call only on weekly basis but on my last call on Monday, I was told off not to contact them every week but to just wait. That was even before the guy asked me for my details / reference number.

I wouldn't mind waiting if they are transparent of their processes.

Applications are processed in date of received order? Now, I no longer believe that.
95% of applications are processed within 6 months? Tragic, whenever I call them, they still insist on this particular point like something that they're proud and confident of.
My application is in progress? I seriously doubt that.

I already sent my complaint to Mr Rob himself and some of the senior level people in HO.

The more people to do this, the more pressure on them to take actions and not only to re-brand the organisation, but keeping all the same.
mike_k wrote:
Oh dear, that was depressing reading! 44% of applicants were still waiting 7 months and 24 days after applying (assuming they applied on the 15th of August)... I applied in the middle of October. Looks like I've probably got a while to go...

I have, as of now, done the following to try and speed up the process/get information about my application:

I have made a formal complaint to the UKBA regarding processing times for postal ILR applications and how they do not come close to meeting the advertised service standards. I also complained that applications did not appear to be processed in order of date received. In retrospect, I don't think this will help my application, but I think I made some convincing arguments so I'm looking forward to the response.

I ring the hotline every day and get the exact same answer - still in process. I will continue to do so.

I contacted my embassy to see whether I could get them to intervene. Technically my passport is the property of my home country's government, so I thought maybe they might be annoyed it was being 'held to ransom' by a foreign government department. It was great to talk to some fellow countrymen/women who seemed to be very competent at their jobs. However, they said that they could not intervene as this was a UK process and it was out of their hands. Other countries might be different? The did offer their condolences for having to deal with the UKBA...

I have got my employer to see if they can expedite the application. The grounds for this are that I occasionally have to travel for work. This is probably a long-shot but I'll try anything. I'm going to contact my MP to get him to inquire as to the progress of the application and also to try and expedite things. At the moment as well as having to travel for work, I plan to include the fact that I would like to take my son to meet his extended family in the letter. I know that this is hardly a 'life or death' reason for expediting an application, but it is important to me. Does anyone know whether there are guidelines for expediting a case? I would like to see whether my case meets these before sending the letter. I have looked but could not find anything concrete. I also rang the UKBA, but the lady I talked to could also not find anything (I was not really all that surprised).

I am still mulling over contacting the media. I found a story in the Guardian which highlighted the plight of spouses of UK citizens and the trials they were having applying for ILR. There was a comments section in which people were recounting their stories which were pretty horrendous. After sending the letter to the MP my next focus will be to contact the author.

mike_k

Post by mike_k » Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:16 pm

Cheers for the reply. Do you, or anyone else for that matter, know of the guidelines they use to determine whether a case warrants being expedited? I can't find anything.

SeanH
Newly Registered

£3945 for ILR family of 4

Post by SeanH » Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:19 pm

"We charge fees to ensure that we raise the money we need to run a strong, robust immigration system and to offer a world-class level of service. We set our fees at levels that are fair to our customers."

gmx

Post by gmx » Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:34 pm

I cannot find any guidance related to this other than the one on my acknowledgement letter.

"Our published service standard is that we aim to complete 99% of applications within 6 months. All applications are considered in application date order unless there are any compelling or compassionate reason to prioritise."

I can only find the general guidelines

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... chapter6a/
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... cross-cut/

mike_k wrote:Cheers for the reply. Do you, or anyone else for that matter, know of the guidelines they use to determine whether a case warrants being expedited? I can't find anything.

sanks
Newly Registered

Post by sanks » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:07 pm

There are odd examples in this forum every now and then, even today there is an approval from Feb 2013 application. Now that could just be a one off but I believe they have started to take it serious from 2013 onwards. May be they are not receiving many application. One other interesting thing is that on UKBA's website I regularly check the status of Tier1 application process (you can see what date are they processing). The last update on it says processing those applicants who did their bio metric on or before 1st October 2012. I also used to compare that time, even though it was for tier1 process, with the approved ILR set(O) in this forum. They used to more or less match. But now they stopped updating the UKBA site with that time and been stuck on 1st October since Jan 2013. May be they can't be bothered to update it or it really is taking them time to clear October bio's. Who knows!

Anyway I call them week on week and this time I got through to a rude lady and got told off. She said there is no need to call us and there is nothing I can do to expedite the process. There was a bit of sarcasm in her tone as if I am doing a stupid thing by calling them and they are trying all they could do to process applications. In the end I was told the standard script and said don't call us and let UKBA contact you.

8 months on now and my application is somewhere there in the 1000 odd unprocessed applications.
gmx wrote:an example?
Wheresmyilr wrote:As a matter of interest how do you know the 2013 applications are being processed sooner?
sanks wrote:Nice to see some action after a few dull days here. Its interesting to read these. I guess the heat is on but then on the other hand I don't see any improvement to the old cases. I think they have decided to start all over again from Jan 2013 and picked 2013 applications to do so. As a result you can see 2013 applications are getting processed sooner. I also think they have kind of abandoned the July August and partially September applicants. I read someone saying that the new applications are being processed in offices of UKBA other than Liverpool, where its flooded with the July-Sep applications (may be true).

I will be finishing 8 months in a weeks time, still call them every week and last week I spoke to a nice lady and she told me that the case worker has my file but hasn't left any sort of remark on it to say why is it taking longer to finish. So now I understand that they can look into the case workers comments if they want to :).

Anyway lets keep this forum alive and it really helps to share your thoughts.

Cheers guys
gmx wrote:I think the 'spike' most probably is related to either one or both of these changes:

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... settlement
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... -migration

gmx

Post by gmx » Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:48 pm

Hi sanks,

Thanks for sharing your observation.

As you can read from my previous posts, I also experienced the same thing. So, I guess that's normal nowadays and that shows they can't cope with the high level of stress.

Have you sent your complaints to your MP and/or senior level people at HO, including Mr Rob Whiteman and the new lady in charge of Visas and Immigration - Sarah Rapson?

I don't believe any longer that applications are processed in date of received.

Dec-12 Statistics

Maybe they are not receiving many applications? I don't think so.

This is the reply that I'm getting: "I am afraid that over the past 12 months the number of applications we are receiving has been higher than anticipated and consequently it is taking us longer than we would wish to process them"

sanks wrote:There are odd examples in this forum every now and then, even today there is an approval from Feb 2013 application. Now that could just be a one off but I believe they have started to take it serious from 2013 onwards. May be they are not receiving many application. One other interesting thing is that on UKBA's website I regularly check the status of Tier1 application process (you can see what date are they processing). The last update on it says processing those applicants who did their bio metric on or before 1st October 2012. I also used to compare that time, even though it was for tier1 process, with the approved ILR set(O) in this forum. They used to more or less match. But now they stopped updating the UKBA site with that time and been stuck on 1st October since Jan 2013. May be they can't be bothered to update it or it really is taking them time to clear October bio's. Who knows!

Anyway I call them week on week and this time I got through to a rude lady and got told off. She said there is no need to call us and there is nothing I can do to expedite the process. There was a bit of sarcasm in her tone as if I am doing a stupid thing by calling them and they are trying all they could do to process applications. In the end I was told the standard script and said don't call us and let UKBA contact you.

8 months on now and my application is somewhere there in the 1000 odd unprocessed applications.
gmx wrote:an example?
Wheresmyilr wrote:As a matter of interest how do you know the 2013 applications are being processed sooner?
sanks wrote:Nice to see some action after a few dull days here. Its interesting to read these. I guess the heat is on but then on the other hand I don't see any improvement to the old cases. I think they have decided to start all over again from Jan 2013 and picked 2013 applications to do so. As a result you can see 2013 applications are getting processed sooner. I also think they have kind of abandoned the July August and partially September applicants. I read someone saying that the new applications are being processed in offices of UKBA other than Liverpool, where its flooded with the July-Sep applications (may be true).

I will be finishing 8 months in a weeks time, still call them every week and last week I spoke to a nice lady and she told me that the case worker has my file but hasn't left any sort of remark on it to say why is it taking longer to finish. So now I understand that they can look into the case workers comments if they want to :).

Anyway lets keep this forum alive and it really helps to share your thoughts.

Cheers guys

gmx

Post by gmx » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:41 pm

And don't forget the Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman

Source:
http://www.ombudsman.org.uk/__data/asse ... 12-web.pdf

Too many of the complaints we receive have to be sent back because there is more that can be done by the department or organisation concerned. Many of these complaints were about the UK Border Agency. We continue to see the impact that their backlogs have on individuals who are awaiting decisions that will affect their future.

It is no secret that the UK Border Agency have backlogs. The complaints we receive show that some people, stuck in a backlog, are also unable 
to find out when they might receive a decision. Almost two-thirds of complaints we sent back to organisations for a full answer in 2011-12 were 
complaints about the Agency. Sometimes, the Agency fail to deal properly with complaints even when an MP has intervened.

We are the experts on complaint handling and good administration. The Agency are the experts, with the power to make the decisions, on immigration matters. It makes sense for them to deal with complaints before we get involved. It means any immigration decision that underlies the complaint receives attention first. Also, once the Agency look at the complaint, they can often put things right quickly. A prompt, accurate result is good for the individual, and good value for taxpayers. 

sanks
Newly Registered

Post by sanks » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:09 pm

Thanks gmx. I haven't written to anyone yet but will be doing it this weekend. I think enough is enough, I just need a bloody decision now. I need to move on with my life just tired of this waiting. Thanks for all this. Will keep you posted.

gmx wrote:And don't forget the Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman

Source:
http://www.ombudsman.org.uk/__data/asse ... 12-web.pdf

Too many of the complaints we receive have to be sent back because there is more that can be done by the department or organisation concerned. Many of these complaints were about the UK Border Agency. We continue to see the impact that their backlogs have on individuals who are awaiting decisions that will affect their future.

It is no secret that the UK Border Agency have backlogs. The complaints we receive show that some people, stuck in a backlog, are also unable 
to find out when they might receive a decision. Almost two-thirds of complaints we sent back to organisations for a full answer in 2011-12 were 
complaints about the Agency. Sometimes, the Agency fail to deal properly with complaints even when an MP has intervened.

We are the experts on complaint handling and good administration. The Agency are the experts, with the power to make the decisions, on immigration matters. It makes sense for them to deal with complaints before we get involved. It means any immigration decision that underlies the complaint receives attention first. Also, once the Agency look at the complaint, they can often put things right quickly. A prompt, accurate result is good for the individual, and good value for taxpayers. 

balixonline
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by balixonline » Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:10 am

My timeline guys..

Applied for ILR SET(M)
Document sent: 25th Feb 13
Document received by HO: 26th Feb 13
Payment taken on 26 Feb 13, showed up on statement on 27 Feb
Ackn letter received 29 Feb, dated 27 feb.
Biometric letter received: March 11, 2013
Biometric done: March 12, 2013
Letter for ILR grant and all original documents received 26 April 13, dated 24 April 2013.

What a relief... ei.

meemyself&I

Post by meemyself&I » Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:03 am

balixonline wrote:My timeline guys..

Applied for ILR SET(M)
Letter for ILR grant and all original documents received 26 April 13, dated 24 April 2013.

What a relief… ei.
Congrats, it shows UKBA are now processing visas in a much more quicker way.
God's divine child

gmx

Post by gmx » Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:16 am

That's normal for most SET(M) I observed
meemyself&I wrote:
balixonline wrote:My timeline guys..

Applied for ILR SET(M)

What a relief… ei.
Congrats, it shows UKBA are now processing visas in a much more quicker way.