ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Family Reunion

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

zebra61
Newly Registered

Family Reunion

Post by zebra61 » Fri Mar 09, 2007 8:34 pm

I'm a British citizen living in the UK for more than 10 years. My mother who is under 65 is now recently widowed and has limited funds
to live in the Ukraine, and no other family members to support her. My British Husband and I would like her to live permantly with us in the UK. We have the resources to do so. Over the past 10 years she has visited us on 6 month visas. The embassy has sometimes issued a visa, no questions other times it has been more diffcult, as they never believe she would return. Although she never overstayed.

My concern is that they would find some excuse not to issue a dependacy visa, for some reason or another, and we would have to appeal etc. And this would jepordise her applying for any other type of visa.

Although my mother would comply with all the questions asked. The point below seems a grey area, which could be interpreted in different ways. I'm not sure what exceptional compassionate circumstances. means.

- a parent or grandparent under the age of 65 living alone in the most exceptional compassionate circumstances and mainly dependent financially on relatives settled in the United Kingdom

Has anyone had experience or bringing Non EU i.e Ukrainian family members to the UK ?

Thanks
Last edited by zebra61 on Sat Mar 10, 2007 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Docterror
United Kingdom

Post by Docterror » Fri Mar 09, 2007 8:52 pm

The greatest test that you will face in such visa applications is that of dependency... financial dependancy... irrespective of which BHC you apply in. Do you have any records of regular transfers of funds/money to your mother?

Appeals donot affect further applications especially if your case is strong enough to be won. If you and your husband are both British and your mother has no other person to turn to in Ukraine, what else are you supposed to do?
Jabi

Biscuit
Newly Registered

Post by Biscuit » Tue Apr 03, 2007 7:19 pm

Hi Zebra61

We are in much the same position.

The phrase "exceptional compassionate circumstances" is obviously intended to give some leeway. The only definition I have found is this:

What does ‘most exceptional compassionate circumstances’ mean?

This is a very difficult requirement to meet. It makes it very difficult for a dependent relative to enter the UK if he or she is under the age of 65.

The Home Office’s internal guidance is as follows: ‘The circumstances will have to be such that the applicant cannot function (either because of illness or disability) without the help and support of friends or relatives and that no such help or support is available to them in the country where they are living.’ (Immigration Directorate Instructions extract)
http://www.iasuk.org/C2B/document_tree/ ... 68&CatID=1

"Cannot function" seems to be the operating phrase here.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:47 pm

Yep - if she has a pension and one thing the USSR provided for it's people is a pension, u'll struggle to prove the dependent part.

Any family in Ukraine, siblings etc?

Biscuit
Newly Registered

Post by Biscuit » Thu Apr 05, 2007 1:08 pm

Ukrainian pensions are very low - about US$50 a month. With utility bills fast increasing, the $50 is under subsistence level.

The issue is not financial dependancy, but "exceptional compassionate circumstances". For the OP, it is very unlikely that these would apply.