ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

How much compensation should i claim for lost passports ?

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

cheekyvirgin

How much compensation should i claim for lost passports ?

Post by cheekyvirgin » Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:33 pm

I got a letter today from homeoffice saying we regret your 3X passports has been lost in the post.

They sent me the claim form for royalmail and need to know how much should i compensate them for all the hassle i will be going through now.

Please reply

z18runway

Re: How much compensation should i claim for lost passports

Post by z18runway » Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:00 pm

cheekyvirgin wrote:I got a letter today from homeoffice saying we regret your 3X passports has been lost in the post.

They sent me the claim form for royalmail and need to know how much should i compensate them for all the hassle i will be going through now.

Please reply
you said you were there while collecting the parcel, was it really opened, didn't you check that beforehand ?

or home office lost it and blaming the royal mail ?

1) claim depends upon how the postage delivery made (SD or Recorded 2nd class)

2)As for compensation from UKBA, you will need to enquire from UKBA if you are entitled to one and for how much. As for claiming compensation from Royal Mail, it would depend on what method was used to post (1st, 2nd, SD etc.), entitlement to claim according to method of postage and, more importantly, evidence of postage.
Last edited by z18runway on Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:03 pm

cheekyvirgin wrote:I got a letter today from homeoffice saying we regret your 3X passports has been lost in the post.

Please reply
How was the parcel sent? Special delivery?
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

Kevin24
Diamond Member

Post by Kevin24 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:50 pm

Please reply
You need to include the Fees for applying for New Passport with the Postal Charges . Hope both are allowable expenses to be reimbursed.
KEVIN
Please Don't send me P. M If I haven't sent you One .

Emrah

Post by Emrah » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:55 pm

Please reply
I really wanna know what service they used to send your passports?

I will put pre-paid special delivery envelope if they dont send our passports back by special delivery.

Kevin24
Diamond Member

Post by Kevin24 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:45 pm

Emrah wrote:

Please reply

I will put pre-paid special delivery envelope if they dont send our passports back by special delivery.
Good Idea to send a Pre-Paid special Delivery Envelope. Normally they send your documents back by recorded delivery.
KEVIN
Please Don't send me P. M If I haven't sent you One .

Emrah

Post by Emrah » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:40 pm

Kevin24 wrote:
Emrah wrote:

Please reply

Good Idea to send a Pre-Paid special Delivery Envelope. Normally they send your documents back by recorded delivery.
If they send it by recorded delivery dont they keep the tracking number? paying fortune for visa and they dont even bother to send it by special delivery.

cheekyvirgin

Post by cheekyvirgin » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:59 pm

They sent via second class signed delivery, when i got the package that was not tempered neither damage and when i opened it could not find any passports in there.

Upon contacting them they insisting that they have send it in the same package... BUT NONE OF MY PASSPORTS WERE THERE.

Today they send me saying sorry and putting everything on royalmail and asking me to fill and send the P58 form to claim the compensation from the Royal mail.

Question is about my 3 passports which they have lost and now the bloody hassle i am gonna suffer to get the new one etc

Please Advice

Emrah

Post by Emrah » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:15 am

cheekyvirgin wrote:They sent via second class signed delivery, when i got the package that was not tempered neither damage and when i opened it could not find any passports in there.

Upon contacting them they insisting that they have send it in the same package... BUT NONE OF MY PASSPORTS WERE THERE.

Today they send me saying sorry and putting everything on royalmail and asking me to fill and send the P58 form to claim the compensation from the Royal mail.

Question is about my 3 passports which they have lost and now the bloody hassle i am gonna suffer to get the new one etc

Please Advice
Bloody SECOND class signed delivery. What a joke.

Ask as much as it already costed you and will cost you.

If you have time watch the programme called Secrets of Your Missing Mail on channel 4 on Monday at 8pm.

uk_2010

Post by uk_2010 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:35 pm

Cheekyvirgin,
Buddy not trying to disappoint you but ideally you should have preferred to send your self addressed secured delivery envelop.
Based on similar experience from friend of mine, I can see that this is just a ping pong game between two different Orgs.
And since this was 2nd class delivery I would be really surprised if you get anything at all...good luck anyway...
regards

bubin123
Member of Standing

Post by bubin123 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:34 pm

How does a special delivery envelope will change the scenario?
The 2nd class recorded envelope was not tampered or damaged, still passports were missing. Its UKBA who lost it before it was posted.

uk_2010

Post by uk_2010 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:40 pm

how do you think we or anyone else can prove that it is lost by UKBA?

Emrah

Post by Emrah » Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:53 pm

bubin123 wrote:How does a special delivery envelope will change the scenario?
The 2nd class recorded envelope was not tampered or damaged, still passports were missing. Its UKBA who lost it before it was posted.
you get the tracking number yourself before you send it to UKBA, which is next day guaranteed delivery

The benefits include:

money back guarantee if your item doesn't arrive on time

end to end tracking and signature on delivery online or via your mobile

compensation cover up to £500 for loss and damage

ideal for sending valuable items such as money or jewellery

send items up to 20kg

guaranteed Saturday delivery for an additional fee

consequential loss cover up to a maximum of £10,000.

second class recorded delivery compensation cover up to £50. (Im sorry mate but I think you can get only up to £50)

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:53 pm

Emrah wrote:
bubin123 wrote:How does a special delivery envelope will change the scenario?
you get the tracking number yourself before you send it to UKBA, which is next day guaranteed delivery

The benefits include:

money back guarantee if your item doesn't arrive on time

end to end tracking and signature on delivery online or via your mobile

compensation cover up to £500 for loss and damage

ideal for sending valuable items such as money or jewellery

send items up to 20kg

guaranteed Saturday delivery for an additional fee

consequential loss cover up to a maximum of £10,000.

second class recorded delivery compensation cover up to £50. (Im sorry mate but I think you can get only up to £50)
Yes, if you're claiming from Royal Mail for signed for recorded delivery the maximum compensation is £50. It's like the passport service, you should pay the extra £3 or have sent a pre-paid envelope for ukba. Hindsight is a very good thing, but, with important documents, extra security is always paramount.
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.