ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Getting Married in the UK

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Tauorca
Newly Registered

Getting Married in the UK

Post by Tauorca » Thu Apr 05, 2007 5:22 pm

hello i'm in need of help please

i am Male 21 and i live in the uk my Fiance 19 is a usa citizen and we wish to get married this time she comes over to England which is in just over two months, i'm just wondering what other forms we need because i've looked around and i can't find the form we need all i can find is we need a visit - marriage or visit - civil partnership visa but i don't know how to apply, who or where, can anyone help me please

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Re: Getting Married in the UK

Post by Wanderer » Thu Apr 05, 2007 6:09 pm

Tauorca wrote:hello i'm in need of help please

i am Male 21 and i live in the uk my Fiance 19 is a usa citizen and we wish to get married this time she comes over to England which is in just over two months, i'm just wondering what other forms we need because i've looked around and i can't find the form we need all i can find is we need a visit - marriage or visit - civil partnership visa but i don't know how to apply, who or where, can anyone help me please
Fiancee visa is your only real option.

You can't marry on a visitors visa. I think marriage visit visa will be ok but she'd have to return to US and A and apply for a Spouse visa to join you in the UK.

Don't forget the whacking 500 quid fiancee/spouse visa fee which is pissing us all off!!

BATS

Post by BATS » Thu Apr 05, 2007 6:10 pm

If you plan to get married in the UK and live in the UK together once you are married then you should apply for a fiance visa, which is valid fro 6 months from the time of issue and you have to get married within this time.

If you will just be getting married in the UK then I think you need the marriage visit visa.

Civil partnership forms are for same sex couples so don't know if that applies to you, sorry I don't know anything about those! Look on the UK visas website for more info.

Tauorca
Newly Registered

Post by Tauorca » Thu Apr 05, 2007 6:13 pm

A fee, currently £260, is payable for a fiancé(e) or proposed civil partner visa.

A fee, currently £50 is payable for a marriage or civil partnership visitor visa.

thats all i can find on the website http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/applyi ... ivilpartne

and sorry yes we are just wanting to get married not live here, i'm moving over there but she is still at collage till she's 21 (a 3 year course) so she doesn't have a job and for us to get married in the usa we need a fiance visa which she needs to earn 125% above the poverty level which she doesn't because she doesn't have the time

BATS

Post by BATS » Thu Apr 05, 2007 6:16 pm

The visa prices went up on 1st April. We applied in Feb so we only paid £260. The new fiance visa fee is £500.

I would check the new fee rates for marriage visit visa as I think thats gone up too

Tauorca
Newly Registered

Post by Tauorca » Thu Apr 05, 2007 6:18 pm

well i'll check on that but the main site says it's only £260 :S

but can i use the Marriage visa since she won't be living here?

BATS

Post by BATS » Thu Apr 05, 2007 6:19 pm

this shows the fees:

http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/servlet/Front ... 6977150007

think yours will be £63 for a marriage visit visa

Tauorca
Newly Registered

Post by Tauorca » Thu Apr 05, 2007 6:24 pm

thanks for that link... but it says

£44
Handling applications on behalf of Commonwealth countries
Handling applications on behalf of UK Overseas Territories
Direct Airside Transit (DAT)
Visitor in transit
Join ship or aircraft

£63
Visit, single, double and multiple, valid up to 6 months

£99
Student

£200
Longer term visit
Work Permit
Highly Skilled Migrant Programme - HSMP
Employment
Certificate of entitlement

£500
Settlement; marriage (fiancé(e)), civil partner
EEA/Swiss family permit Free of charge

i am unsure if it's the marriage (fiancé(e)) at 500 or the Visit at £63?? i'm a little confused (which doesn't take much might i add)

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Thu Apr 05, 2007 6:28 pm

Tauorca wrote:A fee, currently £260, is payable for a fiancé(e) or proposed civil partner visa.

A fee, currently £50 is payable for a marriage or civil partnership visitor visa.

thats all i can find on the website http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/applyi ... ivilpartne

and sorry yes we are just wanting to get married not live here, i'm moving over there but she is still at collage till she's 21 (a 3 year course) so she doesn't have a job and for us to get married in the usa we need a fiance visa which she needs to earn 125% above the poverty level which she doesn't because she doesn't have the time
Not wanting to rain on your parade but won't she have fulfill the income criteria even on the US K-3 marriage visa route your planning to take?

My US buddies who've married Russian women on K-1's and K-3's tell me it can be a long wait too, especially the K-3.

Tauorca
Newly Registered

Post by Tauorca » Thu Apr 05, 2007 6:31 pm

not as i can see... it doesn't say anything about how much she earns and if we were to get married in the usa i dont need an income so we are getting married in the uk so i would be the one who needs to earn the cash and atm i earn about £320 per week and thats above the poverty level in the UK

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Thu Apr 05, 2007 6:39 pm

Tauorca wrote:not as i can see... it doesn't say anything about how much she earns and if we were to get married in the usa i dont need an income so we are getting married in the uk so i would be the one who needs to earn the cash and atm i earn about £320 per week and thats above the poverty level in the UK
But she'd need to prove to US authorities she can support herself and you and obviously she can't so no visa on the face of it. It's not the Marriage Visit visa that's going to be your problem but the K-3 Spouse visa will be if she's not earning anything. How are you both going to live?

US immigration law is much more stringent than ours too I might add so there's a lot more to prepare.

Tauorca
Newly Registered

Post by Tauorca » Thu Apr 05, 2007 6:42 pm

well at the moment we are trying to get married but as for emplyment she is in her mums old house and she doesn't need to pay anything on it because her mum pays it and as for income her dad will emply me when i can stay and work over there (which is really nice) also i've been looking around some more and found this on a usa website

You must hold either:

* Entry clearance as a Fiancé/e (if you intend to remain in the UK after you marry)
* Entry clearance as a Visitor-for-Marriage (if you intend to leave within 6 months)

The entry clearance requirement is mandatory for all nationalities (except EEA nationals).

Persons already in the UK in a long stay capacity who want to marry (e.g. a work permit holder over 6 months) should apply to the Home Office for a certificate of approval.

Visitor for Marriage

To obtain entry clearance as a visitor-for-marriage, you must meet the normal requirements of the UK Immigration Rules for entry as a visitor:

-you are genuinely seeking entry as a visitor for up to six months
-you intend to leave the UK at the end of your visit
-you do not intend to take employment in the UK
-you have enough money to support and accommodate yourself without recourse to public funds or taking employment
-you can meet the cost of a return or onward journey.

In addition you must show that:

-you are free to marry
-you intend to marry during your visit to the UK
-you can be supported without working or having recourse to public funds during your visit
-you intend to depart the UK before the expiry date of your visa.

it doesn't say anything about anyone earning a minimum amount to get the visa

also do i need the visitor visa for her?

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Thu Apr 05, 2007 6:50 pm

Here's the requirements for a K-3 visa:

[quote]What are the Requirements for a Marriage K3 Visa?

The immigration requirements for a K3 Visa are simple but firm:

1. The petitioner must be a United States citizen. This means Legal Permanent Resident “Green Cardâ€

Tauorca
Newly Registered

Post by Tauorca » Thu Apr 05, 2007 6:53 pm

it's got 3 different numbers... which is the right one?

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Thu Apr 05, 2007 7:00 pm

Tauorca wrote:it's got 3 different numbers... which is the right one?
Here's the page

http://www.k3-visa.com/marriage_visa_eligibility.html

The three numbers are 48 states, alaska, then hawaii

Tauorca
Newly Registered

Post by Tauorca » Thu Apr 05, 2007 7:03 pm

it says they can use a co-sponser... can this be anyone and if i'm useing her dad would he need to be dependant on his wife and son... if so that would make 5 dependants am i correct?

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Thu Apr 05, 2007 7:03 pm

i am Male 21 and i live in the uk my Fiance 19 is a usa citizen and we wish to get married this time she comes over to England which is in just over two months
In a couple of months time you should be OK but do note that the UK Government is consulting on a proposal to raise the minimum age for spouse/fiancé(e)/partner visas to 21 years old, and that will also apply to the sponsor of such an applicant.

Accordingly do not delay getting your fiancée to apply for her fiancée visa, if indeed you intend to proceed with a plan to get married in the UK.
John