ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

UK Vs Canada . Which is better ?

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

ens

Post by ens » Mon Apr 02, 2007 7:33 am

white collars - highly skilled positions
blue collars - other positions

simar

Re: Canada Vs UK

Post by simar » Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:00 am

SHANKARK wrote:I dont think the UK weather is as bad as Canada's. I can see the extreme cold can be killing.

What exactly blue coloured / white coloured jobs mean ?

Canada is too big to stereotype into one kind of weather.

West coast on Vancouver is much pleasant with no snowfall. While east coast Toronto have extreme cold weather in winters ( -25 degree) to extreme weather in summers +35 degree

But all these and previous listed things only come into consideration once your have skilled job (even bit less paying) in Canada. In case no job than relocating to even India is better for gaining skill experience than staying and doing odd jobs in UK/Canada.

DJSA
Newly Registered

Re: UK Vs Canada . Which is better ?

Post by DJSA » Wed Apr 04, 2007 6:48 am

SHANKARK wrote:Hi all,

I recently got Hsmp approval & EC and intended to fly next month...Also this week my application for Permanent Residence to Canada as approvaed as well which I filed two years ago....

Now I am in a confusion to choose the right destination for me...Many ppl say Canada is anyday better place than UK in many aspects....

I am a little bit bothered wether will I get the accredition for my Masters degree which I earned in the UK... I've heard many ppl complaining of hardlife and stiff competition in Canada and the Canadians are more bothered about their qualifications..

Can anyone advise me on this matter...I really wanna take the right decision now..

Many Thanks
You lucky person.

The best way forward is - have both!
Just spend at least 183 days a year in Canada and at least 100 days (the accurate figure is 90-somethings days) in UK, then you'll have both citizenships at the end of 5/6 years.

mayana

Post by mayana » Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:22 am

Having read through the various comment, its important to note that decision is a matter of choice and whoever is involved in decision making process should be ready to face the consequency, its not easy but that the truth, we've all had our shares of immgration stress. Those who vacate their home country for greener pastures should pray very well b4 embarking on this wonderous adventure. U.K and Canada have laboured so much to make there economy greater. The immgrant have to pay the price to enjoy it. This is really painfull.
Forum member i have not come across any forum where people are discussing on how to migrate to Africa, Indian and other developing counties. My compatriot PAPAFAITH have said it all. I can go on and on but here i rest my case.

Mayana

SHANKARK

UK Vs Canada

Post by SHANKARK » Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:03 pm

On my findings, I feel Canada is better for long term settlement than the UK. I can understand when someone says they are more comfortable in Toronto than in London.

I am gonna try to secure a good job in London now with my Hsmp, see how it goes for another 1-2 years... During this period I can go to Canada complete the landing formalities and look for a job there as well..And then decide..Eventually I will have to leave one. Cant maintain both. :P

Rog
Member of Standing

Post by Rog » Thu Apr 05, 2007 9:12 pm

I think your decision is right. At least Canada gives PR on entry and does not cheat you like the UK government. Struggle to establish oneself is simaltaneous with immigration and we are ready for that but the extra pressure of threat of the visa being retracted and being deported increases the struggle multifold.

simar

Re: UK Vs Canada

Post by simar » Sat Apr 07, 2007 11:37 pm

SHANKARK wrote:On my findings, I feel Canada is better for long term settlement than the UK. I can understand when someone says they are more comfortable in Toronto than in London.

I am gonna try to secure a good job in London now with my Hsmp, see how it goes for another 1-2 years... During this period I can go to Canada complete the landing formalities and look for a job there as well..And then decide..Eventually I will have to leave one. Cant maintain both. :P

Good u have make up your mind to give serious try to canada. Just when one enter UK on hsmp first time ,if people notice. The lady on desk filling medical form write about us as LONG TERM VISITOR
Campare this when people enter canada on PR first time , They say WELCOME HOME. The attitute at airport itself speak ups.

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru
Location: does not matter if you are with your EEA family member

Re: UK Vs Canada . Which is better ?

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Sun Apr 08, 2007 7:29 am

SHANKARK wrote:I recently got Hsmp approval & EC and intended to fly next month...Also this week my application for Permanent Residence to Canada as approved as well which I filed two years ago....

Now I am in a confusion to choose the right destination for me...Many ppl say Canada is any day better place than UK in many aspects....

I am a little bit bothered whether will I get the accreditation for my Masters degree which I earned in the UK...
Nice that you have two good options!

As other people have pointed out, immigrating to any new country is difficult. You have experience in the UK, and so that would require less adjustment. Oh the other hand, Canada is also a pretty special place with a lot of opportunity, and is definitely worth considering.

You say you are worried about your qualifications being recognized in Canada, but you do not say exactly what qualifications you have. That makes it difficult to answer your question. If you are, for example, a medical doctor or a publicly certified engineer (like a mechanical engineer) or an architect, then you may have to go through a slow and painful process of getting your qualifications recognized in Canada before beginning to work in that profession. On the other hand, if you are an electrical engineer or a historian or work in some area that is not publicly regulated, then you can just start.
SHANKARK wrote:I've heard many ppl complaining of hardlife and stiff competition in Canada and the Canadians are more bothered about their qualifications..
hard life in what sense? Stiff competition for what? If you are more specific, it is easier to answer your questions. In general I do not think Canadians are more bothered about qualifications than in the UK, and in fact I would say it is likely the other way around. But again it depends on which qualification you are talking about.

Good luck and enjoy whichever country you decide to live in!

sjgul

Post by sjgul » Sun Apr 08, 2007 9:23 am

Director,

What about IT/Telecoms ?

first2last4

Post by first2last4 » Sun Apr 08, 2007 9:57 am

mayana wrote:U.K and Canada have laboured so much to make there economy greater. The immgrant have to pay the price to enjoy it. This is really painfull.
Mayana
Dont know much about Canada, but occupying and ruling other country from decade is surely laborious for UK :lol: :lol: :lol:
Knowledge which is concealed is lost -Hadith

mayana

Post by mayana » Sat Apr 21, 2007 4:16 pm

first2last4,
Your opinion1?

rose99
Newly Registered

UK by any means!!!

Post by rose99 » Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:43 am

Dear SHANKARK and others in this discussion,

As a person who lived in Canada (as an immigrant) and is now in the UK on the HSMP visa, I would like to share a few words... Before you start reading my post please bear in mind that the Canadian government has a huge machinery that has a job to bring about 250,000 new immigrants every year in Canada or Canadian economy will suffer and there won't be a pension fund big enough to sustain all retired people in the next 8 years. That machinery uses all marketing and PR tricks to attract those immigrants, but does not care really how they will fare in their professional fields once they arrive. Please understand that the Canadian economy really does not need highly skilled people as there are not enough of those jobs available and their own university graduates cannot find employment (this is coming from the official statistics), but it needs workers that will work in basic/blue collar jobs and as well as in those jobs that Canadians do not want to do. Once the new immigrants do arrive, they realise that there is a huge disconnection between what the government said to them in the visa process, and what the real situation with the Canadian employers is. Now please continue with the rest of my message:

I haven't been able to read this earlier, but hope that my response will not be too late... I hope that my answer to your query would be interesting for you as I lived with my family in Canada for almost 10 years and we live now in our second year in London on the HSMP visa, so I can easily give you some pointers from the first hand. Here in London I have been working in one of my specializations as a manager (I have two university degrees, two postgraduate diplomas and an MBA, and have several professions that I can pursue), and will assume the director's position in another organisation in a week. My husband works as a manager in his profession (IT) as well, and we are extremely happy with our decission to come to the UK (from Canada) on the HSMP program. We find this opportunity and so far experience much better than it was our experience of immigrants in Canada for almost 10 years (before coming to the UK).

Some months ago somebody from this forum with plans for moving to Canada has asked me why we had left Canada for the UK and how these two countries and immigration experiences compare, and this was my answer:
------------------------------------

To answer your question about Canada and if we put aside my own feelings about the culture and ways of life in North America in general, the main problem for immigrants in Canada is that Canadian businesses/professional circles do not recognize your previous education and experience and don't bother reading your resume, no matter how many points you've got in the immigration process for visa purposes and how much you have been checked by the Canadian counsulate prior to getting a visa or where you've worked previously. What they are looking for is that infamous "Canadian experience" that every employer wants to see on the resume, and they don't care that you've worked for the best corporations in the world for a certain field - they care only about the Canadian experience. I also have to say that this is not only a problem for immigrants but is also for Canadians who dared to live abroad for years working or studying and when they finally come back home, there are no jobs for them and their education and experience are not valid enough for the employers. I did my master thesis in Canada on that topic and always say that I feel very dissapointed in how Canada treats its highly skilled immigrants. It is not just me - there are also Canadians that are now trying to change the overall attitude, but that is not working as fast as it should...

You can read a lot about that on the web (www.notcanada.com first comes to mind and whatever you read there is what I have also experienced with my family). It is also interesting to point out that no other country with such a high immigration influx (such as Australia, US, UK, Holland, Germany, France, Sweden, Norway) has such a bad reputation on the web/print/TV (surprisingly, Canadian TV mostly) when it comes to how its immigrants are treated once when they land and become residents. I followed these sentiments for two years prior to writing my master thesis and although you can find some negative comments about other countries as well (which is natural as everybody has different opinions) it is Canada (a country that advertises itself as a country with best living standard in the world and that boasts about UN ratings related to that) that is widely commented on in negative terms. It is also interesting to say that even the Canadian Government officially recognizes the problem with how the highly skilled immigrants are treated and for the past 2-3 years is trying to change the situation among the business/professional communities, but it is very obvious that it is not successful and that it is very hard to change the overall business/professional xenophobic culture that exists there.

I have to say that Canada has a great system of integrating its immigrants in terms of language skills for example (if you look at the UK in that way, it is horrible as it does not have any free English as a Second Language (ESL) courses like Canada does), or helping them with making their job applications/resumes, but when it finally comes to finding appropriate job, most highly skilled immigrants end up sweeping floors, delivering pizzas, driving cabs or becoming child-day-care providers at their own homes. What a waste of tallent, particularly when Canada has not paid a cent for the education of those immigrants. Also, most of those highly skilled immigrants usualy don't need an extra English language training, so in my opinion the money that the Canadian government spends in that area should have been spent somewhere else.

For some time I used to work in the adult education centre in a town in the Greater Toronto Area (GTA) where those highly skilled immigrants come in thousands to upgrade their language and other skills hoping to find decent jobs and I know their backgrounds, problems they encountered in Canada, and many of them personally. I've met too many PhDs who ended in menial jobs and it is a big disgrace. It really doesn't matter if your background is from Asia, Africa or Europe, as I've met too many engineers from India, from France, Germany, Russia, China, teachers from Holland, professors from Italy, accountants from the UK, doctors from all over the world... who couldn't work in their professions in Canada. There is a story, widely reported in Canadian media, about a Chinese scientist (a lady) who has been a part of the crew that had sent the first Chinese astronaut to space and who now sells doughnuts in the Toronto subway. She was featured by all major Canadian newspapers and was on a TV several times telling her story in order to open the eyes of the Canadian society and the problem it has with how it treats its highly skilled immigrants. As a manager at the adult education centre I attended several conferences where one of the topics was this particular problem, and I've met Joe Volpe, former Labour and Immigration minister, and no matter how interested he was to push the stereotips away, it proved to be a hard job and is still not solved.

I have to say that some of highly skilled immigrants managed to get through the red tape, and after certain certification exams managed to work in their own profession, but those are only few lucky ones and their rarity is allarming. I used to be one of them, as I've got a job in my field, although on a much lower position than I used to have had before coming to Canada even after graduating from one Canadian university and obtaining a postgraduate diploma from another. As I am very persistant and speak languages, + I graduated from Canadian universities in the meantime (on top of my previous university education gained in my original country), I managed to be promoted to a management role... My own husband (an engineer) worked as pizza driver for two years, even after finishing a Canadian IT postgraduate program. The reason why I have so many degrees and diplomas is exactly that situation as I didn't want to end up like most other immigrants and as a result I used to be a full time university student and a full time employee (and finally a manager) for the last six years in Canada. Very exhausting if you know that we have also a family to raise and feed. My husband did the same (during about two years we were both full time students, employed and were raising three small children at the same time), and finally managed to excel in his field as well, but we've lost too many years in the process and instead of growing professionally, we had to go back to school all over again. Most immigrants in Canada are reluctant to do that and instead stay in their odd jobs in order to be able to feed their families. If you ask any Canadian if they would like to move to another country and have to go to school from scratch they would think you're crazy, but they (in a way) ask that of their own immigrants or otherwise the immigrants end up doing jobs that Canadians don't want to do and I am very bitter about that.

On the other hand, that experience was extremely helpful for upgrading my education and overall knowledge and skills, but I used to feel degraded too many times and didn't want to live in the society that allows that. As we are Europeans anyway, we decided to move back to Europe and the HSMP programme proved to be a right move for us. I am still very bitter about how we were treated in Canada as professionals, but here in the UK feel very free to say that I feel welcome in many ways. If we put aside the Home Office change of rules re: ILR, everything else (for us) was much better experience than in Canada. My husband got a management position (IT) in London only after 5 days of looking for work, and I managed to do the same (as I was very picky) after two months. My British colleagues do not question my qualifications nor treat me as a person that is an immigrant and that needs to learn "the ways of this society" as many Canadians constantly try to put on every immigrant (no matter how long one has lived in the country). I feel more comfortable and more accepted here in the UK where everybody goes about their own business, don't have time to think about who is an immigrant and who is not, where I am not constantly reminded that I am an immigrant, and where I am accepted professionally. As a last point, here in the UK I feel that people value education much better than that is the case with Canada, and Canadians really don't have that much to boast education-wise as my Canadian university courses felt like high school courses in my country - they were that easy and simple.

I hope this will help you and wish you luck with whatever you decide to do.

Rose
--------------------

If you go to:

www.notcanada.com or to
http://www.canadaimmigrants.com/forum.asp or http://www.canadaimmigrants.com/forum_2.asp or http://www.canadaimmigrants.com/forum_3.asp

you will read real and true stories of Canadian highly skilled immigrants and no exagaration in any sense. You can also read stories of Canadian immigrants that have the UK degrees which did not help them at all in Canada. Having a UK degree is recognized by the Canadian government and by the universities (if you want to continue/upgrade your studies), but is not accepted by the Canadian employers as they only want people with Canadian degrees + that infamous "Canadian experience". It won't help you even if you had worked for the best global companies in your field (even if that happened in the US from which Canada hugely depends on in many ways) as Canadians only consider "Canadian experience" during hiring process. By reading stories of highly skilled professionals at the forums I just listed above, you'll see that even after they went back to university in Canada and finished some other degrees/diplomas, that did not help them much in obtaining a job.

I visit these webpages/forums very often as they remind me of problems we went through while living in Canada and it makes me happy that we had managed to escape from there and make our new life here in the UK. Most of the highly skilled immigrants that come to Canada are really not in the position to relocate to other countries or go back home as that costs a lot of money and is very stressful to move yet again, especially if you have kids. It is interesting how it is much easier to get jobs in your profession in the US (I have relatives and friends there and know how that worked for them) or in the UK than it is the case with Canada. Since we moved to the UK I met some Canadian families (people born and raised in Canada and educated in the US or UK) who also could not get into their professional fields in Canada and after some hardship moved to the UK on the HSMP or other visas. I think that says a lot.

I do understand that many people on this forum feel facial prejudices here in the UK, but they also exist in Canada. Canadians only pack them differently and like to boast about themselves how friendly, open and accepting they are, but as with many other sentiments that are used by Canadians in public, I find (as other immigrants do as well) their smiles fake and deceiving and do not trust them at all as they show you their real faces when you look for jobs. Usually they will ask you in their HRDC centres (Job Centres), or in many courses related to Resume writing/job hunting which new immigrants usually attend for a couple of weeks after arrival or after they could not find proper jobs, to consider volunteering for some time in order to gain a "Canadian experience" and "to get a foot in the door", and too many immigrants do exactly that spending months and months working for nothing only to find themselves with job doors shut again. That way the Canadian economy gets your work for free, and who feeds your kids and pays bills? I am very bitter about that practice and consider it modern-day slavery as you are in many ways forced to volunteer hoping to be able to get a proper job and do not have much more other options.

While in Canada I lived in three different provinces and have met so many desperate but highly skilled people who, for the sake of their children's future, decide to take any kind of job (for a minimum payrate) and forget their dreams of working in their own professions. I know an immigrant university professor (from Europe) with a PhD in Mathematics and Physics who lived in Vancouver and who couldn't work in his field, but had to re-train to be a teacher's assistant in the primary school after working more than two years as a volunteer at the UBC (university). Through my last job in Canada I met numerous doctors who couldn't practice medicine (although they have managed to go through a lengthy and very costly process of licensing exams and Canada has a huge lack of doctors) as there are no available placements for their internship. Some of them who were lucky ended up working as the pharmacy assistants after spending 7-11 years of trying to get into their medical field and after volunteering that ranges between 3 months and 5 years. Just try to imagine how their families managed to go through that ordeal... I know hundreds of various kinds of engineers that drive cabs or deliver pizzas (which is the most practiced "profession" in that group of immigrant professionals) or work on the factory floors as plain machine workers or cleaners. My next door neighbour was a doctor who had to attend a one-year program for nurses in order to be able to earn a decent salary for her family and now works as a nurse in the retirement home, and not even as a Registered Nurse. While studying for my second degree I met numerous other immigrant professionals who decided to do their university education all over again as well as they wanted to fight for their position in the society and did not want to conform to the rules that Canadian employers and society had set up, but as I said in my older post (from above), that is not a very often nor easy decision in the immigrants' community as that costs a lot of money, plus takes a lot of time.

Take some time and read the forums I suggested, and make your own decision, but in my private and professional opinion, the UK is by far and large a much better option for a highly skilled immigrant. Remember, no place is perfect, but in the UK you have much, much better chances in getting a job in your professional field, not to mention other pluses like education (I find it much better here than in Canada), culture, global connections... For me, the only negative area in the UK is housing, but I feel that everything else far outweighs Canada.

Good luck,

Rose

global gypsy
United Kingdom

Tough call!

Post by global gypsy » Fri May 04, 2007 7:08 pm

The points by Rose should be included in any consideration of migrating to Canada, but I don't think it should discourage you from moving there. Having lived and worked in a few countries over the past years, I can say that it's a tough call between Canada and the UK. Especially if you are in one of the 'hot' sectors such as IT.

One advantage of moving to the UK is the access to the substantial US market. Of course, you would need to relocate again, if you wanted to take advantage of that opportunity.

After living and working in the US, Canada, NZ & Australia, I've been in the UK for the past 3 years. There are pluses and minuses to each country, depends on what you are looking for, etc.

Best of luck.

UKbound

Post by UKbound » Sun May 06, 2007 2:56 pm

Rose has some good points. There is a lot of highly skilled immigration into Canada, and a limited amount of jobs. Also, the wages appear to be much lower than the US or UK, and for those making higher salaries, the taxes are at much higher rates. Those are the down sides.

On the positive side, Canada has a lower cost of living, and they give you immediate PR. So there's no requalifying, no potential to have rules changed on you after you arrive, and a minimal likelihood that you'll get sent home like the roughly 40,000 people that are projected to be impacted by the most recent changes for HSMP. Also, Canada gives you the right to bring family members as well. Parents, siblings, etc. can apply to join you. This takes a long time, but the UK doesn't allow you to bring family members, with the exception of parents, that can only come here if they're retired and they have no children anywhere else to support them.

Discrimination is true in every location. Canada is no different than the UK. They both want local experience. I faced that in London in my interviews, even though before I left the US, I worked for a global company that's based in Europe and has several thousand people working in the UK. I have a British friend that was working abroad for 8 years and returned to London in January, he told me during his interview processes that people kept saying he didn't have any UK experience, and since he was away so long he was not committed to the UK, so they didn't want to hire him. He ultimately found a job, also, but making a lot less than he thought he would, and he's British!

In the end, you need to weigh the positives about the UK (higher wages, lower overall taxes), against the positives for Canada (immediate PR, no requalifying, family immigration benefits) and figure out what's right for you.

For those of you in the UK, the wait for Canada is somewhere nearing 5 years. From the US it's around 3 years. The HSMP programme takes only a few months or less to get approved, so that's a bonus too, for people wanting to start right away.

itsme
Member of Standing

Post by itsme » Wed May 09, 2007 2:45 am

Rog wrote: Whether Canada or UK, my advise is one should only go on a work permit with a firm offer to start job with and with a view to maximise savings and go back.

hats off to your comments buddy i second them, this is what i have been saying to all my friends who are interested in coming to UK. i used to save more during my WP days than being on HSMP now.
You Can Win. Believe in Yourself.
---

RoganJosh
Newly Registered

For those who are frustated with Canada AND U.K....

Post by RoganJosh » Wed May 09, 2007 10:26 pm

For those who are frustated with Canada AND U.K....

try AUSTRALIA or NEW ZEALAND.

Both are clean, safe and peaceful nations.... although not as rich as Canada and UK, but the quality of life is simply "superb".

ADR
Newly Registered

Post by ADR » Thu May 10, 2007 12:44 am

As a Canadian who has been living in Europe for 11 years, I find the story of Rose99 very interesting.

I accept that she has accurately described her experience, particularly because I don't see all that much different in what she describes from my own experience in trying to do the same in Europe -- sad for all of us. I have received the same "no local experience" treatment in the UK, Ireland, the Netherlands and Hungary and I've ended up doing a postgraduate diploma and two masters degrees since I've been living here.

It seems to me that there is a problem with the concept of skilled migration across the world, it is something which statistics say is necessary and which most people accept on a rational level. However, no country has yet figured out how to make work quickly enough on the structural and emotional levels.

Also, there is a huge difference between being an EU citizen coming to live in the UK and a non-EU citizen coming to live in the UK so I would caution people who are non-EU citizens to remember that while things have clearly worked better for Rose99 (an EU citizen) in the UK that does not mean the same will be true for you -- just ask all those who came under HSMP and have been served with deportation notices!

rose99
Newly Registered

Hi again!

Post by rose99 » Thu May 10, 2007 12:31 pm

It seems that this topic picked up its sails again... :)

I just want to make something clear and say to ADR that I am NOT an EU citizen and have never been so I really did not get any preferential treatment here in the UK while looking for a job. I came to the UK on the HSMP visa as a Canadian with both European (but not from the EU) and Canadian educational qualifications and work experience and also used my other European citizenship (again, not from the EU) in the HSMP process as that entitled me to certain fee savings in the HSMP and FLR application process. All of this applies to my husband's situation as well.

During my job applications and interviews in London in the first two months prior to securing my first job (in management) I have NEVER been asked about my UK experience and my international experience and education were always welcomed. Also, most of my job applications in the UK have been answered, even if that was a negative answer, while in Canada NONE of my 360+ job applications during my first two years in Canada had been answered at all. Only if I called and asked about them I was told that I did not have Canadian experience and hence the employer was not interested. The same happened to all of hundreds (maybe better to say thousands) of immigrants I met through my job in Canada and is widely reported in Canadian media, debated in the Canadian parliament and is considered as a big national problem.

My first job here in London was in the very respectable national institution and it was on the management level. My second one is also in a very respectable organisation and I work as the director and board member. In Canada, even after completing a Canadian degree (on top of my European degree) and after completing a post graduate diploma and starting an MBA in one of the 3 best Canadian MBA programs, I was "lucky" to get a job as a plain secretary (working with three other Canadian born and raised secretaries in the same office who had barely managed to finish high schools through night school programs after being high school drop-outs for years) after sending hundreds of applications and only from there managed to build my way up to the management level in the same organisation. Yes, in the end that worked out fine, but why did I (and all other highly skilled immigrants) have to loose so many years in the process? Why did I have to spend my peak professional years struggling financially and educating myself at Canadian universities (learning all over again things that I had already learnt mostly on the high school level in my home country) while raising kids and not being able to grow professionally as I should?

In my personal view those two experiences from the UK and from Canada are on two different sides of spectrum and while I accept that ADR had somewhat similar experience with his/her job search in Europe I really doubt that anybody in Europe has ever asked ADR to volunteer for months/years in order to get a job in any European country. For Europeans that would be just plain rude and exploiting and in Canada that is a normal way of how things over there work. Also, I suppose that ADR was able to get all of that European education for free or at least for a very, very small fee comparing to how much that would have cost in Canada.

I agree that no country has yet figured out how to make highly skilled migration and professional /educational acceptance work quickly enough on the structural and emotional levels, but with Canada that whole situation is by far the worst example of professional discrimination and cannot be compared to the situation in the UK (nor USA) on any level. The UK, as any other country, has its own problems, but I am glad to say that I did not feel them really as such huge obstacles and my family is now sorry that we could not have come here in the first place instead of immigrating to Canada.

The topic of my master thesis was related to this problem of professional discrimination in Canada and after working for years with Canadian immigrants and trying to help them, after attending many conferences related to this problem, and after liaising with Canadian government departments and researching this whole issue for more than two years, I am more than sure when I say that the UK is a far better choice for highly skilled immigration. Even despite all of its shortcomings.

Thanks,

Rose99

ADR
Newly Registered

Post by ADR » Thu May 10, 2007 9:39 pm

To Rose99

I apologise for my assumption that you are an EU citizen. That you are not dilutes my original point somewhat but not entirely. Whether in or out of the EU, citizens of most European countries are still eligible for various forms of preferential treatment when it comes to UK immigration, as evidenced by your fee concessions.

Although I question the relevance to this topic of who paid for my education and how much it cost, for your information I paid personally for all of it and it would have been much, much cheaper for me to have gone back and gone to Canadian schools.

You clearly have an established point of view which you feel strongly about and see as definitive, so making further attempts to explore common ground or setting out my parallel stories both seem pointless.

I found your posts interesting and thoughtful, though, and wish you success.

ADR

rose99
Newly Registered

Greetings from London!

Post by rose99 » Fri May 11, 2007 1:21 pm

Sorry ADR, but I have to say this: it is not true that "citizens of most European countries are still eligible for various forms of preferential treatment when it comes to UK immigration, as evidenced by your fee concessions.â€
Last edited by rose99 on Fri May 11, 2007 9:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

BostUS
Newly Registered

Post by BostUS » Fri May 11, 2007 6:45 pm

I worked for a Canadian company's branch based in the US and I will tell you that poor immigrants in the HQ (Toronto) were always overlooked for promotions. Some of them were very deserving, but the headquarters company would rather hire from outside than to promote their workers who have accents. A completely different situation was in our subsidiary, so I have no choice but to attribute it to the Canadian business culture.

rose99
Newly Registered

Straight to the point indeed!

Post by rose99 » Fri May 11, 2007 9:57 pm

Thanks BostUS. You said it exactly how it is and in a few sentences only. I have to apologize for writing so long posts, but I can't help it. I hope they will be at least useful to somebody...

During my MBA program in Canada I met dozens of top Canadian managers and as a part of our coursework we all had to be involved in discussions related to our jobs. I am sure that all of them will forever remember me for my stories and examples related to the mistreatment of highly skilled immigrants in Canada and although most listened and learned from them, there was always a small number of them resisting and trying to shut me down saying how my "stories" were not true and how Canada treats its immigrants the best way in the world. I had an absolute support from my professors who were all familiar with the problem and how Canadian businesses and society grossly mistreat highly skilled professionals, but it still took me a while to collect all the statistics, articles from media, various reports from Canadian government and various NGOs and also from various other countries that have high influx of immigrants but treat them with a lot more professional respect, which I presented to those who were opposing my theories about the mistreatment of Canadian highly skilled immigrants. As a result, my research became my passion and I used it to write my master thesis, but it also changed mind sets of many of those top Canadian managers who started to admit how they never even bothered to look resumes of people that had education and work experience out of Canada or that had non-Canadian names. It also emerged how they did not want to consider for promotions those people who were second or third generation of immigrants who had obvious foreign names and that is exactly what you're saying here. I experienced the same treatment and degradation when my Canadian colleagues with less education and experience and far worse work results tried to boss me around and put me in "my place" as I was an immigrant, which they liked to mention very often. Despite all of that, I managed to convince my supervisor through my hard work and brilliant results that I was worth for promotion and when it happened, I experienced a lot of resentment from those Canadians with less education and skills. You call it a “Canadian business cultureâ€

sunnyday

Post by sunnyday » Sat May 12, 2007 3:32 pm

Hi Rose 99,

I found your posts very insightful, especially to people like me who have only been to Canada as a temporary visitor. While I've experienced the warmth and the friendliness of the Canadians, I have also heard about the problems of poor job prospects in their economy. There are people I know who moved to Canada as kids, grew up there and still not being ale to secure jobs. When I started to hear more similar stories, I began to wonder perhaps there are other sides of Canada that I haven't seen enough.

I understand that you have regretted moving to Canada and being treated as an immigrant with various attitudes. But at the same time I believe that your canadian life, qualification and citizenship somewhat helped you obtain valuable experience which later proves to be useful working in the UK. Had you come to the UK with croatian credentials, you would've probably found yourself in a different position by now or being treated as a true immigrant. As you know Britain has a historical tie with Canada, so being Canadian in this country puts you on a lot of advantages compared to immigrants of other origins. I see that you are not exactly proud of being Canadian and see your canadian experience as more of a rip-off. Perhaps you should appreciate more for being Canadian and be thankful for what Canada have given you. That's the way to go if you're claiming that you're Canadian, not croatian, nationalty wise.

ssi

Post by ssi » Mon May 14, 2007 12:07 am

Relevant and interesting discussion here:
http://www.expatfocus.com/index.php?nam ... 4473#14473

rose99
Newly Registered

Post by rose99 » Mon May 14, 2007 1:02 am

Hi sunnyday,

To comment on your thoughts: "Perhaps you should appreciate more for being Canadian and be thankful for what Canada have given you. That's the way to go if you're claiming that you're Canadian, not croatian, nationalty wise."

So what is the problem here exactly - one Canadian before sunnyday claimed how it was much harder for Canadians to be accepted in the UK/Europe than for the Europeans as that was his/her argument of why I have been maybe "lucky" to get a job in the UK, and when I explain how nobody in the interviewing process knew I was European, and that I am not coming from the EU, now there is somebody else (sunnyday) claiming how I have to be grateful to Canada for being able to prosper in the UK, as I could have not probably be able to be that "lucky" in the HSMP/job application process by claiming my Croatian status. So what it is really? It is not OK to be a Canadian while looking for a job in the UK/Europe and then in another opinion it is better to be a Canadian while looking for a job in the UK? Has anyone of you actually thought that it did not really matter where I was coming from and where my credentials were from and that I got two great jobs just because I have the education and professional experience (no matter from where) + obvious abilities to present myself and to go through the interviews with flying colours? The point here really is that in my opinion and experience in the UK it does not really matter that much where you are coming from and that you will be much better accepted as the highly skilled professional as long as you can show that you are really a highly skilled person with high professional capabilities, than that is the case in Canada, where it matters only if you are a Canadian without accent and with "Canadian experience". I have beaten some UK, EU, American and Australian job applicants in the interviews in London and got two management jobs only as I was the best applicant, not because I was somebody's friend/relative, or because I was coming from a certain country. And I do have an accent and did not have any UK working experince!

Also, let me get something straight here - the question for this topic was whether it is better to immigrate to Canada or the UK for a highly skilled professional, NOT whether it is better to be a Canadian moving to the UK/Europe or how one should feel after being unfairly treated by Canadians and after managing to move to the UK. I answered to the topic hoping that my answer would help highly skilled people with making their decision for moving to the UK or Canada and hoping that they would understand what Canada is really all about for highly skilled people before they spend thousands of dollars for moving to it and then realizing they made a mistake. I can understand that some of you did not like my attitude and my "ungratefulness", but let's talk about that all over again and about for what really I have to be grateful to Canada, as it is obvious to me that some of you are really not interested in the main topic of this discussion and that you really did not look at the whole picture here.

First of all, I did not go to Canada as a refuge (which means Canada did not help me financially to get in) and I have paid all my visa fees, waited for my visa to be processed for two years, had the full amount of money (and even more than that) that was required for my family to bring to Canada, and got our points for being highly skilled immigrants in the visa process. Once in Canada, we placed our money in the Canadian bank (which used it for its business for some time) and have never been on welfare or any other kind of governmental help during those years of our life in Canada. In our case, that is just a matter of pride and honour. We felt that even during our lowest points in Canada we would not apply for welfare as a matter of principle and always managed to get by using our own resources and hands - there were many times I earned money by babysitting other people's children, my husband delivered newspapers on -40C in broken boots wrapped in plastic bags, we baked our own bread, made clothes to our children out of our clothes and we bought furniture and other bits and pieces for our home at garage sales, but have never been on welfare. By the way, official Canadian statistics will tell you that the biggest users (by far majority) of welfare money and services are Canadians, not immigrants, as most ordinary Canadians think and often rub you on your nose when you dare to ask for your rights. To continue, I have paid all my dues and (high) taxes to that country, and paid for my own (very expensive) education. We haven't had a family doctor for 6 years in Ontario due to family doctor's shortage in our region (while at the same time there were 172 unemployed foreign trained doctors sitting at home in that region and fighting for their right to practice in Canada) so my family (with 3 small children) did not have proper medical care nor regular check-ups (which I am sure you know, all children need). We also haven't had our own house, as we couldn't afford it because we had to spend more than $140,000 on my and my husband's education, which resulted with a job as a secretary (my first job in Canada after living in it already for 5 years and after completing a second undergraduate degree, a postgraduate diploma and starting an MBA, not to mention my own professional credentials gained prior to coming to Canada). My husband was not even that "lucky" to get an office job (after finishing two postgraduate programs in Computer Science in Canada on top of his engineering degree from Croatia) - he worked as a courier driver from 8am to 10-11pm 7 days a week for more than three years, just to be able to feed our family as I had to be a full time student at that time and we did not have any other funds. As a result he had an extremely high car insurance to pay and we again paid our dues. If it was not for the financial help our parents from Croatia sent us very often and if I have not received a small inheritance, we would have not been able to live in Canada properly nor to move away from that country to the UK really as even after I started earning the management salary, it was not enough for us to buy a house or have enough money to make yet another intercontinental move.

So we are now in the UK and for the first time after 10 years have started earning and living as we should in our age and with our qualifications. What is even more important, we are treated with respect and able to have a decent professional life. So for what exactly I should be grateful and appreciative to Canada? Well I am in a way, as that is the country where my kids spent almost 10 years and have childhood memories, but for what price? We were professionally (and hence personally) degraded, and as a result and in order to survive were pushed by that society and its rules to spend thousands of dollars on our re-education (un-necessary) while at the same time we were not allowed to earn enough money for normal and proper life. Constant fight for survival leads people to bitterness and why on Earth should I not feel bitter? Why should I be thankful to Canada for the treatment I (and other hundreds of thousands of immigrants) was under? Canada got more from me and other highly skilled people, than we all got from it. I am sorry, but me being able to get the HSMP visa is not a result of me being a Canadian and that is simply not enough to be silent and to avoid saying things as they are. It for sure helped to get that visa much faster and I am sure it makes me look better in the eyes of the British than it looks being Bulgarian for example, but it doesn't look bad to be a Croatian in their eyes at all, once they see how capable I am as well. If only Canadians let me and other highly skilled immigrants show them all our capabilities without all of that hassle, it would have been a completely different story here at this forum, and I would have for sure said something about how it was nice being a highly skilled immigrant in Canada. As that is not the case, and as people here at this topic are asking opinions and look for other people's experiences, I am saying what the real deal with Canada is. Of course, I could have kept quiet and let people that come to this immigrationboards.com forum go and experience Canada themselves and then feel trapped and be bitter like myself, but I am not that kind of a person. If I can help, even by saying how things work over there, I will. I believe that is why this forum here exists, isn't it? And if you are not happy with that explanation, let's be it. But maybe you should also visit

www.notcanada.com or
http://www.canadaimmigrants.com/forum.asp or http://www.canadaimmigrants.com/forum_2.asp or http://www.canadaimmigrants.com/forum_3.asp

and see what other highly skilled immigrants in Canada have to say about their experience. There are also numerous resources on major Canadian newspaper's websites related to this discrimination and they were written by genuine Canadians (meaning those that are there for many generations, although I consider myself (surprise, surprise) as one as well as any other person who earned Canadian citizenship should) who write about this topic very often and would you then say they are also ungrateful the way you say about me? See, saying how things are (no matter how bad they are and how much that can hurt) does not really equal to being ungrateful, nor it means that if you got to live in one country and obtained its education (expensive and paid by yourself) and citizenship you have to be quite about that country's shortcomings. Keeping quiet would make me a hypocrite and that is something what I for sure am not.

Thanks,

Rose99