ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Shall I renew Indian Passport?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

ra_one_2011

Shall I renew Indian Passport?

Post by ra_one_2011 » Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:13 pm

Hello,
I am planning to apply for my son's Naturalisation registration next week but my son's indian passport is expiring in July. Shall I renew his passport first and then apply for his MN1 registration or apply it just now and surrender his passport as soon as I get his british passport? Is there any time limit/ expiry condition on surrendering indian passport?

ra_one_2011

Post by ra_one_2011 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:12 pm

any reply please?

nnj10

Post by nnj10 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:18 pm

AFAIK, there is no time limit on surrender of Indian passport after acquiring British passport, although there is a penalty for using Indian passport for entry to India, three months after acquiring foreign nationality.

Look through MN timelines on the forum and if you think your son's application will be approved by July then you can skip renewing his passport and apply for surrender as soon as he gets his British passport.
Surrender application by post takes no more than 10 days in my experience.

My understanding is that you can surrender expired passport as well.
You will need this to obtain PIO/OCI card for your son.
Information and/or advice provided by me is of general nature and is not intended to substitute for informed professional legal or other professional advice.

ban.s

Post by ban.s » Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:09 pm

nnj10 wrote:AFAIK, there is no time limit on surrender of Indian passport after acquiring British passport, although there is a penalty for using Indian passport for entry to India, three months after acquiring foreign nationality.
there is a penalty for retention of passpport after 3 years of obtaining foreign citizenship.

nnj10

Post by nnj10 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:10 pm

ban.s wrote:
nnj10 wrote:AFAIK, there is no time limit on surrender of Indian passport after acquiring British passport, although there is a penalty for using Indian passport for entry to India, three months after acquiring foreign nationality.
there is a penalty for retention of passpport after 3 years of obtaining foreign citizenship.
Hmm...good to know that.
Information and/or advice provided by me is of general nature and is not intended to substitute for informed professional legal or other professional advice.