ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Can non-EU spouse work, while EU spouse is unemployed

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

acme4242

Can non-EU spouse work, while EU spouse is unemployed

Post by acme4242 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:32 pm

I am a NON - EEA nationality and my wife is an Italian citizen (EEA).
We are planning to move UK.

My wife is a job seeker at present (Just came out of college) . Is it possible to move to UK for me with EEA family permit if I got a job in UK and my wife is not working nor studying ?
A question I cannot answer, if the non-EU spouse intends to work
can this be considered potential self sufficient status for the EU spouse
so to satisfy EU treaty rights ?

How is this handled in EU law and UK law ?

What about the first 3 months
can the non EU spouse work even the EU spouse is not ?

What about applying for EEA family residence card ?

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:49 pm

Yes. Can be self sufficient based on non EEA national. They will require CSI (private medical insurance) for both of them in that case.

For the purpose of the initial EEA Family Permit (if one is required), the intentions are irrelevant.

acme4242

Post by acme4242 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:05 pm

Can the non EU spouse apply for EEA residence card even his spouse is not working.

its a Chicken and egg situation, the non-EU spouse must be working for the EU spouse to be classed self sufficient.
If he is not working, she is not self sufficient.

Am I making this more complicated than it is.

sheraz7
Respected Guru

Post by sheraz7 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:44 pm

acme4242 wrote:Can the non EU spouse apply for EEA residence card even his spouse is not working.

its a Chicken and egg situation, the non-EU spouse must be working for the EU spouse to be classed self sufficient.
If he is not working, she is not self sufficient.

Am I making this more complicated than it is.
An EEA national can become self sufficient on the resources of any of its family members and even if she/he not working then any of its saving/bank balance can serve this purpose. For becoming self sufficient job income is not necessary. And there is no fixed amount as well.
Last edited by sheraz7 on Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Please donot send PM. Write in open forum to facilitate others too.
REGARDS

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:45 pm

First, the EEA national needs to prove to be self sufficient and then non EEA can work. If the non EEA can find a job before RC application is made (by using a EEA Family Permit or convincing an employer), then that's fine to support the RC application.

Similar Catch 22 exists with extended family member who are dependant on the EEA national. They are allowed to work which might mean they are not dependant any more which means they can't work so they become depdant again...