ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

5 years or 4 years 11 months for ILR?

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

goldfish
Member of Standing

5 years or 4 years 11 months for ILR?

Post by goldfish » Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:57 pm

I will be eligible for ILR on 15 June 2014 and my current HSMP / Tier 1 expires on the same day. I understand that I can apply for my ILR a month before, i.e. on 15 May 2014. However, I would be one month short of the qualifying period. I also arrived in the UK on 15 June (i.e. was not in the UK on 15 May) the year my qualifying period started.

1. Can I apply for ILR on 15 May?
2. If not, does this mean if I go for a PEO appointment I can only go on the day my current visa expires (15 June) because only then I would have completed the entire period and been in the UK at the start of my qualifying period?

barker

Post by barker » Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:17 pm

Your 5 year period can be taken from the day your visa is valid from, if you entered the UK less than 90 days after the visa was issued. Is the valid from date on the initial visa 15/6/09 or is it earlier and you entered the UK a few days later

goldfish
Member of Standing

Post by goldfish » Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:43 pm

Hi barker, I have extended my visa several times and returned after a 90+ day absence on 15 June, so the issue date of the visa was several years prior to this.

In this case, I think the qualifying period (in my case 4 years because HSMP JR, but same concept would apply if 5 years) would start on 15 June. Is that correct?

barker

Post by barker » Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:53 pm

The requirement is that if you submit your application 28 days before the 4 / 5 year anniversary of your stay in the UK you should have completed 4 / 5 years and 11 months depending on the whether you had HSMP or Tier 1.

If you entered the UK on the 15th June and complete 4 years on the 15th June 2014, you can apply in May. I am assuming that you meet all other criteria and am ignoring the actual date the visa was issued as you say you entered the UK more than 90 days after this date.

If you provide more details then other people might be able to give more specific information to you

uksettlement
India

Re: 5 years or 4 years 11 months for ILR?

Post by uksettlement » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:52 pm

goldfish wrote:I will be eligible for ILR on 15 June 2014 and my current HSMP / Tier 1 expires on the same day. I understand that I can apply for my ILR a month before, i.e. on 15 May 2014. However, I would be one month short of the qualifying period. I also arrived in the UK on 15 June (i.e. was not in the UK on 15 May) the year my qualifying period started.

1. Can I apply for ILR on 15 May? You can apply 28 before completing 5 year anniversary. Hence not 15th May but after 18th May

2. If not, does this mean if I go for a PEO appointment I can only go on the day my current visa expires (15 June) because only then I would have completed the entire period and been in the UK at the start of my qualifying period? You don't have to be in the UK for 5 years but you need visa for 5 years and can apply 28 days before being eligible
Thanks!

Disclaimer: I am no immigration lawyer nor am I OISC qualified. Suggestions given by me are based on personal experience of dealing with UKBA. Don't treat my advice as a substitute for legal opinion.

syed_ILR

Re: 5 years or 4 years 11 months for ILR?

Post by syed_ILR » Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:27 pm

goldfish wrote:I will be eligible for ILR on 15 June 2014 and my current HSMP / Tier 1 expires on the same day. I understand that I can apply for my ILR a month before, i.e. on 15 May 2014. However, I would be one month short of the qualifying period. I also arrived in the UK on 15 June (i.e. was not in the UK on 15 May) the year my qualifying period started.

1. Can I apply for ILR on 15 May?
2. If not, does this mean if I go for a PEO appointment I can only go on the day my current visa expires (15 June) because only then I would have completed the entire period and been in the UK at the start of my qualifying period?

4 years 11 months and 2 days....